sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2020 4:51 pm  #1

CBC "Gradually" Restoring Local TV News. But Do You Believe Why?

A few days ago, the CBC announced to nearly blanket condemnation that it was discontinuing all of its 6 & 11 PM local news across the country, replacing it with its cable news instead. 

Now it appears it's slowly reversing that decision. But the explanation behind it all doesn't ring true for some. Including yours truly. 

In an interview with The Current on Tuesday, CBC News boss Catherine Tait tried to undo the damage. She told host Matt Galloway that the reason the broadcasts were "temporarily" cancelled and various people reassigned was because of the extraordinary nature of the COVID-19 story. 

An associate claims the network was taking some 37 press conferences in one day from across the country, what he referred to as "lives," whereas normally they might do around only eight. And Tait offered the excuse that, because of the manpower that involved and the fact that many people were out sick or self isolating, they needed all those extra local newsbodies elsewhere.

She now says things are settling down and the locals are slowly being restored. "We had to do it to stabilize the systems, and since that date [March 17] ... we have been restoring more and more local news each day."

And she insisted the fact that both CBC Radio and CBC online were picking up the slack meant that it wasn't that serious.

CBC.ca: 'We totally understand the frustration': CBC president defends local TV news suspension amid pandemic

Hmmm. Here's why that doesn't add up for me. The CBC is the single most staffed TV news organization in the country. Where a talk show in private radio might have one producer and a screener, the CBC has multiple people handling those jobs, far more than any other place could afford. Same with their TV news division. That's due to it getting millions of dollars in taxpayer money from all of us every year. 

Yet CTV's News Channel also carried dozens of pressers during the same time and I don't recall them cancelling any local news shows. And while Global doesn't have a national cable news station, they also continued with their own 6 & 11 coverage, despite many of their own personnel being forced into 14-day isolation.

I'm not calling Tait a liar. I'm sure there was some personnel pressure. But given their staffing levels, which far exceed everyone else's, I find it almost impossible to fathom that they simply ran out of people to keep their local news on the air. And how many workers do you need to cover a press conference, beyond say, a reporter and a camera at the scene? (Even then, a pool feed is often available.)

Funny how after almost a week of endless criticism from viewers, columnists, politicians, groups like Friends of Canadian Broadcasting (which started a petition to get the shows restored), and possibly even their own staff, they're suddenly starting to reverse themselves - even though the number of press conferences haven't lessened. If anything, there seem to be more of them now than ever.

This kind of thing is just one of the reasons I've been keeping my social distance from the CBC for many, many, years. 

March 24, 2020 4:55 pm  #2

Re: CBC "Gradually" Restoring Local TV News. But Do You Believe Why?

RadioActive wrote:

A few days ago, the CBC announced to nearly blanket condemnation that it was discontinuing all of its 6 & 11 PM local news across the country, replacing it with its cable news instead. 

Now it appears it's slowly reversing that decision. But the explanation behind it all doesn't ring true for some. Including yours truly. 

In an interview with The Current on Tuesday, CBC News boss Catherine Tait tried to undo the damage. She told host Matt Galloway that the reason the broadcasts were "temporarily" cancelled and various people reassigned was because of the extraordinary nature of the COVID-19 story. 

She claims the network was taking some 37 press conferences in one day from across the country, what she referred to as "lives," whereas normally they might do around only eight. And she offered the excuse that, because of the manpower that involved and the fact that many people were out sick or self isolating, they needed all those extra local newsbodies elsewhere.

She now says things are settling down and the locals are slowly being restored. "We had to do it to stabilize the systems, and since that date [March 17] ... we have been restoring more and more local news each day."

And she insisted the fact that both CBC Radio and CBC online were picking up the slack meant that it wasn't that serious.

CBC.ca: 'We totally understand the frustration': CBC president defends local TV news suspension amid pandemic

Hmmm. Here's why that doesn't add up for me. The CBC is the single most staffed TV news organization in the country. Where a talk show in private radio might have one producer and a screener, the CBC has multiple people handling those jobs, far more than any other place could afford. Same with their TV news division. That's due to it getting millions of dollars in taxpayer money from all of us every year. 

Yet CTV's News Channel also carried dozens of pressers during the same time and I don't recall them cancelling any local news shows. And while Global doesn't have a national cable news station, they also continued with their own 6 & 11 coverage, despite many of their own personnel being forced into 14-day isolation.

I'm not calling Tait a liar. I'm sure there was some personnel pressure. But given their staffing levels, which far exceed everyone else's, I find it almost impossible to fathom that they simply ran out of people to keep their local news on the air. And how many people do you need to cover a press conference, beyond say, a reporter and a camera at the scene? (Even then, a pool feed is often available.)

Funny how after almost a week of endless criticism from viewers, columnists, politicians, groups like Friends of Canadian Broadcasting (which started a petition to get the shows restored), and possibly even their own staff, they're suddenly starting to reverse themselves - even though the number of press conferences haven't lessened. If anything, there seem to be more of them now than ever.

This kind of thing is just one of the reasons I've been keeping my social distance from the CBC for many, many, years. 

Just because management may suck doesn't mean all the programming sucks. There's long been some very good content (and, like everywhere else, some drech).

March 24, 2020 5:04 pm  #3

I don't think their content is bad, necessarily (although I do have some issues with perceived bias in favour of some political parties over others) I'm just not buying this explanation about the need to cancel local news.

March 24, 2020 5:25 pm  #4

Re local news ... I agree ... and local is how you keep journos on the ground geographically dispersed... synergy between local and national.

March 24, 2020 6:12 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I don't think their content is bad, necessarily (although I do have some issues with perceived bias in favour of some political parties over others) I'm just not buying this explanation about the need to cancel local news.

To me it sounds like the temporary cancellation of local TV news could have been as much a technical reason as anything. CBC has one master control which is through Toronto, and this is master control for all of the English CBC TV stations.  CTV has two master controls one for east (CFTO) and the other in Calgary (CFCN) for all stations in the west (except Winnipeg). This is how it was a few years ago and as far as I am aware still the set up.

So actually Tait is likely correct when she mentioned issues with staff levels and people being away, since the only master control is in Toronto.  The upside could be that CBC will look at changing this, or have a back up.  Even with radio, everything across the country all English radio is through Toronto, and has been like this for decades. 

So it sounds like some staff are no longer self isolating and they are able to bring back some of the local TV content. I am not really so sure how much larger CBC's news staff is compared to CTV's but again this was likely more of a technical staff issue, and not news.

Overall I would say that CBC News Network has been superior to CTV News Channel so far for OVID-19 coverage and CTV National News with Lisa Laflamme for me gets the thumbs up over the National on CBC. But both are doing a good job.  Global I don't really watch much.