sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 13, 2020 9:07 pm  #1

Should 640 and 1010 stay go live 24/7??

What do you think??

Last edited by cash (March 14, 2020 12:39 am)

March 13, 2020 9:28 pm  #2

Re: Should 640 and 1010 stay go live 24/7??

Nah, we need a break, seriously...it is too much coverage and it doesn't help but feed the fear and it is not good feeding that bugger, he doesn't pay the rent!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 13, 2020 9:54 pm  #3

cash wrote:

What do you think??

Just give me a heads up, so I'll get the DX that's 'behind' any channels that go silent so as not to overload us with doom and gloom. I'm a DXer, after all, your friendly neighbourhood broadcast vulture...

Seriously, I took this week up in DXland - my office is mobile so I can do that and not starve - but evenings I'd spend DXing have been spent tuning in here and there, as each evening progresses, I'm at the dials less and less. It's unpleasant to listen. Wall to wall COVID. It was a novelty for a few days. Now I'm saturated. I know what I need to know from a couple web sites (CBC, 680 news) and that's enough. That's all I need to know to make practical decisions. Like what I'll use instead of toilet paper....

March 13, 2020 10:08 pm  #4

You mean "live" 24/7 right? I don't think so. The coverage has been good so far from what I have heard but there isn't much more to report right now. Indications are it could get worse in the next few weeks.   I wish TV would stop showing empty shelves at COSTCO. This is not helping anyone. There are thousands of other stores to get toilet paper.  I was in a regular grocery store today...and guess what??  They had toilet paper!! Hand wipes and alcohol gels are bad for your skin, messes up your ph level if you use them too much. So who cares if they are hard to buy right now?  Use soap and warm water to wash your hands, much better for you, cleans just as good, and easier on your skin. And get outside get some exercise and go for a walk...get away from TV and radio news for a while, they have nothing new to report or say.

March 14, 2020 9:19 pm  #5

GNR640 actually did a few extra live shows to the station's credit during this unprecedented situation. Drex did original programming instead of a reroll on his all night national show Saturday, Mike Stafford was in co-hosting the morning show live and Alex Pierson did the early afternoon shift, all on the virus.

Roy Green's national program followed from 2-5 with a heavy emphasis on COVID-19, meaning a station that's mostly sold time on weekends had original shows on for most of it.

It may have grown tiresome to many here, but you've got to give them some credit for giving up those easy bucks to try and serve the public. Frankly, I wasn't expecting it. Good for them.

March 19, 2020 5:05 am  #6

I was surprised to hear that just after midnight Wednesday into Thursday, a Jason Agnew-hosted "Night Shift" was making its debut on the iHeartRadio network - Newstalk 1010 (whose studios Agnew broadcasts out of) and others. I could find little promotion about it and nothing on Agnew's own Twitter account about it (as of the time of this writing). This looks to be a 4-hour live programming block designed to "bring the country together and talk about things during this crisis".

1010 most recently fills this slot after midnight until 5:00 am with "Coast To Coast" and a re-roll of some programming. Traditionally they've struggled with their late night/overnight live content, with David Eddie and various other initiatives/debuts never sticking around too long. It'll be interesting to hear some live content in this block.

March 19, 2020 7:23 am  #7

John Moore talked about this on his show Thursday, indicating it was a sort of "night light" for worried listeners and will continue during the duration of the crisis. I guess Coast to Coast is no longer being heard in Toronto until further notice (although it's still available on a zillion stations elsewhere.)

What happens to Sunday Morning Trivia? No word yet, but it's going to be hard to do overnights during the week and the two hours on the final day of the weekend for any length of time without burning out.

March 19, 2020 7:38 am  #8

Speaking of weekends, that overly long feature RB runs on them called FYI with Glen Crouter is off the air until further notice. The segment was about all the various events going on in Ontario, and since there aren't events going on anymore, the feature can't exist. When this finally ends it might be back, but it's gone for now.

March 19, 2020 7:59 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of weekends, that overly long feature RB runs on them called FYI with Glen Crouter is off the air until further notice. The segment was about all the various events going on in Ontario, and since there aren't events going on anymore, the feature can't exist. When this finally ends it might be back, but it's gone for now.

Definitely the most logical idea. I heard this past Saturday's edition of that segment and it was hopelessly and embarrassingly/laughably out of date - talking about, I believe, the St. Patrick's Day parade, ski hills, some plays (and perhaps even the CN Tower) where some of them had been shut down as of a day or two prior. Dave Trafford half-apologized and referred to snarky text messages coming out of the segment advising him of same. I thought perhaps they pre-tape that segment a day or two ahead of time and it's not really "live" - if it were, Crouter came across as really clueless.

March 19, 2020 10:14 am  #10

Not something most here would notice, but Marc Patrone, who does mid-mornings on Sauga 960 AM, was supposed to be on vacation this week. He came back, he says, "at the request of the station," and his line-up of guest hosts has been scrapped. He admitted he's working from home and while it does sound a bit muddy, it's hard to tell because CKNT always sounds a bit muddy. 

Probably a good idea for him to come back, not that there's a large listener base. But this is a time of crisis and you want all hands on deck. And not only that, but March Break aside, why would anyone want to be on vacation right now? You can't fly anywhere, you can't go anywhere in town and you're not even supposed to see people. 

I'd rather be working till this blows over.