sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2020 9:23 pm  #1

A Classic Radio Story Many Will Find Familiar

I wasn’t actually going to post this because it’s not about a local radio station and it features a ton of names most of us have probably never heard of.  So it’s not for everyone.

But it’s a terrific – although very long – yarn about a Boston all sports radio station owned by a Microsoft co-founder and what happened on its way to trying to take on its much bigger market leader.

I see echoes in this yarn of CKFH vs. CHUM and CJCL when they were the first all sports format in Toronto on 1430, with a transmitter that essentially broadcast into Lake Ontario. It’s also reminiscent of TSN 1050 vs. The Fan.

The station was at 1510 in Boston (soon to be replaced by the reincarnation of WMEX, a classic AM Top 40 station in that city) and dared to take on market leader WEEI.

Among the highlights – the morning man comes into work, opens the newspaper as he’s getting ready to go on the air, only to see a headline that he’s been fired. Only problem is, he didn’t know anything about it.

“We start the show and we’re reading the article…And we’re like, “Hey, guess who’s getting fired today?...” The show remained on the air until 7:20 a.m.

Adams: So in a commercial break, I go into his office and say, “What the [expletive] is going on?” And he says, “I’m sorry you found out this way.” And I say, “Well, do you want me to go on the air, or do you want me to go to network,” which was Sporting News Radio. And he says, “Oh, just go to network.” And we walked out, all of us.”

Then there’s the signal that broadcast straight into the lake.

“The signal apparently had an easterly signal, and I remember Bob Lobel told me one time, he was on a boat and it came in great, and it’s a great station if you’re a fish.”

Or the guy who had a bad habit of losing control on air.

“Max [was]… a bit late, because some security guard asked to see his credential as he was heading back. He throws on the headset, and mutters something about “that [expletive-expletive] security guard.” There’s a long pause, then Grande says, “You know you’re on the air, right?”

In the end, the place went bust, but this oral history of a station gone wrong is quite remarkable. Even if you don’t know the players, this is a classic radio story and almost everyone who ever worked in the business will be able to relate to at least some part of it.

An oral history of Boston sports radio’s 1510 The Zone

March 11, 2020 9:48 am  #2

Re: A Classic Radio Story Many Will Find Familiar

Today WEEI  has all the competition it can handle and they are currently looking up at them. According to Stationratings.com, WBZ FM is 4th in the Boston market with a 5.8 share. WEEI sits a still respectable 7th with a 4.2 share. Helping BZ out is the fact that they have the broadcast rights to the Patriots, Bruins and Celtics. WEEI has the Red Sox.

March 11, 2020 10:53 pm  #3

Like many direxional stns near the Atlantic, they dumped signal into the ocean. In the far west Boston suburbs, WKBW on 1520 always splattered onto whatever station was on 1510 (including WMEX in its top-40 glory days).

Last edited by TomSanders (March 11, 2020 11:41 pm)

May 27, 2020 11:13 am  #4

I noticed that WMEX came back as an oldies station this week. Won't mean much to many here, but the station was legendary in its day. (Although it's now licenced to Quincy, Mass., not Boston.) I was listening to their online stream - which is not geoblocked for a change -and while it's the usual standard fare for an oldies format, it sounded pretty good - including the vintage jingles. 

Sample playlist for the past 15 minutes: (and how could they NOT play the Standells' Dirty Water at least once?)

Windy - The Association
Take Good Care of My Baby - Bobby Vee
Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - Spinners
Ain't No Sunshine - Bill Withers
I Can Help - Billy Swan
Soul Man - Sam & Dave
This Magic Moment - Jay & The Americans
Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens
Dirty Water - Standells 

They also have a few of their vintage jocks back, and it's always welcome to have people who actually know the music playing it. You can have a listen here

WMEX Website