sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2020 12:05 pm  #2

Re: CBC Picks Up a Little Cash

This is one example of why the CBC does have some value. 

Would any other broadcaster have tried to do an expose like this?  

February 29, 2020 12:45 pm  #3

I country without a public broadcaster is a country without a soul.

Have at it...

February 29, 2020 2:02 pm  #4

I'm sure it's been kicked about before, but I would have no issue if there was a system like in the UK for the BBC.  I have no cable, watch CBC Toronto and pay for the Gem app.. a measly $5 a month.  There is good value in our National broadcaster...

February 29, 2020 2:43 pm  #5

Peter the K wrote:

This is one example of why the CBC does have some value. 

Would any other broadcaster have tried to do an expose like this?  

I have to agree. I don't think any news program covers things better than CBC's Marketplace. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 29, 2020 4:26 pm  #6

Marketplace is good. Fifth Estate does some very good stuff, occasionally a little uneven. CBC Radio's The Current is also uneven in the sense that it covers some really serious stuff in depth quite well but one segment will be light or fluffy or totally inconsequential. Having Q right after The Current is rather abrupt. Q feels so trivial in direct comparison. But this fits my morning routine well because I'm at my desk no later than 10am. 

One beef I have with various interviews on CBC and elsewhere is when questions seem like a command. "Tell me about this or that..." I'm not suggesting prefacing it with Please - that also wouldn't necessarily sound right. But how about: "I'm curious, what happened...?" or "That's an interesting point, can you elaborate...?" I also don't like questions that leave the interviewer sounding self-righteous and the interviewee somehow morally lacking. No matter how morally lacking they may in fact be. It amazes me that some of the biggest names out there commit all of these.

March 1, 2020 12:34 am  #7

Dial Twister wrote:

I country without a public broadcaster is a country without a soul.

Have at it...

I have said something like this about AM radio. A town without an AM station is a town without a soul.

March 1, 2020 8:59 am  #8

A good place to pick up a little cash is Country 93, FM 93.7 (Owen Sound) Sunday mornings 7 - 9:00 a.m.

Johnny & June Carter Cash