sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 11, 2015 11:58 am  #1

By the Numbers: Toronto Fall 2015 PPM Ratings

The Numeris Fall 2015 PPM rating results for Toronto have been released. During the thirteen week rating period covering August 31st to November 29th, there was a lot going on in the news including the federal election campaign, Justin Trudeau winning the election, Syrian refugee drama, the Blue Jays and the Paris terrorist attacks.

While a lot of people may have gone to watch the news unfold on social media or television, radio was still a major player for providing up to date information according to the ratings. Newstalk 1010, 680News and The FAN590 got a boost in the latest rating period when compared to the results of the Spring and Winter Numeris PPM ratings.

That said, TSN 1050 didn't capitalize on the Blue Jays to increase their ratings. It didn't help that the competition broadcast the games and listeners stayed with that radio station to talk about it rather than switch over to TSN 1050.

The ratings also showed that no one thinks about tuning to AM640 when big news happens. Like TSN 1050, that radio station is going nowhere in a hurry. See for yourself. The ratings don't lie.

http://kowchmedia.com/by-the-numbers-toronto-fall-2015-ppm-ratings/

Last edited by kowchmedia (December 11, 2015 11:58 am)

December 11, 2015 12:28 pm  #2

Re: By the Numbers: Toronto Fall 2015 PPM Ratings

AM 640 long ago lost any pretense at being a go-to station for any major news event. They don't appear to have any reporters, they never spend two cents to cover a live presser unless it's streamed at someone else's expense (and even then), their newscasts are three minutes long and part of their PM drive time show is pre-taped, meaning anything breaking that happens during that hour has to wait 60 minutes. Many times their hosts seem clueless about breaking stories until well after it appears on the wire - rarely the case of their nearest competitor down the dial at 1010. 

Having said that, there are some things I like about 640 and it's my hope that the new PD will take steps not to kill the format but augment it so they can do it properly. I very much doubt that will happen, especially given the outlet's years and years of being stuck around a 2.1 rating (and that was with the Leaf rights)  but we'll see. 

December 11, 2015 4:10 pm  #3

More people listen to JazzFm than to TSN 1050.  Yikes!

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 11, 2015 4:46 pm  #4

There was a BBM Period where a family with 4 or 5 adults and umpteen kids got their hands on books, and voila! through the magic of accurate ratings, Classical 96 or whatever it was called at that point, was the #1 station in all demos in Toronto.   First thing I thought of when I read about the popularity of Country in Hamilton.

ig.

Leslieville Bill wrote:

More people listen to JazzFm than to TSN 1050.  Yikes!

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 14, 2015 7:07 pm  #5

I had a look at the Toronto numbers and why are there no AM drive, midday and PM drive ratings? They were posted for the Spring 2015 book. Also, CBC Radio One and Two are missing. 99.1 has always had excellent ratings which put them pretty close to CHUM FM and CHFI.