sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2020 4:41 pm  #1

Giant FM Welland Sold But No Format Change For Now

CIXL, known to most as Giant FM, the station at 91.7 in Welland has a new owner - Stingray Radio. The CRTC approved the deal - which also includes co-owned but lesser powered CKYY-FM - on Friday after the station's owner announced he wanted to get out of the radio business. The price for both stations: $6,500,000.

The station is easily receivable in both Toronto and Buffalo and has a killer signal, and the CRTC decision approving the sale notes there are no plans for now to change the format of either property.

There were a few minor notes of interest in the announcement:

"...the vendor, Mr. Holgate, indicated that he wishes to retire from the broadcasting industry. He argued that since the Niagara Region is saturated with radio signals from neighbouring markets, including the United States, and since advertisers are increasingly using Internet advertising, it is more difficult for radio stations to generate revenues. In Mr. Holgate’s view, to maintain investments in programming, CIXL-FM and CKYY-FM need to benefit from the operational efficiencies of larger radio groups."

But that may not mean everyone gets to keep their job.

"Stingray Radio...stated that for the time being, it has no plans to change the stations’ formats or musical programming and will continue to be involved in local events. The applicant also proposed to improve the content aired by the stations by including well-known personalities from its Canada-wide network." 

The licences expire on August 31, 2026.

CRTC Decision

February 7, 2020 6:12 pm  #2

Re: Giant FM Welland Sold But No Format Change For Now

I'd gladly get out of the radio business for $6.5 mil. Am willing to entertain offers for all my DX equipment.

Last edited by Saul (February 7, 2020 6:12 pm)

February 7, 2020 6:43 pm  #3

The stations' formats probably make sense as is, and they happen to be (or close to) the two formats with the most stations in Stingray's portfolio, making the "operational efficiencies" that much easier. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 7, 2020 7:12 pm)

February 7, 2020 7:04 pm  #4

Saul, I got a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and an Iraqui Dinar bank note? Do we have a deal? Meet me half way on this...sure it's not 6.5 million...but we can negotiate a win-win deal, I am sure!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 7, 2020 7:13 pm  #5

One would think that Stingray would not want to mess with CIXL - The Giant. Giant is #1 in the market and #2 in the number of listeners.However, the undernoted declaration suggests all is not safe for some of the on air people.

"The applicant also proposed to improve the content aired by the stations by including well-known personalities from its Canada-wide network." 

February 7, 2020 7:49 pm  #6

Can the improvement of content be playlist-related especially on Giant? (I know nothing about New Country, so can't comment on Country 89). I loved Giant when it first flipped to classic rock because they threw in lots of deeper album tracks, even the CanCon was well done. But I gave up on Giant, because it seems Prism, Gowan and Honeymoon Suite are in hourly rotation, and they really need to give Joan Jett a rest.

February 7, 2020 7:52 pm  #7

Storm wrote:

"The applicant also proposed to improve the content aired by the stations by including well-known personalities from its Canada-wide network." 

Wow! Gotta love their uncreative use of euphemisms. 

February 7, 2020 8:40 pm  #8

Stingray only had 6 stations in Ontario, so the addition of two more helps them locally. Good price for the two  at $6.5 million. 77WABC in New York went for $12 million last summer.  Stingray is also creeping up on Bell Media for most radio stations owned. Bell has 109 stations and Stingray is 4 or 5 stations behind.

Never really hear much about radio in Welland, Niagara Falls, St. Catherines or even Hamilton. These stations close to the border really have their work cut out for them, with lots of out of town competition to the north and south. All of the major Toronto stations come in loud and clear.

February 7, 2020 9:16 pm  #9

Does "for now" mean they're doing music tests in the area to see what else might be (more) profitable? 

When Giant first launched it was a "Giant" Variety hits station originally, so the format has already been changed once in it's life as an FM radio station. 

February 7, 2020 9:35 pm  #10

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Saul, I got a Wayne Gretzky rookie card and an Iraqui Dinar bank note? Do we have a deal? Meet me half way on this...sure it's not 6.5 million...but we can negotiate a win-win deal, I am sure!

Sorry to drive a hard bargain here, Joe, but I already have a Gretzky-signed stick and a childhood coin collection in the basement.

February 8, 2020 7:50 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Does "for now" mean they're doing music tests in the area to see what else might be (more) profitable? 

When Giant first launched it was a "Giant" Variety hits station originally, so the format has already been changed once in it's life as an FM radio station. 

They do not do music tests in markets of that size.

February 8, 2020 8:49 pm  #12

Is the station's location the same as the former CHOW 1470 AM?

February 9, 2020 2:17 pm  #13

Yes

February 10, 2020 10:42 am  #14

Doubt the format will change much or at all.  Stingray also does a great job with classic hits formats.

Great station indeed.

February 10, 2020 10:56 am  #15

markow202 wrote:

Doubt the format will change much or at all.  Stingray also does a great job with classic hits formats.
Great station indeed.

I believe the word we're looking for here is "tweaked" maybe?