sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2020 1:41 pm  #1

Strange Timing For An Ad That Aired On CTV's Noon News

I know that a lot of TV ads are bought long before they actually run, but I was kind of surprised to be watching CTV's Noon News on Wednesday and see a familiar ad for Newfoundland tourism, touting the allure of visiting the island as it looks in the summer. 

Seemed a bit out of place, considering they just had a record setting 70+cm of snow there this week, declared a state of emergency and called in the army to help clear the streets. Not exactly where I want to go on vacation right now!

I know when there's a plane crash, all airline spots are often temporarily pulled. I'm guessing they don't necessarily do that in cases like this. Maybe they should. Knowing what's going on there this week, it looked totally out of place.

January 22, 2020 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Strange Timing For An Ad That Aired On CTV's Noon News

Not a reason to pull an ad because a beautiful area is covered in snow in winter. 

January 22, 2020 2:35 pm  #3

markow202 wrote:

Not a reason to pull an ad because a beautiful area is covered in snow in winter. 

I don't completely disagree but considering that we just saw a story on the same newscast about how serious things are there, including a guy who went missing at the height of the storm and is now possibly dead, it's just odd timing to remind people to Come From Away right now. You might wait a few weeks until things calm down a bit. 

And I actually quite like the ad campaign overall. Can't say that about too many spots these days. 

January 22, 2020 2:46 pm  #4

Those are great ads. Now is the time to play them and start advertising for summer vacations . They are also gently reminding all of us folks "from away" that there is much more to Newfoundland and Labrador than winter storms. I saw an ad last night in prime time, so this is intentional, and besides,  the island wasn't destroyed like Puerto Rico when they had the hurricane a few years ago. I'll bet the province will have a record number for visitors this year. And if you go, you will be treated right and have more laughs and joy than you have had in a long, long time!

January 22, 2020 2:54 pm  #5

Just for fun, I dialed the number at the end of the ad and spoke to a guy who represents the tourism division. He admitted they weren't exactly being overwhelmed with calls right now, but like the rest of you, insisted that the summers there are a highlight of the year and the province wanted to remind people of that.

Like so many Islanders, he had a great sense of humour and we shared a good laugh. Overall, it was a very pleasant conversation. Gotta love the folks way out east. They're the only ones in North America with an extra half hour tacked onto their time zone! Totally unique.

January 22, 2020 3:15 pm  #6

imho, it's a great time for this ad. seeing a pleasant summertime image, in the dead of winter, increases it's feel good moment. a feel good moment linked to the advertised client = positive anchoring... and that could lead to $$.

January 22, 2020 4:25 pm  #7

First, Nfld didn't get nuked off the face of the Earth. They got one of the heaviest snowfalls ever there.

Second, the fact tat they got one of the heaviest snowfalls ever for the province doesn't mean they're not eager for your tourist dollars this spring/summer/fall. In fact, maybe your tourist dollars will be really appreciated by people who suffer economic losses or hardship from the storm.

Third, Newfoundland paid for the ad and is expecting it to run. It's not like hundreds of children were snuffed out in the storm and the ad might be ill timed.

If this kind of event makes advertising in bad taste, then the climate change impact scenarios scientists are  anticipating stand to put an end to advertising.

January 22, 2020 7:04 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I know that a lot of TV ads are bought long before they actually run, but I was kind of surprised to be watching CTV's Noon News on Wednesday and see a familiar ad for Newfoundland tourism, touting the allure of visiting the island as it looks in the summer. 

You prefer an ad for Expedia encouraging everyone to visit in winter, maybe? 
 "Feel it! It's Winter in Alberta" is their ad...you prefer that they replace the word "Alberta" with "Newfoundland"? 

The ad for summer visits is fine as far as I care.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.