sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2020 12:25 pm  #1

Quick note to the traffic reporters

The ongoing traffic event taking place at the 401 eastbound in Whitby is the result of a 'sinkhole', not a 'pothole', as I've heard it repeatedly described. A pothole refers to delamination of the pavement surface, whereas a sinkhole is a breach the road's foundation.

January 2, 2020 9:11 am  #2

Re: Quick note to the traffic reporters

One of my biggest bugaboos for traffic, news and hosts ..... "a cement truck is blocking ...." "workers are pouring cement" "cement is falling from".

Concrete, of which cement is a component along with sand aggregate water and other additives, is what is, being transported in a truck, being poured or is falling.

If a truck carrying loaves of bread is blocking a lane would the report be "a flour truck is blocking ....", as flour is a component of bread as cement is a component of concrete.

January 2, 2020 1:24 pm  #3

The cement vs. concrete issue was something that my father would comment on from time to time, and I still had trouble remembering which word I should use. I still find that I have to stop myself from saying cement when I'm referring to concrete. It's partly because I haven't really used either (whereas my father had), but I think it's also because I've heard cement used incorrectly so many times. Maybe radio announcers influenced me more in that regard when I was young than my father did. 

January 2, 2020 1:37 pm  #4

I think we may need concrete rules to cement this difference into people's heads...

January 2, 2020 1:40 pm  #5

Sigh!  LOL

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

January 2, 2020 2:58 pm  #6

Maybe this would help ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1pWx6uui8

January 3, 2020 9:36 am  #7

Lorne wrote:

Maybe this would help ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1pWx6uui8

I had never heard the Eddie Rambeau version of "Concrete And Clay", only the version performed by the Unit Four Plus Two. Interesting that both versions debuted on the Hot 100 May 1, 1965 and charted for only 9 weeks. The Unit version peaked at #28. The Rambeau version #35.

January 3, 2020 7:31 pm  #8

CHUM charted the two versions together. The Unit 4 + 2 version was the original, and combined with the fact that it charted higher on Billboard it's understandable that it's the one that you normally hear. But I liked Rambeau's version as well, and so (to borrow from the name of Dale Patterson's online station) I thought I'd go for an "Oh Wow!" moment here. Thanks for listening.