sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2019 8:18 pm  #1

CityNews Inserting “QR Codes” Into Some Stories

I’m not entirely sure if this is meant to be innovative – or old hat. But either way, I’ve noticed that CityNews has been putting a so-called “QR Code” (see pic, below) in some of their news stories of late, supposedly so cell phone users can use their cameras to go to a site for more info.

On the surface, it looks like a good idea. But isn’t this rather old fashioned? I rarely see these codes used anymore for whatever reason. Besides, they don’t stay on the screen very long and there’s no real advance notice that they’re coming, so by the time you get your phone ready, they’re gone.

I’d be curious to know if anyone uses them and if so, whether they find them worthwhile.

December 24, 2019 12:44 pm  #2

Re: CityNews Inserting “QR Codes” Into Some Stories

RadioActive wrote:

I’m not entirely sure if this is meant to be innovative – or old hat. But either way, I’ve noticed that CityNews has been putting a so-called “QR Code” (see pic, below) in some of their news stories of late, supposedly so cell phone users can use their cameras to go to a site for more info.

On the surface, it looks like a good idea. But isn’t this rather old fashioned? I rarely see these codes used anymore for whatever reason. Besides, they don’t stay on the screen very long and there’s no real advance notice that they’re coming, so by the time you get your phone ready, they’re gone.

I’d be curious to know if anyone uses them and if so, whether they find them worthwhile.

Just press rewind and capture the QR code. (or press pause during live TV) Problem solved.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 24, 2019 1:39 pm  #3

Very 2011. Will Rogers start broadcasting the news in 3D next, too?

December 24, 2019 1:59 pm  #4

I need to occasionally use QR codes with a couple of apps where I have desktop versions, and which require me to use my phone on their QR code if the desktop version has been logged out. But I was just thinking recently that I don't normally encounter them anywhere else any more, whereas I would sometimes see them used in ads in the past. I certainly wouldn't use one to access more info for a news story, even though I watch a lot of news ... if I need more info on a story, I'd find it easier to just do a search for it myself. But I'm also not seeing them used for news stories anywhere else. 

December 24, 2019 2:44 pm  #5

And I think that was my original question: does anyone still use these any more? Like Lorne and Retaw, I used to see them all the time, on everything. But not for a few years. It seems a bit late to introduce something that was once cutting edge, but is now, for lack of a better analogy, pretty dull.

December 24, 2019 4:30 pm  #6

Exactly. I find them useful for the situations I mentioned with those apps; a quick scan of the code, and I'm logged back in. But otherwise, I think Retaw's response nails it ... I couldn't even recall when I last saw them used elsewhere, at least on any kind of regular basis. 

December 25, 2019 1:05 pm  #7

The usefulness of QR codes was in question way back in 2013, and earlier...
https://marketingland.com/the-death-of-the-qr-code-37902