sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 10, 2019 1:15 pm  #1

The Most Idiotic & Arrogant Thing Said On Local Radio In 2019

I honestly thought I might get through the year without having an example of the dumbest thing said on local radio in the past 365 days. It took until Dec. 10th before it happened.

I was driving around doing some errands Tuesday morning, when I decided to tune into the Zelda Young Show on CHIN-FM, a program I occasionally monitor. Although it’s been discussed here before (and was recently sanctioned by the CBSC), in case you’re not familiar with it, it’s a long running program that’s aimed primarily at Toronto’s Jewish community, but usually has some very well spoken experts as guests.

Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for its host. Which brings me to the aforementioned comment. She started out with a story about a man beaten almost to death in a Paris subway station because some hate filled a-holes heard him speak Hebrew. It’s a terrible story and one I hadn’t heard about.

She then brought on her next guest and talked to him about it. And then she said something like this: This brutal beating shows the hate that can happen from anti-Semitism. But it’s not that much different here. I simply can’t understand why people in Toronto don’t support this show and advertise on this show, the only one of its kind that I’ve been doing for years. It’s the same kind of situation that led to a man getting beaten up. People should advertise here and we should have more sponsors than we do.

Not an exact quote but that’s the gist. There was a prolonged silence while her guest, a prominent GTA rabbi, appeared to be reflecting on that statement. He responded, quite rightly (but not in these words) that there’s no comparison between someone getting the shit beaten out of him over religious hatred and a lack of sponsorship.

Zelda, of course, was undaunted, insisting she was right, that was her opinion and one equaled the other.

What an arrogant, idiotic, tone deaf and dumb comparison to make. She’s been on the air buying time on CHIN for decades.

I keep hoping she’ll get better.

She never does.

It tops my nomination for the worst thing said on local radio this year. 

December 10, 2019 2:58 pm  #2

Re: The Most Idiotic & Arrogant Thing Said On Local Radio In 2019

She could certainly have positioned it better but.. Didn't you kind of prove her point?  It's paid programing and she's paying to bring these stories to her audience.  (or at least her existing sponsors are..)

>> It’s a terrible story and one I hadn’t heard about.

>> I simply can’t understand why people in Toronto don’t support this show and advertise on this show, the only one of its kind that I’ve been doing for years. 

It very much is the only one of it's kind and she's obviously bringing stories to the forefront that need to be told but are ignored by MSM.  There's a value to what she's doing, and I know from personal experience, brokered toronto radio time is far from cheap.

I know of her, don't know her, and have never listened to the show, but considering she was only speaking to those who are listening and presumably enjoying her content, in a cringingly presented fashion, she does have a point.  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

December 10, 2019 3:19 pm  #3

We don't disagree often, but using a tragedy as an excuse to try and find more sponsors is, to me, simply breathtakingly tone deaf and unconscionable. Even her guest made note of how inappropriate it was. Yet she arrogantly insisted they were the same thing.

And it isn't the first time she's done it. But it may have been the most blatant.

Yep, someone beating another person to a pulp is exactly the same as not being able to find sponsors. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I get your point, but she should have known better. There's a time and place for shilling for future business.  

This certainly wasn't it. 

December 10, 2019 5:04 pm  #4

Incredible. It would be good if she finds that she has even fewer sponsors as a result of what she said on that show.

December 10, 2019 6:54 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

She doesn't have a 'My Pillow' shilling gig, yet?

First, she has to shill the gauntlet of crap: Frank Leo, Tommy, Tommy whatever Fab-u-less, whatever dealership Carrasco is working at this week, Sierra Sil and Oinksy: the hemorrhoid cream that is also an oven cleaner.

December 11, 2019 8:47 am  #6

Personally, I have never heard of Zelda Young, other than when she is mentioned here, because I never listen to CHIN. For those of you, who would like to sample her show, it airs M-F 11AM-NOON on 91.9 and Sundays from 8AM-10AM on 1540. I believe her father, Sam Yuchtman, was the original host of The Jewish Show.