sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2019 9:40 am  #1

Wow, one week later and the Don Cherry fall out is still buzzing

The latest news is how Canadians are canceling their Sports Net cable packs...this issue is perhaps bigger than it is...On Breakfast Television this morning they were discussing Ron's segment on Saturday's HNIC and how healing has to happen...

In this report, it shares how Canadians are canceling their Sportsnet Subscriptions...interesting fall out from all of this for sure and my gut feeling is just like the SNC Lavalin affair earlier this year, this Don Cherry issue might be a media Christmas gift that keeps on giving for a few more weeks...

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2019/11/people-canceling-sportsnet-don-cherry/?fbclid=IwAR04buw1Fcgr5QBzwOC431WX1oFdACUnaI7qGNd67SJ6Z1efdJurqJPmRd0

I wonder what the ratings were like during the usual Coaches Corner segment, like an accident on the highway, I am sure more people tuned in to rubber neck and see what was what.

Comment away Big Yella

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 18, 2019 11:41 am  #2

Re: Wow, one week later and the Don Cherry fall out is still buzzing

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

The latest news is how Canadians are canceling their Sports Net cable packs...this issue is perhaps bigger than it is.

Why are people stopping there? Why not cancel their entire cable subscription? Or, better yet, renounce their Canadian citizenship (is Cherry even Canadian) and move to the U.S.? No, wait, they should take the ultimate solution and commit Seppuku.  

This is simply ridiculous. This is a victim of the 24-hour "breaking" news cycle. That said, I am incredibly happy that THIS is the major problem in our Great Land. There are countries out there where there is constant war -- whilst, here in the North 49th, the big deal is.... a sentence from a week ago.

November 18, 2019 1:07 pm  #3

No doubt it'll be an issue in the next election. In fact, I understand preparations are already underway for coverage of the 10th anniversary...

November 19, 2019 12:40 am  #4

If the Leafs were doing better they wouldn't be cancelling.  People lie.

"I won't be able to watch NHL, half of the Raptors games or Blue Jays anymore!  Take that, Rogers!"

November 19, 2019 3:12 am  #5

I can't help but wonder if an underlying reason for Don's dismal, was simply the cost of his contract.

The current Budweiser sponsorship of the segment aside, we all know that the 12 year NHL rights deal is costing Rogers large.  Look back to this past summer and the round of layoffs.

An opportunity to dismiss Cherry presented itself, and Rogers does so with "cause".  Money saved...

just a theory...  

November 19, 2019 4:31 am  #6

Glen Warren wrote:

I can't help but wonder if an underlying reason for Don's dismal, was simply the cost of his contract.

The current Budweiser sponsorship of the segment aside, we all know that the 12 year NHL rights deal is costing Rogers large.  Look back to this past summer and the round of layoffs.

An opportunity to dismiss Cherry presented itself, and Rogers does so with "cause".  Money saved...

just a theory...  

I like that theory. Sounds bang on! Anything Rogers can do cheaper, they will...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.