sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 13, 2019 10:06 am  #1

What Happens To All Those Daytime TV Simulcasts In Canada?

Some here may remember the early 1970s, when American daytime TV was taken over by a guy with huge white eyebrows, who appeared for hours and hours and hours every day for months. His name was Sen. Sam Ervin and he was the guy in charge of the Watergate hearings against then President Richard Nixon.

Flash forward several decades and it looks like history is about to repeat itself with the latest attempt to impeach Donald Trump. Politics aside, the American networks have let it be known they intend to cover these now public hearings wall-to-wall, even in an age when cable news networks could certainly do the job.

Which leads to this question: what do the Canadian networks that simulcast a host of American shows do, especially if this thing drags on for weeks? What does City TV sub in for “Let’s Make A Deal” or “The Price Is Right?” How does CTV fill in for “The View,” which will likely go on hiatus until this is over? And what about Global, which schedules soap “The Young & The Restless” as a lead-in for its 5:30 news?

It will be interesting to see what they do when simultaneous substitution goes from being an advantage for a Canadian network to a real problem.

November 13, 2019 10:24 am  #2

Re: What Happens To All Those Daytime TV Simulcasts In Canada?

Perhaps wall-to-wall of: 

November 13, 2019 10:25 am  #3

I believe it's only PBS that's going wall-to-wall

November 13, 2019 11:49 am  #4

Not sure what the schedule is, but it's on every major U.S. network on Wednesday morning. 

November 13, 2019 12:05 pm  #5

City is showing an episode of CityLine in place of TPIR. CTV has The View, which I suspect is a rerun, because ABC is still in the hearings. 

It's going to be a long week at these places if this continues for a while.  

November 13, 2019 6:14 pm  #6

It will affect me -- I unbashfully am a multi-decade old viewer of General Hospital (on City). ABC already made advance programming announcements: the U.S. will get the Hearings today, Canada will get a new episode of GH and then a repeat for us "them people" tomorrow. Beyond that, City will most likely fill with that prostitute infomercial: "Dr. Hoe". The good streetwalker's ad plays all night on just about every channel. His budget must rival the My Pillow buys (now selling towels, incontinence products, and some kind of margarine meant for older adults needing to spice up their nocturnal relations.) 

November 13, 2019 6:24 pm  #7

Yes the juicer, had one of those many years ago. Kind of messy and you go through pounds of veggies to get a glass of juice. 

Wouldn't the Canadian channels just play some repeats of shows? And a lot of the daytime programming is  syndicated and likely wouldn't be affected  as much by the impeachment hearings. Looks like it would only impact part of Global, City and CTV's daytime schedule anyway.  CHCH and CBC not a factor at all.

If the US networks show wall to wall coverage, it will be a ratings killer for them, so even if the Canadian channels offered repeats or later some substitute programming, won't hurt their ratings nearly as much, in fact it might even help them.  I would be surprised if all the US networks program all day coverage for weeks and weeks. After a while the affiliates will have some say about that. And if something earth shattering happens they can always just break into regular programming.

November 13, 2019 7:38 pm  #8

Back in the 70's, during the Watergate hearings, the U.S. networks rotated coverage to reduce the interruption of game shows and soap operas that ran daily from 10AM to 4PM. Today, most of the soaps and game shows are gone and the networks have returned most of the daytime hours back to their affilliates.

November 13, 2019 8:32 pm  #9

I remember watching the Watergate hearings on PBS (WNED-TV) in the evenings back in 1973. They were spellbinding.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 13, 2019 8:58 pm  #10

mace wrote:

Today, most of the soaps and game shows are gone

Including, it appears, one of the last of the big survivors, which has been running on NBC for an astounding 56 years.

Entire Days of Our Lives Cast Released From Contract

November 14, 2019 8:46 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

mace wrote:

Today, most of the soaps and game shows are gone

Including, it appears, one of the last of the big survivors, which has been running on NBC for an astounding 56 years.

Entire Days of Our Lives Cast Released From Contract

Yes 56 years is an impressive amount of time to be on the air. Guiding Light spent an even more impressive 72 years on CBS. Radio-1937-1956. TV-1952-2009.

November 15, 2019 5:51 pm  #12

Just saw this on CTV News Channel. Nielson is saying that an estimated 13.8 million people watched the live coverage of the impeachment proceedings in the US on Wednesday.

Still, must be a ratings, revenue killer for the networks covering this. Big stretches with no breaks for commercials and the 13.8 million audience is split between many channels and networks covering the sessions.

Last edited by paterson1 (November 15, 2019 5:52 pm)

November 15, 2019 9:20 pm  #13

Global blew it big time with Days of our Lives this week.  Thursday's episode wasn't preempted on NBC but Global ran an episode of Days from a few days ago.  They lost their simsub as a result.  Today, Friday, it was preempted on NBC so Global ran the episode they should have actually run yesterday. 

Yes, I used to be addicted to Days.  I thought crystal meth would be a safer alternative but they've been getting downright silly with their plots these last few months and that did it for me.  If they decide to pull the plug on the show, I really hope they will give a proper finale like CBS did with As the World Turns.