sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2019 5:08 pm  #1

Mini-CFTR News Reunion Pic Includes Larry Silver

Further to the CFUN thread, a friend sent me this picture, apparently taken in June, of a group of ex-CFTR folks gathering for a game of golf. 

Not sure of who everyone is, but in the bottom left forefront is the great John Wilson, one of the best voices in the 'TR newsroom around the late 70s and early 80s. The lady sitting in the chair is none other than Evelyn Macko, also late of CFRB. Beside her is the always unpredictable Larry Silver (with the beard) and next to him is the exceptional Bob Holiday, the former news director of what was then the largest newsroom of any private radio station in Canada. Bob is now in his 80s and looks - and sounds - absolutely sensational. He could be back on the air tomorrow if he chose to.  

Evelyn's husband is also in the pic and I think the other guy may be Bill Hayes, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone here can fill me in.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's the pic:

October 16, 2019 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Mini-CFTR News Reunion Pic Includes Larry Silver

"I ended up making freinds with Mike Yawaorski when he was at CFTR News. After that, he moved into television. Sadly, he passed away way too young in 2013. He and his wife Heather had relocated to LA years prior. Mike was a character. Nothing ordinary about him."

Hey Tim, I had the great pleasure of working with Yaz in Barrie.   Incredibly funny and one of the best talents I ever had the pleasure of working with.   He was at CFTR when they cut back on News and started doing the 68 second news briefs, or as he called it "News in a minute with Fu#* all in it."   Thought that was hilarious.    
BTW, he also worked at CHUM doing weekend evenings while he was at CKVR during the week.   Those who worked with him still tell stories, most of which I will not post here.

October 16, 2019 8:39 pm  #3

A board op! I'm not being sarcastic when I say that. Do those positions exist anywhere beyond a morning show on music radio anymore? (They're still around for talk formats, of course, because the host is never off air.)

CFTR had board ops for every shift, leaving the jock to do his show prep between songs. And if they were good (and the ones at 680 in those days were very good, indeed) it became a symbiotic relationship. That's one reason the station sounded so tight and so good all those years. Sad that those days are gone.  

October 18, 2019 1:45 pm  #4

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

I was an Operator at CFTR in the early 80s and worked a lot with Bill Hayes. I don't think that's him.

It is indeed Bill Hayes in the photo...