sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2019 10:48 am  #1

Too Bad They Didn't Do This Before CHUM's H.Q. Was Torn Down

I came across this article about a CFUN Radio Reunion that was held in Vancouver recently. Some of the surviving jocks got together in front of the station's former studios and recreated a shot that became famous more than 50 years before.

And you may not be surprised that you recognize some of the names, who also wound up working in Toronto - Terry David Mulligan, who did a stint at CKFH among others, Chuck McCoy, a famous jock from CHUM's history and later a Rogers exec., and Doc Harris, who worked at CFTR in its early Top 40 days as the hilarious "Doc Holiday." And then there's Red Robinson, who never worked here but is a Canadian radio legend. It's a who's who of classic jocks at a station that once also featured Daryl B., another former CHUM personality. 

I wish someone had the idea to stage a brief picture taking session outside 1331 Yonge St. before it was torn down to make way for a condo. Turns out this B.C. building is also slated for demolition soon, so this was a last chance for the historic gathering to be caught on camera. 

Vintage DJs replicate a vintage shot to remember CFUN's 1960s glory days

By the way, for those originally from B.C., RadioWest has a huge gallery of photos from the reunion, which featured some well known names from the past and what they look like today. You can see them here.   

October 16, 2019 3:26 pm  #2

Re: Too Bad They Didn't Do This Before CHUM's H.Q. Was Torn Down

Lived in BC during the 80s. Some of the CFUN Good Guys were still 'playing the hits' then.
Great to see so many of them made it to the White Spot for the reunion..
Noticed that Dave Boxer (Montreal CKGM and CFCF) was listed as attending. I have great memories of him from my youth in Montreal.
Wonder if the Good Guy sweatshirt is available for sale?

October 16, 2019 3:35 pm  #3

There is a great site I've done business with before called "Radiologoland.com." They have various CFUN shirts (with the original 60s logo) for sale.

A bit pricey especially since it's in U.S. funds, but if you really want one, you can get them.

Find them here.

And there's a ton of other Canadian stations there, as well.

October 16, 2019 5:03 pm  #4

Dave Boxer was there? Wow.

He was a King for Montreal Baby Boomers.

He taught me the correct pronunciation of the word "imbroglio".  Alas it was  on the Hot Line after I had butchered it on the air. 

Still, I was grateful.

Last edited by potentiometer (October 16, 2019 5:04 pm)

October 16, 2019 5:11 pm  #5

From 1967, the year of Expo in Montreal.