sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 12, 2019 6:03 pm  #1

CBC is suing the Conservatives over an election ad

Shite just got real...the CBC is taking the Conservative Party of Canada to court...wow...what a silly election this is...

Here is more on the story

https://www.cbc.ca/news/cbc-conservative-party-lawsuit-1.5319209

My question is, with about a week to go in this election, should the CBC have waited? I don't think making the news with this one week before we go to the polls is such a wise move and to me it seems a little politically motivated...

What says you?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 12, 2019 8:34 pm  #2

Re: CBC is suing the Conservatives over an election ad

The CBC must be very confident our Prime Minstrel is getting a second term. If that doesn't happen, I can't see the CBC surviving in its current state after this. Getting rid of the CBC was already a popular talking point among the Conservative voting base for years and now they've just dumped more gasoline on that fire.

Attack ads like this aren't new. Has a Canadian media outlet ever sued a political party for using their footage in these before?

Last edited by Retaw (October 12, 2019 8:35 pm)

October 13, 2019 1:27 am  #3

The CBC absolutely should have waited until after the election if they were going to take any party to  court.

This smacks of grandstanding and seems like a minor infraction, even though according to the article the Conservatives have been warned about this a few times before. CBC feels that using their clips with some of their commentators gives the appearance of them being biased. However taking the Conservatives to court over this also makes them look biased.  They are often accused of being overly sympathetic to the Liberals, so their timing on this is really dumb.

And within the Conservative party there are those that would like to cut funding for CBC or even get rid of the crown corporation, so this won't be exactly be a good thing for CBC if the Conservatives win on October 21st.

Anyway it will be interesting to see how far this goes and what happens.  To me this is another distraction  of many distractions in this campaign, that is taking away from the real issues that should be discussed.

October 13, 2019 2:17 am  #4

I highly doubt conservative supporters are going to suddenly up and vote for another party over this.
It MIGHT (and I said MIGHT) have the attention of the undecided though...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 13, 2019 1:19 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

The CBC absolutely should have waited until after the election if they were going to take any party to  court.
This smacks of grandstanding and seems like a minor infraction, 

A perfect diagnosis.

October 13, 2019 3:17 pm  #6

a look at the lawsuit

October 13, 2019 4:31 pm  #7

I didn't know until I saw the ad that it also prominently features excerpts from CTV, City TV and Global newscasts. In fact, there's more from the latter trio than the CBC. And yet those networks and stations aren't suing.

If you haven't seen it, the ad is actually pretty effective, if only because 99% of it consists of some carefully chosen clips of what those media outlets have reported on Trudeau - and there's no Conservative person seen in the entire 90+ seconds. It's small wonder the Liberals don't like it. 

Anyway as you know I try to keep the site from becoming too political because that's not what it's supposed to be about, but since this is media related, if you'd like to see what all the fuss is about, you can view the online commercial here and judge for yourself. 

October 13, 2019 6:47 pm  #8

In my opinion the clip is well done and certainly makes the Conservatives points regarding the Liberals very clear and effective.

Also it looks like the Conservatives were trying to be diplomatic in using clips from CTV, Global, City and CBC, so as not to be highlighting one source to make their case about the Liberal government.

I think the CBC will have a hard time winning this suit, if it actually goes all the way through the courts. For that we will need to wait and see. And has anyone heard if it is for any money, or only to prevent the Conservatives or any party using clips, with the audio or personalities?  Whenever you hear suing it is always presumed to be for money. 

The only thing that CBC may have to argue is the fact that they are mostly funded by the taxpayer and in that respect are not the same as CTV, Global and City. Have the NDP, Liberals, Greens, Bloc ever used any CBC or Radio Canada video/audio this way? And if they have, were they warned about this like the CBC has claimed they warned the Conservatives on previous occasions?

All of this will come out in court, again if this actually gets that far. I guess since CBC is involved in the lawsuit they won't be commenting much on this beyond reporting that they were taking the Conservatives to court. Other media will certainly be free to continue to speculate and talk about this much more.

October 13, 2019 7:31 pm  #9

According to the Globe and Mail, Barton will not be involved in the lawsuit...

Still, the timing of this is pretty poor and if you're a Conservative how can you trust the CBC's journalistic integrity?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-cbc-says-rosemary-barton-will-not-take-part-in-lawsuit-against/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 15, 2019 11:42 am  #10

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

My question is, with about a week to go in this election, should the CBC have waited? I don't think making the news with this one week before we go to the polls is such a wise move and to me it seems a little politically motivated...

What says you?

I says the Conservatives laid a trap for the CBC and the latter took the bait. They knew CBC would sue them, because they had been warned, and they also knew it would make the CBC look bad, and they sucked them right in.

It worked out even better than they had hoped when the CBC clumsily and inexplicably included the names of the two journos in the suit (which they immediately tried to backpedal on), one of whom was one of the English-language debate moderators!

A perfect play to rile up the troglodyte CBC-hating base.

If you want proof of how well it worked, go look for the story in the Toronto Star. Nothing. Never even mentioned once, not the day of and not a day since. Right wing media is all over it and left wing media is running from it as quickly as possible.

October 15, 2019 3:56 pm  #11

The CBC Has Damaged Rosemary Barton’s Brand, And Its Own

https://www.canadalandshow.com/cbc-lawsuit-against-conservatives-has-damaged-rosemary-barton-brand/

Last edited by cash (October 15, 2019 3:57 pm)

October 15, 2019 3:58 pm  #12

Peter Mansbridge takes a shot at CBC lawyers

https://twitter.com/petermansbridge/status/1183120203258966016

October 15, 2019 9:13 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

Have the NDP, Liberals, Greens, Bloc ever used any CBC or Radio Canada video/audio this way? And if they have, were they warned about this like the CBC has claimed they warned the Conservatives on previous occasions? 

IIRC, the Liberals used a CBC-TV excerpt in one of their 2015 campaign ads. Not a single word was said about it. 

October 17, 2019 1:11 pm  #14