sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2019 10:54 am  #1

Memo Confirms CBC Losing Millions After Hockey Rights Loss

Further to the thread about the CBC cutting ties with Netflix comes this story from Postmedia. It says a memo reveals that the CBC is losing millions of dollars after the loss of hockey rights to Rogers, even though its own management sloughed off the deal as only being worth "a few dollars" to its bottom line. 

Memo contradicts CBC claims that HNIC loss cost network only 'a few dollars'

October 11, 2019 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Memo Confirms CBC Losing Millions After Hockey Rights Loss

Kind of hard to know how profitable HNIC was for the CBC. Once you take out the hundreds of millions for broadcast rights and production costs of the many games they produced every year hard to say just how much money was made from hockey. They produced a lot more than just the leaf games.

I liked the quote from the senator from Nova Scotia, Michael MacDonald, who said if you couldn't make money on HNIC he didn't know what you could make money on. Guess he hasn't talked to Rogers Media yet!  Doesn't look like they are making any money on the deal. I don't think anyone is going to be signing a hockey agreement like that for a long time.  Or maybe the next time NHL rights for Canada will be shared or split up more between networks similar to the NFL.

Even though CBC doesn't derive any advertising revenue from the hockey broadcasts any longer, they will receive revenue for the big studio space and set for HNIC which is still located at CBC studios. Also I understand that Rogers uses CBC crews for the broadcasts, so how that would work I am not sure. In fact over the past few years Rogers now produces HNIC about the same as CBC did when they had the rights.