sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 26, 2019 11:40 am  #1

Newspaper Subscriptions

Interesting thing happened when I went to the building lobby this morning to pick up my Toronto Sun. My neighbour down the hall subscribes to the Star and I usually drop his paper off. This morning there was a Globe & Mail with a note attached saying Sorry, We ran out of Stars today. Please accept this complimentary Globe. How can you not have enough newspapers to fulfill your subscribers list. I know if I was told that they ran out of Suns and substituted a Star, I would not be pleased.

September 26, 2019 1:30 pm  #2

Re: Newspaper Subscriptions

Lots of people still read newspapers and the newspaper companies need to respect their paper readers as they rush to the digital world. Not everyone spends their days staring at a cell phone.

September 26, 2019 1:36 pm  #3

It can happen. The distributor likely delivers both the Star and Globe. They either got his route mixed up and didn't deliver the right number of Toronto Star papers to him or there could have been a problem printing the Star and the paper was late for some routes. The carrier normally would have some extra copies of either the Globe or Star to at least give the customer a paper. This shouldn't happen very often.

Print subscriptions are way down for daily papers, but there are still a lot of people, mostly older that prefer the printed paper. Nicer read, many think with the morning coffee and toast, rather than on the computer or phone.

September 26, 2019 2:02 pm  #4

Newspapers have more readers now then at any time in their history.  The issue is many are online who are  used to getting the news for free when the papers should have put up paywalls years ago to protect the value of what journalists do.  Now they have a challenge in getting folks to pay for what they have been getting for free.

September 26, 2019 3:54 pm  #5

I still get the Saturday paper and I actually look forward to it. It comes with a bonus of giving you online access included.

The carrier who delivers the thing once left me a note that I'm sure his employers don't know about. It essentially says if you're missing a section or there's a problem, please don't call the paper. There's a private cell phone number instead and he'll come back to your house and replace what's missing.

I asked him about this once and he told me the paper hits him with a financial penalty of at least $5 per complaint it receives but they can't if they don't know about it. So he's circumventing them by being willing to fix the problem without the employer knowing.

September 26, 2019 7:37 pm  #6

If any paper fined a carrier at least $5 per complaint, the carrier would sometimes be working for free or owe the paper money. If they fined door to door delivery people like that, they wouldn't have very many. I think your carrier is exaggerating a little.

Likely he/she has been warned by the district manager that they have received too many complaints of non delivery, late delivery or incomplete delivery along the route. After a certain number of warnings, or constant problems with poor delivery, the carrier is let go. Probably it was a case that your person has received some warnings and he/she was afraid that they would be fired if the paper had any more complaints, or calls regarding incorrect delivery.

Paper delivery can be a  hard job, doesn't pay much, but still can be popular for pubic/ high school students looking to make a little money, new canadians, or seniors who get up early anyway and like the exercise. 

September 26, 2019 10:28 pm  #7

paterson1- Exactly! I prefer a hard copy newspaper to hold in my hands and read in the morning. My print subscription includes the online edition as well and is easy to read on my 17 inch screen. Problem is, I must read the paper starting at page one. I prefer to start with the Sunshine Girl, then on to the sports section for my NFL, CFL, NHL, MLB fix.

September 27, 2019 5:10 am  #8

paterson1 wrote:

there are still a lot of people, mostly older that prefer the printed paper. Nicer read, many think with the morning coffee and toast, rather than on the computer or phone.

. . . accidentally spill morning coffee on your laptop or 'phone and its "toast"