sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2019 9:26 pm  #1

The Star’s Rosie DiManno Nails It On The Demise Of Newspapers

In an article lamenting the loss of the copy editor, the Toronto Star’s chief opinion writer gets it bang on. Some excerpts:

“...There is often just one solitary person at night, handling all the copy that pours in, especially for deadline-driven sections such as sports. They have to do so much with only minutes to spare, so I don’t blame them for the mistakes and garble that sometimes get through.”

“It makes me crazy reading sloppy, typo-strewn copy. Ditto for readers, as has been made clear by the hundreds of emails I receive complaining about errors and inexcusable typos...When the failing becomes chronic, it hurts us more than accusations of bias, fabrication, even plagiarism. If accuracy and tidiness have no traction anymore, why should anybody trust us on the big stuff?”

And then there's this on the federal government's attempt to set up that multi-million dollar bailout.

“I am fundamentally opposed to media sucking on the government teat. Don’t want us beholden to politicians. Must not allow even the slightest suspicion that news can be skewed to lick the hand that feeds us.”

Elimination of copy editors has been disastrous for newspapers

September 17, 2019 9:41 pm  #2

Re: The Star’s Rosie DiManno Nails It On The Demise Of Newspapers

RadioActive wrote:

Must not allow even the slightest suspicion that news can be skewed to lick the hand that feeds us.”

So, the advertisers? I look forward to her upcoming column lamenting the increase in "sponsored content," especially online, and the way it's being increasingly disguised. 

Though I suspect that column isn't arriving anytime soon. 

September 17, 2019 10:24 pm  #3

Saw a copy of the sports section of the Toronto Sun the other day. On the front page it said "for last night's results, go to torontosun.com." So why not just not buy the paper and get the results online for free instead of yesterday's news. That's the problem with newspapers, they are yesterday's news and people want today's news.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (September 17, 2019 10:25 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 17, 2019 11:00 pm  #4

Who is behind outline.com and why is The Star not going after them for posting copyrighted material that skirts subscription requirements?

September 18, 2019 7:54 am  #5

Dale Patterson wrote:

Saw a copy of the sports section of the Toronto Sun the other day. On the front page it said "for last night's results, go to torontosun.com." So why not just not buy the paper and get the results online for free instead of yesterday's news. That's the problem with newspapers, they are yesterday's news and people want today's news.

If you are looking for results of hockey and baseball games played in the Eastern and Central time zones the results are published in the Sun. For results of games played in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, you are directed to the torontosun.com website. At one time, the Sun published two editions of its paper. A City edition, which had all the scores and a suburban edition, which went to the 905 communities and beyond, which had no west coast game results. 

September 18, 2019 2:28 pm  #6

Dial Twister wrote:

Who is behind outline.com and why is The Star not going after them for posting copyrighted material that skirts subscription requirements?

Also works on Postmedia papers and some US publications as well.

September 18, 2019 3:51 pm  #7

They have a page that tries to cover this very issue about copyright and how papers can get removed. 

DMCA Page