sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2019 9:08 pm  #1

Why Cars Don't Have Those Long Radio Antennas Anymore

Just in case you ever wondered about the radio reception in your car.

Why Cars Don't Have Those Long Antennas Anymore

September 6, 2019 9:02 am  #2

Re: Why Cars Don't Have Those Long Radio Antennas Anymore

The article mentions the GM window antennas. My dad's 1972 Chocolate Brown Chevy Biscayne had one. The AM reception was reasonably good for DXing. No FM though. Too expensive according to dad.

September 6, 2019 12:02 pm  #3

Pickup trucks like the Dodge Ram I believe still have the old style antennas next to the front hood. 

September 7, 2019 5:36 am  #4

markow202 wrote:

old style antennas next to the front hood. 

CKNT listeners insist on a longer wire

September 7, 2019 11:11 pm  #5

If I EVER meet the guy that placed those long antennas on the front fender near the windshield, we're gonna have words.
I can't count how many times I've smacked my face while scraping frost off the windshield.

Davester.

September 10, 2019 2:04 am  #6

Yes, I know ... when I went looking for a replacement for the 12 inch antenna on my new used Jeep, I couldn't find any longer than 31 inches. I had hoped to find a long telescoping antenna like the ones 60s cars had (not available anywhere). One reason some Jeep owners like shorter antennas, including the rubber duck variety, is that they don't break off while off-roading.

September 10, 2019 10:50 am  #7

TomSanders wrote:

Yes, I know ... when I went looking for a replacement for the 12 inch antenna on my new used Jeep, I couldn't find any longer than 31 inches. I had hoped to find a long telescoping antenna like the ones 60s cars had (not available anywhere). One reason some Jeep owners like shorter antennas, including the rubber duck variety, is that they don't break off while off-roading.

Check Princess Auto.

Last edited by markow202 (September 10, 2019 10:51 am)

September 10, 2019 8:36 pm  #8

You could always nick a decent-but-unused CB antenna from the back of most Jeeps. Jeepsters only have it for the look...you can have it for so much more...