sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2019 12:02 pm  #1

Angry Rogers & Bell Plan To Take Revenge Over CRTC Decision

If you ever wanted to know why Bell and Rogers are held in such contempt by many consumers, you need look no farther than both companies’ reactions to a CRTC decision that favours consumers.

Last week, the Commission ruled that both communications giants had to drop the amounts they were charging third party Internet providers to access their high speed networks. It's an attempt to try and reduce the already outrageously high rates outsiders (and their customers) are forced to pay to get web service.

Both Rogers and Bell have reacted like a wounded bear, clawing and scratching back. In separate press releases, both companies have vowed to cut back on the investments they were planning to make to “rural and remote communities,” which has been a priority of both the current government and the CRTC.

Rogers talks about a study that warns of “negative consequences” if rates aren’t set at (and I love this language) “the correct level."

Rogers Disappointed by CRTC Decision on Final Broadband Wholesale Rates

According to a Canadian Press story, “Bell says it will cut back on a rural internet program it committed to last year by some 20 per cent, or 200,000 households to compensate for the lower rates.”

Bell says it will cut back on rural broadband program after CRTC rate cut

(Interestingly, the above story appears on the Rogers-owned CityNews website, but there doesn't appear to be a story there about Rogers doing the exact same thing. Hmm, must be the cynic in me, but go figure...)  

We shouldn’t be surprised that they’re opposed to fairness for those of us on the other side of the wire. I called my provider, Teksavvy, when this decision was announced last week. They confirmed that, yes, they would be lowering their rates as a result of the ruling, although they couldn’t say exactly when it would happen or how much the reduction would be.

I don’t often agree with things the CRTC does. But this one definitely gets a thumbs up from me, and I’m betting there are a lot of others who will give the same gesture. Although given that it’s Bell and Rogers, perhaps a different finger will be used.

August 20, 2019 12:59 pm  #2

Re: Angry Rogers & Bell Plan To Take Revenge Over CRTC Decision

They're both publicly traded companies. If a regulator is going to reduce their revenue, it HAS to be made up for with a corresponding expense cut, or the boards will turf the management. It's not a Bell/Rogers thing - it's, for better or for worse, just capitalism. 

August 20, 2019 1:49 pm  #3

RadioAaron wrote:

They're both publicly traded companies. If a regulator is going to reduce their revenue, it HAS to be made up for with a corresponding expense cut, or the boards will turf the management. It's not a Bell/Rogers thing - it's, for better or for worse, just capitalism. 

Well, isn't it interesting that their "cost saving" response just happens to be the one thing the government has been insisting on for years - more high speed Internet availability to rural and remote areas. If you don't think that's deliberately aimed at the feds, you're not paying attention. And I still maintain, given there were likely other things they could cut or raise the price of in other areas to make up the loss (and don't think they won't!) their actions of behaving like petulant children who just got their toy taken away by daddy is no accident.

I admit to not knowing a lot about either's finances, but I do know Canadians pay among the highest - if not THE highest  - cellular, cable and Internet rates in the world. Yes, we're a vast country and it takes a lot of resources to cover it, but much of that infrastructure is already there. Although they deserve to be fairly compensated, charging third parties outrageous rates to access existing lines does not seem to be costing either of these two anything in the long run. It's pure avarice and it appears the CRTC agreed.

I don't blame Rogers and Bell for all of this of course - if you give predatory companies permission to act this way, of course they'll take advantage of it until someone reels them in. Successive governments that have allowed one or two giants to control programming (radio and TV ownership), distribution (cable and satellite) and Internet access in one big monopoly is a huge part of this. They should have stopped it a long time ago.

They didn't.

Canadians everywhere are now living with those consequences and paying the price.

It's not just capitalism. It's unadulterated greed and gouging simply because they can.

At least Rogers and Bell have found something they're truly good at.

August 20, 2019 5:38 pm  #4

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Industry giants who are to very large extent protected by their regulator is not my definition of capitalism. it's corporate welfare. IMHO...

Amen....and Amen.

August 20, 2019 6:14 pm  #5

A possible solution would be to kick Trudeau out of office in October 
Shortly thereafter Andrew Scheer invites Verizon to once again consider Canada
Fuck Bell
And fuck Rogers while you're at it

August 20, 2019 11:04 pm  #6

Any chance that Bell and Rogers were planning on these changes, and the CRTC decision is a smokescreen?

It usually takes several months for a giant corporation to organize and make a business move like this, the timing seems a little too providential.

August 21, 2019 10:20 am  #7

unclefester wrote:

A possible solution would be to kick Trudeau out of office in October 
Shortly thereafter Andrew Scheer invites Verizon to once again consider Canada
Fuck Bell
And fuck Rogers while you're at it

And how much will Verizon charge after they build their own transmission network? 

You seriously think a conservative like Scheer will be prone to strictly regulate pricing rather than allow the "free market" (ie or rather monopolies like Rogers and Bell) to decide? 

August 26, 2019 5:50 pm  #8

TekSavvy exec. responds to the decrease - and predicts what it might mean for the rates you'll be paying in future. 

Why internet rates in Canada are about to get cheaper

August 26, 2019 5:52 pm  #9

Bell and Rogers?  No.

September 13, 2019 2:34 pm  #10

Nice to see a tech company actually keep one of its key promises. Sure am glad I'm one of their subscribers!

TekSavvy to Customers: "We lowered your Internet bill. Thank the CRTC."

September 17, 2019 7:50 pm  #11

A court challenge might overturn this, but for now, it stands. 

Canadian Internet rates are falling, and you can thank the CRTC

September 18, 2019 6:13 am  #12

Meanwhile, not that NDP would ever get elected, (federally) but above and beyond all this, 
how about a cap on rates? 
https://election.ctvnews.ca/truth-tracker-would-singh-s-plan-to-cap-cellphone-and-internet-bills-work-1.4592981

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.