sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2019 10:13 am  #1


Weather Radios

I'd like some feedback from those of you who own a NOAA / CLC S.A.M.E. weather radio, please.

Are you currently getting any alerts OTHER than weather on your weather radio? For example, are AMBER alerts coming through as well?

I ask this because of the following paragraph on a Environment Canada website...
"With its SAME capability, Environment Canada's Weatheradio network is well positioned to accommodate non-weather-related warnings. It will become an integral part of an eventual Canadawide public alerting service to be established in collaboration with other authorities."
SOURCE: http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2010/ec/En56-228-2010-eng.pdf

Any other feedback on your experience with these radios, in Southern Ontario, would be appreciated.
 

 

August 18, 2019 2:47 pm  #2


Re: Weather Radios

This is a logical place to place warnings and alerts. I wouldn't even mind it on my cellphone IF the authorities knew enough to distinguish between a child custody dispute and nuclear holocaust.
 

 

August 18, 2019 10:20 pm  #3


Re: Weather Radios

Saul wrote:

This is a logical place to place warnings and alerts. I wouldn't even mind it on my cellphone IF the authorities knew enough to distinguish between a child custody dispute and nuclear holocaust.
 

 
Three recent alerts have directly resulted in the safe return of a child, and yet the bitter old men on this board will complain that it interupts their nightly slumber that begins after final Jeopardy and their last check of the evening for a CP24 ticker typo.

 

August 19, 2019 6:06 am  #4


Re: Weather Radios

Prod Guy wrote:

Three recent alerts have directly resulted in the safe return of a child, and yet the bitter old men on this board will complain that it interupts their nightly slumber that begins after final Jeopardy and their last check of the evening for a CP24 ticker typo.

I'm not old and bitter and I support the removal of amber alerts on MY phone. 
(please and thanks)
I stress the word choice. 
I believe very strongly that there are enough people choosing to accept it by choice.
Forcing it just ties up the 9 11 lines with people that have nothing better to do but report that they have not seen anything yet. (or whatever they do or say-I wouldn't know, I don't call 911 to complain. I'm not that stupid!)



 

 

August 19, 2019 9:08 am  #5


Re: Weather Radios

Radiowiz wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Three recent alerts have directly resulted in the safe return of a child, and yet the bitter old men on this board will complain that it interupts their nightly slumber that begins after final Jeopardy and their last check of the evening for a CP24 ticker typo.

I'm not old and bitter and I support the removal of amber alerts on MY phone. 
(please and thanks)
I stress the word choice. 
I believe very strongly that there are enough people choosing to accept it by choice.
Forcing it just ties up the 9 11 lines with people that have nothing better to do but report that they have not seen anything yet. (or whatever they do or say-I wouldn't know, I don't call 911 to complain. I'm not that stupid!)



 

I'm not sure opt in to alerts would be wise, as most wouldn't spend the time... but for AMBER ALERTS, I think you should have the ability to remove the audio notification by choice (as the USA can).      A major environmental, terror, accident etc, those alerts I do not have an issue coming through no matter what...   They can be life and death... but AMBER ALERTS, I think you should be able to opt out of the audio notification, as the person who wants to not have the audio notification, will not be getting out of bed at 3am to look for said kid anyhow. 

I also feel 911 calls to complain about any alert or anything that is not a emergency, should end with heavy fines being issues to each and every one of the abusers.     $500 for the 1st time, $1000 for the 2nd and possible jail time.    

Last edited by radiokid (August 19, 2019 9:09 am)

 

August 19, 2019 9:28 am  #6


Re: Weather Radios

Prod Guy wrote:

Saul wrote:

This is a logical place to place warnings and alerts. I wouldn't even mind it on my cellphone IF the authorities knew enough to distinguish between a child custody dispute and nuclear holocaust.
 

 
Three recent alerts have directly resulted in the safe return of a child, and yet the bitter old men on this board will complain that it interupts their nightly slumber that begins after final Jeopardy and their last check of the evening for a CP24 ticker typo.

It's not that I don't necessarily think phones are an adequate venue for alerts. Multiple venues may make sense. But distinguish between levels of calamity by the kind of tone and how it deploys on a device. And keep in mind most people will be asleep at 3 am. A regular text message should suffice for amber alerts ... when a text comes in most people are eager to read it ... people are drawn to their phones in a serious way. Surely a message about a missing child can wait until the recipient is awake. Surely no one is going to get into their car after being awakened at 3 am and go driving to randomly look around. When public alerts are deemed potentially useful, a responsible emergency management system will distinguish between everyday crimes and calamities which address a broad population. It actually worries me that emergency management authorities aren't recognizing a difference...
 

 

August 19, 2019 4:16 pm  #7


Re: Weather Radios

Dial Twister wrote:

I'd like some feedback from those of you who own a NOAA / CLC S.A.M.E. weather radio, please.
 

This is starting to look (sound?) like talk radio. Why don't we all try to respond to the actual question, mmmmm? A more complete explanation of the question is in post #1 above. I'm guessing that no one here actually owns a weather radio...thus the off-topic answers.

https://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons3/whistling.png

     Thread Starter
 

August 19, 2019 4:24 pm  #8


Re: Weather Radios

I have one of those ancient all-band radios that can pick up the weather station out of Pearson. I can't remember how many years it's been since I listened to it.  

 

August 19, 2019 4:46 pm  #9


Re: Weather Radios

I have a very inexpensive palm-size one that doesn't get much and I have not done much with it.  But here's a possible source of info about Weather Radio. This fellow is a meteorologist and also DXes the band quite actively. Here's his logbook, posted online:

http://dxinfocentre.com/hepburn/vox_dx_wb.html