sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 1, 2015 10:32 am  #1

Upfront season...

well for the Canadian networks... but this year there are two notable absences from the scene.....

Shaw Media and Rogers for both their conventional television and the specialty channels. The decision to for go this years Upfronts was made back in late January...

Last year, Shaw spent approx. $ 3.4 million on mounting their Upfront...  

June 1, 2015 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Upfront season...

I remember a rather surreal conversation we had when we were flipping Talk640 to Mojo.  The president of the company had press releases ready to go, and couldn't understand why we wouldn't announce the flip in February or March.  (It was scheduled for the end of April.) 

It's amazing how different TV and radio are when you get down to the fine details.

This was the same Talk640 that 'WAS' Talk640 only because 680 News scooped that format flip in May 8 years before .

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

June 2, 2015 12:51 pm  #3

The Star has an article about Rogers's participation (or lack of it) in the upfronts in Tuesday's edition. While it's interesting and outlines what the minimum programming they purchased is about, I happened to glance at the comments section, where I saw this:

"You missed one new show. It's a locally produced program called "Firing Line," in which 100 Rogers employees are summarily let go without cause at the end of every episode. Those left in the board room at the end of the season count the profits by the money saved, applauding reduced service and lousy programming, while giving themselves raises. The show, which has actually been running for some time, has already been renewed for the next two seasons." 

Gotta admit, that one made me laugh out loud. 

June 2, 2015 12:54 pm  #4

Marc has an interesting take on news not being mentioned in the release either.  

http://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=48

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.