sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2019 1:03 pm  #1

Michael Coren Defends A "Changed" Corus Host Charles Adler

Michael Coren comes to the defence of Charles Adler on the CBC website. If this doesn't signal end times are nigh, I'm not sure what does.  

What the hell happened to Charles Adler?

August 15, 2019 2:02 pm  #2

Re: Michael Coren Defends A "Changed" Corus Host Charles Adler

When conservatives get mugged by reality. A number of the Tories, Reform Party supporters, libertarians, and right-wing conservative ideologues I knew at university have grown into centrists, liberals, or even leftists after a decade or so living in the real world. 

Last edited by Hansa (August 15, 2019 2:03 pm)

August 15, 2019 2:21 pm  #3

BOTTOM LINE:   It's show business

August 15, 2019 2:26 pm  #4

geo wrote:

BOTTOM LINE:   It's show business

Words have consequences. 

August 15, 2019 2:52 pm  #5

I've obviously worked pretty intensively with both, and a couple of others that jump to mind, and know them as well off-air, possibly better, as I do their on-air personas and both are deeply kind, generous, caring guys. 

I do agree with Geo, it's show business, and without question their understanding that gives them the career longevity they enjoy.  Not that they didn't or don't believe the message they were conveying, that's not for me to judge, but the off-air version certainly didn't always correlate with the on-air one. 

Neither one was completely left, or completely right.  Talk radio always suggested 'taking a side and sticking with it' but these are both multi-dimensional professional communicators, and I'm glad they're free to be who they believe they are, rather than who we think they should be.   In many ways I think Michael especially was always working hard to find Michael, and I believe he finally did.

I'm very proud of both of 'em.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 15, 2019 3:34 pm  #6

Speaking of performance art by beloved professionals, I wonder how Mike Stafford is doing?

August 15, 2019 6:29 pm  #7

“The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” 
― Muhammad Ali

I identify with this quote and I think Adler and Coren do too.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

August 16, 2019 1:55 pm  #8

I'm in complete agreement with ig.

BTW.  I just read Michael's column and it reminds me that over the years an old friend; or someone I used to work with would say to me, "John you've changed."  My answer was always the same.  "I hope so."

Last edited by John D (August 16, 2019 2:04 pm)

August 16, 2019 4:13 pm  #9

Hm. Yes. Adler's post-9/11 bloodlust was clearly a hormone-driven aberration of character.