sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2019 8:01 am  #1

An interesting view on "Cancon" rules being applied to streaming audio

Writer Michael Raine, discusses the importance of possible Government ruling on enforcing the Cancon rules that apply to radio to include online music streaming sites as well...

In his article he applauds current Cancon legislation and that has helped our National music scene...and that Canada is one of the leading exporters of music in the world today. 

However, in the multi-billion dollar online streaming world...Raine, questions whether or not Cancon rules should apply as well.

https://indepth.canadianmusician.com/is-cancon-compatible-with-streaming/

What is your take on this idea of enforcing streaming sites to play as much Canadian produced/made music as radio stations do?

Is the livelihood and economic lifeblood for the music industry in Canada dependent on it?

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 7, 2019 8:40 am  #2

Re: An interesting view on "Cancon" rules being applied to streaming audio

I have a subscription to Spotify. I enjoy it immensely. There is plenty of music by Canadian artists available on the service. Perhaps, the service could be modified to improve the search for Canadian music or spotlight new artists. However, knowing how Government likes to wrap themselves in the Canadian flag when it comes to media and cultural issues, some busybody clerk will come up with an idea that goes something like: You WILL listen to Canadian music AND you WILL like it. I can see it now. For every three songs that you choose for your listening pleasure, One of those choices must be by a Canadian artist. Make the product available and easy to find. It should always be the paying customer's decision whether he consumes the Canadian product or not.

August 7, 2019 9:21 am  #3

I think the time has come to eliminate Cancon rules for radio entirely.

I was never a fan of the forced airplay, but I will admit that it certainly worked. The Canadian recording industry is in pretty good shape and Canadians have certainly made a worldwide impact with a plethora of superstar artists. It’s at a state now where we no longer need to force it on people. It’s well respected and established.

And I don’t for a moment believe that eliminating Cancon would suddenly mean stations here would stop playing Drake, Bieber or any other well known musician. The Canadian music industry would not simply stop if the rules were removed.

I would also argue that Canada itself has changed. Where many of us used to downplay anything Canadian as instantly inferior, I don’t think that’s the case any longer. Most Canucks seem to have great pride these days in what’s turned out here and we've proven we can compete with anyone in the world. So why keep old regs. that simply reinforce that old stereotype?  

The reason I hated Cancon when it started is I have never supported government telling radio programmers what they have to play or indicating what format they can adopt. Politicians know nothing about radio and shouldn’t get to say what they think you must hear.

And besides, they reached their objective with the rules – it’s time to stop it on the air.

And for God’s sake, don’t repeat this mistake online. Government should keep their grubby little fingers out of trying to program what's on the Internet. There are simply too many worldwide choices for users for it to ever be effective anyway.  

August 7, 2019 11:12 am  #4

The whole premise of Cancon was that select private broadcasters were given access to limited public bandwidth and a virtually captive audience. None of that applies with the internet. I could start a 100% Cancon online station today if I wanted to.

August 7, 2019 12:20 pm  #5

I take pride in adding plenty of Canadian content to "Oh Wow: The Songs Radio Forgot" - audiences in other countries seem to dig our music as do Canadians. However, I don't believe the government should be setting quotas for online streams as they do with terrestrial radio. Just play it on merit, keeping in mind there's plenty of merit in Canadian music.

One online rule I've never understood is the ban on playing the same artist twice. I'm sure a lot of online streams ignore it, but technically you're supposed to observe it to stay in compliance with the rule (my server sets up its metrics so this doesn't happen). But why do they have this rule? Why are you not to supposed to play the same artist twice in row? Anyone know?

https://live365.com/station/Oh-Wow--The-Songs-Radio-Forgot-a68406

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 7, 2019 1:38 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I think the time has come to eliminate Cancon rules for radio entirely.

I was never a fan of the forced airplay, but I will admit that it certainly worked. The Canadian recording industry is in pretty good shape and Canadians have certainly made a worldwide impact with a plethora of superstar artists. It’s at a state now where we no longer need to force it on people. It’s well respected and established.

And I don’t for a moment believe that eliminating Cancon would suddenly mean stations here would stop playing Drake, Bieber or any other well known musician. The Canadian music industry would not simply stop if the rules were removed.

I would also argue that Canada itself has changed. Where many of us used to downplay anything Canadian as instantly inferior, I don’t think that’s the case any longer. Most Canucks seem to have great pride these days in what’s turned out here and we've proven we can compete with anyone in the world. So why keep old regs. that simply reinforce that old stereotype?  

The reason I hated Cancon when it started is I have never supported government telling radio programmers what they have to play or indicating what format they can adopt. Politicians know nothing about radio and shouldn’t get to say what they think you must hear.

And besides, they reached their objective with the rules – it’s time to stop it on the air.

And for God’s sake, don’t repeat this mistake online. Government should keep their grubby little fingers out of trying to program what's on the Internet. There are simply too many worldwide choices for users for it to ever be effective anyway.  

I agree with RA.  It's been almost 50 years that the Can-Con regs have come in.  50 Years.  50 Years.  If we can't stand on our own now; then will we ever be?  Let's stand on our own two feet in 2019.

Last edited by AMFM (August 7, 2019 1:39 pm)

August 7, 2019 1:43 pm  #7

Unfortunately, I can't think of a single government of any stripe that would suggest getting rid of Cancon. Imagine how that would look and be played out in the press.

Once implemented, these things almost never go away. Just remember federal income taxes were introduced in 1917 as a temporary measure to help finance World War I. 

Last I looked at my ever dwindling bank account, they're still here!

August 7, 2019 6:51 pm  #8

Yep, killing Cancon is political poison for any party. Not going to happen.

August 7, 2019 10:03 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Yep, killing Cancon is political poison for any party. Not going to happen.

If it's to stay it still needs a revamp after nearly 50 years. I believe that a reduction in the required percentage be implemented rather than all out elimination. Yes, a number of Canadian artists are doing very well internationally. However, there are many quality artists currently being played in this country but not charting anywhere else that would likely get the boot. It's not fair but it's how programmers operate. With only a few exceptions, if you ain't big outside Canada you don't mean much to us seems to be the mantra. 
Secondly, push RESET on the antiquated MAPL requirements. Is it fair that a record by a non-Canadian act can qualify because of who wrote the song while a record by a Canadian artist doesn't because only the "A" box is ticked? I suppose there are arguments that can be made about that.
And, how about any features or programs produced and played on radio in this country? Why not some sort of Can-Con credit for those? Just some musings rattling around inside my head.

August 7, 2019 10:25 pm  #10

Oddly enough, though I'm against Cancon rules for radio, I don't feel quite as strongly about them for TV. I think without some sort of regulations, the Bells, Rogers and Corus-es here would never invest a cent in any scripted shows, because it's so much easier to buy it all pre-made from south of the border, saving them a fortune. 

I will admit that, with a few exceptions, I don't watch a lot of homegrown TV. And I don't think I'm alone.