sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2019 10:48 pm  #1

Instant Replay: The First TV Station In T.O. Was From Buffalo

There’s a certain irony in the fact that the first and most popular television station receivable in Canada wasn’t even IN Canada. Instead, the few with sets back in 1948 had their rooftop antennas aimed at Buffalo, where WBEN was the only station on the air.

Channel 4 was a pioneer in the medium and despite its long affiliation with CBS, it also produced an astounding amount of local programming for a market of its size.

Here’s a look back at the “4”-runner on TV in Buffalo and Southern Ontario that began as an established radio station.

When the company decided to dip its broadcasting toe in the newfangled medium called TV, it resulted in a big expansion and a big move.

The place was equipped with the latest high tech equipment. At least back then.

But while it was dedicated to serving residents of the Queen City, it was also clear they were looking a lot farther north when trying to appeal to would-be advertisers.

While most of us remember shows like “Rocketship 7” and “Commander Tom” out of WKBW-TV, Channel 4 had its own set of kid-friendly shows – most led by a guy young audience members would come to know variously as “Captain/Uncle and other incarnations” Mike Mearian.

And never mind “The Voice,” “American Idol” or “America’s Got Talent.” WBEN beat them all to the punch with a Saturday morning show that ran for years. Although it doesn’t seem to have spawned any Kelly Clarkson-like winners.

I have no idea what “Big Mac” was, but it certainly predated the far more famous hamburger that would come later on.

But there was at least one “Kid” who was all grown up.

When it wasn’t going after a younger crowd, it tried to get the moms watching with a surprisingly popular show called “Meet The Millers.” This cooking/interview program somehow ran for decades on the station and made the Ma & Pa Kettle-type hosts instant celebrities. John Corbett also dispensed no doubt invaluable advice for homemakers.

For such a small station, it certainly generated a huge output of local wares.

Its early afternoon line-up was a mixed bag of old and syndicated shows you may remember.

And when it came to the 6 o’clock news? Well, in those days, the latest headlines weren’t all that common and what news there was at 6 PM was only 15 minutes long. And in the early days, they didn't have a 6 o'clock newscast at all. 

Not that they didn’t have a newsroom. Check out those old teletype machines.

It would be a look that would change over the years.

WBEN and CBS were rating juggernauts in those early days, but they could never quite figure out what to put on the air at 11:30 PM, when NBC’s The Tonight Show was gathering all the eyeballs. Not that they didn’t try.

1957:

1967 saw the introduction of something called “The Las Vegas Show” whatever that was. It never stood a chance against Carson. It wasn’t until Letterman came along that CBS became truly competitive in the late night wars.

In the end, WBEN has gone through a few owners and two sets of call letters (now WIVB) but it remains the longest serving television station in the SOWNY area. And that’s an ongoing legacy to keep watching.

Next week: The Competition: WGR & WKBW-TV & Radio

July 7, 2019 12:25 am  #2

Re: Instant Replay: The First TV Station In T.O. Was From Buffalo

Another good one. Thanks RA!

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 7, 2019 6:28 am  #3

RA!  Thanks for putting a smile on my face first thing in the morning.  In the first ad is the name Mike Mearian.  He became my go to guy daily (around 5 pm I think) he was Captain Mike with marionette Buttons the cabin boy.  He would show Popeye cartoons.  If he was on WBEN radio I didn’t know anything about it.  Like Dave Thomas over at WKBW TV, they were my most recognizable faces.

I remember every Sunday morning, it was straight to the Statler Hilton Hotel for Uncle Jerry’s Club.  It was WBEN’s answer to (what would come later) Tiny Talent Time on CHCH TV.  I don’t remember Jerry’s last name; but he really was like your favourite uncle.

It was Jerry that taught me the “Buffalo accent of western NY.”  If there was a little girl named Patty, he would pronounce it Pee-at-ee.  That accent would stay with me for years.  Memories of boyhood are flooding in RA.  Thanks again.

Last edited by John D (July 7, 2019 6:29 am)

July 7, 2019 6:58 am  #4

Hey John, glad you enjoyed the memory flogger. I also fondly recall Mr. Mearian, who later went on to become a fairly successful commercial pitchman based in New York City. And yes, Buttons was with him in several incarnations, with The Cabin Boy the one I remember best, too. Both of them also appeared in a circus themed show, although what each were termed then, I can't quite recall.

It's amazing to me that everyone remembers Dave Thomas, but few recall "Captain Mike," who I think came first.

As for Uncle Jerry, his last name was Brick and that show seemed to run for years.

Like CHCH, WBEN produced an amazing amount of local programming in those early years and every station had one of those Saturday morning hosts. They're way too expensive to produce these days, but every market had last least one or two and - while there's lots more choice on cable TV now - I kind of feel sorry for kids not having that to experience anymore. I don't think we're the only ones who have fond memories of them.

July 7, 2019 7:57 am  #5

What isn't widely known is that when WBEN TV signed on in May 1948, they were a full time NBC affilliate. In January 1949 the station became a primary CBS/secondary NBC affiliate. It wasn't until WGR's 1954 arrival that WBEN became a fulltime CBS affiliate. Between the arrival of ch 2 and ch 4, two UHF channels signed on in Western New York. WBES ch 59, an independent, only lasted from Sept-Dec 1953. WBUF ch 17 was around from Aug 1953-Sept 1958. It too was in trouble until 1955 when NBC purchased the station. This caused WGR to become an ABC affiliate. Because television manufacturers weren't required to install UHF tuners, a settop box was required to view the station. Reception was inferior compared to the two VHF stations in the market. After the two year experiment, NBC went back to WGR in early 1958. With the arrival of WKBW less than a year away, WBUF knew it couldn't compete against three VHF stations and quietly left the air. For the 6-7 months before WKBW arrived, WGR was a split NBC/ABC affilliate. When WNED signed on in 1959, they initially used the equipment left over from WBUF.

July 7, 2019 8:08 am  #6

I don't remember Mike Mearian having an afternoon show on ch 4. He did host Popeye's Playhouse 9am-10am from 1952-66. I believe Rocketship 7 premiered on ch 7 around 1962. I also only remember the original Promo The Robot. It was " modernized" in 1967.

July 7, 2019 8:09 am  #7

I remember almost jumping out of my chair a few years ago when I was watching the original "Law & Order," and saw a familiar face in one of the courtroom scenes - it was Mike Mearian playing a judge! It was the first time I'd seen him in decades but there was no doubt it was him. He was also in a lot of commercials, including the one below. 

He passed away in 2009 and his obit reveals he earned three Purple Hearts fighting in WWII. Something I never knew. 

There's an absolutely terrific article on Steve Chicon's Buffalo Stories site, about the kids shows from Buffalo and Toronto. I'd long forgotten about "Fantasy Island" - not the Ricardo Montalban series - but rather a Saturday morning show that ran on WGR-TV in the early 60s, a sponsored kids program brought to you by the Buffalo-area amusement park of the same name. 

Great pictures, too and if you're into this stuff, it will bring back a whole lot of memories. You can find it here.

Pic Courtesy Buffalostories.com      

July 7, 2019 4:24 pm  #8

RadioActive, I join everyone else in gratitude for these flashbacks. OMG, Uncle Jerry! And at the piano? Aunt Annie! And Captain Mike! I too heard him years later doing national spots, and he sounded exactly the same.
Here's one for you... there was ANOTHER captain doing a kids' show, also not in Toronto, but also close. It would have been a few, but not too many years later.

Last edited by potentiometer (July 7, 2019 4:25 pm)

July 7, 2019 6:04 pm  #9

I think there was a Captain Andy on CHCH from Hamilton. Is that who you're referring to? Anyone remember that show? Can't find much about it. 

July 7, 2019 6:39 pm  #10

Go to the head of the class!  It was indeed Captain Andy!  IIRC he was on in the afternoon  just before, as he called it, Family ThATEr. He also cautioned us kids to laugh at the Three Stooges but not to "do what they do." Could it have been because there had been a rash of eye-poking? Or an epidemic of nyuk-nyuking? (Guilty on the lesser charge , your honour!)

Maybe I'm wrong in thinking everyone but me, and now you RA,  had forgotten Captain Andy, but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning him. Nor The Professor on CFTO for that matter.

July 7, 2019 7:07 pm  #11

potentiometer wrote:

Nor The Professor on CFTO for that matter.

We did have two SOWNY members who fondly recalled the Professor's Hideaway. Regular posters Uncle Fester and Mace mentioned it in a thread put up here almost exactly a year ago to the day on Local Kid Show hosts in one of our Friday Flashback features. 

You can find that here.  

July 7, 2019 9:07 pm  #12

John D wrote:

It was Jerry that taught me the “Buffalo accent of western NY.” If there was a little girl named Patty, he would pronounce it Pee-at-ee. That accent would stay with me for years.

What an amazing coincidence this would come up this weekend, because the Buffalo News published this article on Sunday. And it's right on your point - and Uncle Jerry's.

The Buffalo accent: Try all you want, but you 'ke-an't' avoid it

July 7, 2019 10:04 pm  #13

Mace, if you check the ad for Mike & Buttons near the beginning of this thread, you will see they mention that the program ran daily from 5-5:30.  However I do remember another show called Fun To Learn; also done with marionettes that rain in the afternoon; featuring Dolly Dresden & Benny The Bookworm.

Last edited by John D (July 7, 2019 10:22 pm)

July 7, 2019 10:08 pm  #14

Something else.  I believe nightly at around 6 was the western Sagebrush Trail.  My Dad didn't mind me watching this show during the dinner hour; because he was a western fanatic. Also Clint Eastwood would remain Rowdy Yates to him for his lifetime.  He loved the character.  Rawhide!!!  Here's the daily shows that includes Sagebrush Trail at 6.Retro:Buffalo, New York Monday, November 23, 1953
WBEN-TV 4 (All Networks)

WBEN (now WIVB) was Buffalo's first and only TV station at the time..While DuMont was one of Channel 4's affiliated Networks, A cursory look at the week's schedule indicated no DuMont programs..

Source:TV Today Magazine

7AM Today and Garroway-NBC
8:55 News-Jack Oglivie
9AM Girl Talk-Mary J. Abeles
9:30 Learn and Live
9:45 Garry Moore-CBS (Delayed from 1:30 in the afternoon)
10AM Ding Dong School-NBC
10:30 Arthur Godfrey-CBS
11:30 Strike It Rich-CBS
Noon-News-Jack Oglivie
12:15 Love Of Life-CBS
12:30 Search For Tomorrow-CBS
12:45 Guiding Light-CBS
1PM Matinee Playhouse
1:45 Johnny Corbett
2PM Double Or Nothing-CBS
2:30 Meet The Millers-Bill/Mildred Miller
3PM Big Payoff-CBS
3:30 Kate Smith Show-NBC (Joined In Progress)
4PM Welcome Travelers-NBC
4:30 On Your Account-NBC
5PM Fun To Learn
5:15 Children's Theatre
5:30 Howdy Doody-NBC
6PM Sagebrush Trail
6:30 News-Ed Dinsmore
6:45 Sports-Chuck Healy
7PM Ozzie And Harriet-ABC (delayed)
7:30 Goin' Paces-Travelogue
7:45 (Camel) News Caravan-Swayze-NBC
8PM Name That Tune-NBC
8:30 Voice Of Firestone-NBC
9PM I Love Lucy-CBS
9:30 I Led Three LLives-Syndicated
10PM Studio One-CBS
11PM News-Harry Webb
11:10 Sports/Weather
11:25 What's The Record
11:30 National Pro Football Highlights
Midnight Suspense-CBS (delayed)

Last edited by John D (July 7, 2019 10:20 pm)

July 8, 2019 7:40 am  #15

And of course on Professor's Hideaway there was Diver Dan and Baron Barracuda.  My wife loved this show.  Ah CFTO.  They never asked the taxpayer for anything.

July 8, 2019 1:08 pm  #16

RA,  I never tire of these pieces.  The information they contain and the subsequent posts that appear,  continue to bring back fond memories and new knowledge.

July 8, 2019 1:36 pm  #17

DIVER DAN!!!!!

o   m   g

I'm 7 years old again.

July 8, 2019 1:45 pm  #18

potentiometer wrote:

DIVER DAN!!!!!

o   m   g

I'm 7 years old again.

Shot through a fishbowl to get that watery look and to save money.

A long time ago - before YouTube and the Internet - I went to a special evening at a nightclub featuring - of all people - the Toronto Star's Rob Salem. It was an odd event called "Please Stand By," and it was dedicated to old TV. At one point, Salem played a clip of the theme song from Diver Dan and the entire place, which was packed, let out a collective "Ooohh!" 

I took that to mean they all remembered it but hadn't seen it or thought of it for years. And that simple song brought back memories that came in ocean waves. It's been decades, but I still vividly recall that reaction. Odd how something so simple can resonate so strongly for so long. 

Diver Dan's Wikipedia Entry

What I believe is the first ever episode is available at the Internet Archive site here. But YouTube has a rare colour verson, below.  

July 8, 2019 10:59 pm  #19

Thank you for that video RA.  It's 11 pm and my wife was half asleep as I played this from my computer.  She was in here in no time.  Thanks for the memories once again.

July 9, 2019 2:56 am  #20

The "Las Vegas Show" is a fascinating story. It wasn't a CBS show. It was the lone offering from an upstart would-be fourth network that started as the Overmyer Network (for founder D.H. Overmyer) and was then known as the United Network. Bill Dana hosted the show, which was a rather high-budget affair, and which pretty much wiped out the United Network before it could really get its feet under it. Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive entry on the whole matter, and there's an even better one here:

http://www.uhftelevision.com/articles/overmyer.html

July 9, 2019 7:58 am  #21

fybush wrote:

The "Las Vegas Show" is a fascinating story. It wasn't a CBS show. It was the lone offering from an upstart would-be fourth network that started as the Overmyer Network (for founder D.H. Overmyer) and was then known as the United Network. Bill Dana hosted the show, which was a rather high-budget affair, and which pretty much wiped out the United Network before it could really get its feet under it. Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive entry on the whole matter, and there's an even better one here:

http://www.uhftelevision.com/articles/overmyer.html

Wow, what a great story and a great site! I'd never heard of Overmyer or his moribund network before, but I can't help but wonder what might have happened had he succeeded. Thanks for the link. (Those interested in the bizarre detailed story on Buffalo's Channel 17 can find it here.)