sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2019 9:19 am  #1

The Fan 680?

Ever since the Leafs made it to Game 7 (sorry for the painful memory) 680 News has taken every opportunity possible to lead with sports – and in what I can sarcastically say is just a coincidence, owner Rogers has a huge financial stake in every one of the teams involved.

At first it was Toronto’s storied hockey franchise. They found every excuse to lead every half hour with them, regardless of whether the next game was two minutes away or two days. When that ended, they turned their attention to the arrival of Vladimir Guerrero Jr. on the otherwise moribund Rogers-owned Blue Jays. Hour after hour, it was treated like the Second Coming and it was the lede.

When that was no longer feasible, they tuned their attention to the Raptors, who have been the first story for much of the weekend and on Monday, despite there being a plethora of other worthy stories, from the flooding up north, an intruder entering through an open window and assaulting a women in her sleep in Toronto, all the way to the synagogue shooting in California.

Hey, the Raptors playoff hunt is a great story. But to contend it’s the major story of the hour, day after day after day – even when they’re not playing – is a bit much. Maybe I’m wrong and it wouldn’t be the first time. But the cynic in me wonders if there’s a lot of corporate interest leading to these decisions on the lede – and not actual news judgment. It hurts their credibility and they should knock it off. 

April 29, 2019 9:48 am  #2

Re: The Fan 680?

Roger! Um, I mean Rogers!

April 29, 2019 10:28 am  #3

On the 21st they were playing the game live. It was like a throwback to their All-OJ-radio days in the mid-90s, when they would simulcast hours of the OJ Simpson trial instead of news.

April 29, 2019 12:16 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Ever since the Leafs made it to Game 7 (sorry for the painful memory) 680 News has taken every opportunity possible to lead with sports – and in what I can sarcastically say is just a coincidence, owner Rogers has a huge financial stake in every one of the teams involved.

At first it was Toronto’s storied hockey franchise. They found every excuse to lead every half hour with them, regardless of whether the next game was two minutes away or two days. When that ended, they turned their attention to the arrival of Vladimir Guerrero Jr. on the otherwise moribund Rogers-owned Blue Jays. Hour after hour, it was treated like the Second Coming and it was the lede.

When that was no longer feasible, they tuned their attention to the Raptors, who have been the first story for much of the weekend and on Monday, despite there being a plethora of other worthy stories, from the flooding up north, an intruder entering through an open window and assaulting a women in her sleep in Toronto, all the way to the synagogue shooting in California.

Hey, the Raptors playoff hunt is a great story. But to contend it’s the major story of the hour, day after day after day – even when they’re not playing – is a bit much. Maybe I’m wrong and it wouldn’t be the first time. But the cynic in me wonders if there’s a lot of corporate interest leading to these decisions on the lede – and not actual news judgment. It hurts their credibility and they should knock it off. 

>> But the cynic in me wonders if there’s a lot of corporate interest leading to these decisions on the lede – and not actual news judgment.

There is.

>> It hurts their credibility and they should knock it off.

They won't. 680 is a 24/7 info-commercial for all things Rogers.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (April 29, 2019 12:17 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 29, 2019 12:20 pm  #5

Whatever happens on Game of Thrones Sunday evening also seems to be a major story every Monday on 680. Many mentions and two items on it in a mere 30min today between 8a-8:30a

April 29, 2019 3:29 pm  #6

Chuck99 wrote:

When 1050 AM became TSN 1050 in 2011, a press release indicated the station might carry radio broadcasts of major golf tournaments such as the Masters.  I wondered how that would have sounded, especially when a player was making an important putt to win the match.  

SiriusXM has PGA Radio, which has talk shows on golf and live coverage of all PGA events. For the hard-core golf fan like myself it's excellent, but it wouldn't appeal the average listener. They also have NASCAR radio, where you can follow auto races. Not my cup of tea, but it has a following.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram