sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 15, 2019 4:39 pm  #1

MyFM 101.3 Milton Asks For Urgent Power Boost

Another radio station within the radius of Toronto is pleading for a power boost, claiming it may not be able to survive without it.

The latest request comes from CJML-FM, the MyFM outlet at 101.3 in Milton. The station claims its signal is severely limited within its area of licence and that if it doesn’t get permission to go from 950 watts to 2,000, its business plan may die.

The station has done a ton of tests from various locations and claims its findings show many in Milton are getting too much interference from nearby competitors like CJSA Toronto, the multicultural format also at 101.3 and even CFNY at not so nearby 102.1.

“With the level of interference that is being experienced advertisers are becoming more reticent in advertising on CJML-FM...” the powers-that-be argue, noting the initial excitement and support for the place has died down since it launched. "The constant 'push-back' from potential advertisers is that the signal doesn't cover the Town resulting in lower sales than anticipated.”

Of course we’ve heard this before. AM740 famously stole 96.7 by threatening to cease broadcasting if electrical interference downtown wasn’t addressed with an FM frequency. And many here will recall the seemingly endless debate over the Evanov’s Z103.5 and CIRR 103.9 proposed frequency switches to better reach their audience. (That story is apparently still pending, although the CRTC slapped down the former and ordered it to serve its original area of Orangeville and stop seeking ads from Toronto.)

In this instance, Jon Pole’s MyFM may have a case. It vows it doesn’t care about Toronto, only wants to serve Milton, has a history at its other stations of being truly local and can’t get past the problem any other way. It also acknowledges there will be interference in some places and others in Milton won’t be able to get it at all. But the power boost will be better than nothing – and a lot of nothing is what they’re having to deal with now.

April 15, 2019 5:56 pm  #2

Re: MyFM 101.3 Milton Asks For Urgent Power Boost

kman wrote:

If it was truly local, MyFM wouldn't have one morning show (Jamie & Meg in the morning) and one afternoon show (used to be Michael Badaway, not sure who's doing it now) be voice-tracked to all the MyFM stations. The only thing local is the news coverage. 

Perhaps Jon is spending too much time at Newstalk 1010 and not enough overseeing MyFM. From their Facebook page...

Kahley Parker reviewed 93.3 myFM – 1 star 13 January 2018 · Not up to date. Very disappointing as we were told to listen to this station for bus and school cancellations. Play the same music and songs over and over... At the same times. We will be finding a better local station. 

Heidi Leigh reviewed 93.3 myFM – 2 star 29 September 2017 · Come on! Playing the news from a week ago?? Really? I listen only for the local news, weather and traffic and you can't even do that correctly! I'm a commuter and rely on up to date info, but sadly, it doesn't exist in Northumberland County!

Patti Kozlowski reviewed 93.3 myFM – 1 star 28 October 2017 · How can you say lastest breaking news. That is false. Old news why bother.

April 15, 2019 6:07 pm  #3

If they had traditional local live shifts, the stations wouldn't exist in places like Milton in the first place. The local news, community billboards, and even the commercials are more local radio than these town would have otherwise had.

The reviews above are for Coburg, a market that has had local radio for a long time, and where they took over an existing station. It's a bit of an odd fit in their portfolio, and is a downgrade from its previous incarnation. 

April 15, 2019 6:30 pm  #4

Where is their transmitter/antenna currently in Milton?  It should be on the escarpment if they want a decent coverage.  

April 15, 2019 9:37 pm  #5

Its business plan will die regardless of the power increase or not... Milton is really close to the Toronto radio market (actually within the market), which has plenty of choices for Milton listeners to choose from. They don't have to tune-in for a local radio station for news and music, at least they got 680 News for the information, and plenty of pop stations from the FM dial. myFM is doomed simply by broadcasting out of Milton, the brand only works in very small towns throughout Ontario.

Moreover I'm really shocked at the first time that CRTC actually approves myFM broadcasting from 101.3,  Although the signal of cmr FM101.3 (CJSA) is one of the weakest from FCP, due to the height of the building, it propagates fairly well throughout Greater Toronto Area, with signal being heard east to Ajax, north to Aurora, and west to Milton before myFM exists. Now CJSA already dominates areas east of 407 in Mississauga, and there’s already quite some interference between the areas of Milton and Mississauga, especially west of interchange between 401 & 407. However CJSA's signal is still much stronger than myFM's right now. I could hardly see it being approved, unless it applies for a move in dial, maybe 0.2-0.4MHz apart from CJSA.

April 16, 2019 1:46 pm  #6

To their defense..  That station has some major signal issues, due to 101.3 Toronto.       Driving down the 401 gives a good example of this, as the station can barely be heard clearly, unless between James Snow and Guelph line, even then it's questionable.

They need MORE power to push back the Toronto signal, or move to a different frequency, which may not be available. 

Personally, I question putting the station on a co-channel so close, as it would be better to put it on a 2nd adjacency from a station further away if possible.. 

April 16, 2019 2:49 pm  #7

Maybe switching to something like 101.7 might give a little room to improve.  

April 16, 2019 3:37 pm  #8

radiokid wrote:

To their defense..  That station has some major signal issues, due to 101.3 Toronto.       Driving down the 401 gives a good example of this, as the station can barely be heard clearly, unless between James Snow and Guelph line, even then it's questionable. 

They've done a slew of tests to show how spotty the reception is. And yes, James Snow Parkway is one of the places they looked at (listened to?) Copies of the audio results were sent to the CRTC. 

April 16, 2019 7:11 pm  #9

Heres the transmitter site.  No wonder.

https://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=CJML-FM&params=43_30_12.4_N_79_51_22.5_W_type:landmark_region:CA

ERP0.228 minimum kW,
0.486 kWaverage
0.950 kWs peak

Last edited by markow202 (April 16, 2019 7:14 pm)

April 17, 2019 1:00 pm  #10

A number of thoughts here...

When your trying to set up one of these jukeboxes with an antenna that play commercials on a dollar store budget, where you really all that surprised your signal is just not there?  You shoe boxed yourself and doubt no matter how dire the situation you are going to get a power increase.  You also have to find the cheapest place to put up an antenna and that limits 'best location' and further exasperates the situation.

The transmitter is not going up the escarpment and The Grand and the Rexdale station are not gonna give on the adjacency.  This is an overly crowded spectrum where they have relaxed some of the old rules.  I believe CJSA is running HD... oh that is gonna hurt an adjacent!  That may explain hash and interference issues.

I have no clue why the CRTC licences these type of stations.  Shoehorning in community stations who with proper leadership would much better serve the community makes more sense than these commercial dollar store jukebox with an antenna operations.  Personally I have no idea why this or even that 960 AM station were even approved.  It makes no sense to me whether that on a technical basis or as a business case.

April 17, 2019 7:03 pm  #11

Maybe they can become "My AM" and park on a frequency formerly used by stations in Southern Ontario:.  Such as 710, 1090, 1390, 1450, 1470, 1490, 1570 or 1600?     (I guess 1220 and 1350 can't be used if the new St Catharines and Brampton stations ever come to fruition)

April 17, 2019 10:35 pm  #12

The location of transmitter is in a natural low point of the surrounding area,  The site is south of Derry Rd. and is close to a small creek bed. They are using a mono pole, similar to that of a cell phone site. 

I was in the area this afternoon... signal started to drop off as I headed east along Derry Rd. approaching 4th Line... Noise and hash at James Snow Pkwy. and completely over taken by the ethic station when I reached 6th Line.

I'm no expert by any means... but I don't think that a power increase will be the sole solution. An increase in EHAAT of the antenna array has to be considered.

April 18, 2019 8:23 pm  #13

kman wrote:

If it was truly local, MyFM wouldn't have one morning show (Jamie & Meg in the morning) and one afternoon show (used to be Michael Badaway, not sure who's doing it now) be voice-tracked to all the MyFM stations. The only thing local is the news coverage. 

From the original 2015 application:
"The station will provide local news, weather, sports and community events along with specialty programming. The music will be mix of artists such as: Elton John, Katy Perry, Bryan Adams, Bruno Mars, Melissa Etheridge, Blue Rodeo, Fergie, Lifehouse, Tom Cochrane and Maroon Five." 

For reference, here's the original info from 2015: 
http://sowny.net/viewtopic.php?id=9

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 18, 2019 8:23 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.