sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2019 9:11 am  #1

Newest Terrestrial Broadcast Radio Format: All Podcasts All The Time

I suppose if you have a one lung radio station at 1470 AM in Allentown, Pa. that was broadcasting ESPN Sports in Spanish, you have nothing to lose by changing format. And so it is that WSAN, an iHeartRadio station, has adopted a new plan: airing all podcasts all the time on a traditional broadcaster.

It’s an odd idea, as the author of the linked article points out, because you can listen to all of them on demand anytime you want without having to wait for a specific time for it to air.

“It’s a strange listen - a set of relatively random pieces of content, linked together on a linear radio station. You might hear some drama, followed by some educational programming, followed by a bit of news and then perhaps some comedy.

And then, I realised. That’s exactly what NPR, ABC, RN or BBC Radio 4 is. A slightly random collection of individual show, linked together on a linear radio station.”

If it actually works, I suppose they could roll it out elsewhere. But it seems to me that fighting this intrusive podcast fire with fire will only get the company burned.

All Podcast Radio Station Launched

March 19, 2019 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Newest Terrestrial Broadcast Radio Format: All Podcasts All The Time

RadioActive wrote:

“It’s a strange listen - a set of relatively random pieces of content, linked together on a linear radio station. You might hear some drama, followed by some educational programming, followed by a bit of news and then perhaps some comedy.

Kind of like music if you think about it.  Especially given access to music these days.

March 19, 2019 12:52 pm  #3

You can listen to it here and decide for yourself. 

March 19, 2019 7:24 pm  #4

WSAN can heard in Toronto at times.   

But... this morning at 6 a.m. 1470 was all WMBD Peoria IL.  At 7:00 a.m. 1470 was all WNYY Ithica NY.  And at 7:15 p.m. this evening1470 had WPDM Potsdam NY.