sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2019 2:45 pm  #1

1220 AM St Catharines, ON

1220 AM St Catharines has been granted another extension to getting their 10,000 watt transmitter up and running (this is the second CRTC extension). They (Radio Dhun) have proposed a classic hits format. Any thoughts?

March 14, 2019 4:48 pm  #2

Re: 1220 AM St Catharines, ON

Classic hits???
What??
Say it ain't so
I'm getting tired of waiting.
I've been taking Tamil language classes & have become quite proficient.
In fact I'm so fluent that I could drive cab in Toronto full time if I wanted to.
I don't want to.  
Get the God damn thing open will you so I can show you all 

March 14, 2019 5:52 pm  #3

DOPEfm wrote:

They (Radio Dhun) have proposed a classic hits format. Any thoughts?

March 14, 2019 6:05 pm  #4

Radio Dhun? More like Radio Done, if you ask me. I'm not convinced we'll ever actually get to hear this station. But I could be wrong. It took CKNT seven years, but they finally hit the air. (Think of how many more greatest hits there will be to play by then!)  

By the way, their Facebook page consists almost entirely of ads for immigration services. But not a single word about the coming Grapevine Radio.

They also list themselves as being at 100.7, which I'm guessing means they're leasing time from CHIN FM. Why they would try for a classics hits format is beyond me, but it's possible the CRTC didn't think there was room for another ethnic outlet in the area.

March 14, 2019 6:56 pm  #5

Radio Doom?

March 14, 2019 7:46 pm  #6

According to Canadian Radio News, the latest delay centres on getting their transmitter equipment, which is taking longer than expected. And it ends with this: "The station should be on the air by late Spring/early summer 2019."

That would put them on the air sometime in the next few months. We'll see if that happens or if there will be another excuse for a delay. Meanwhile, monitor 1220 every now and then just to see if anything actually turns up. 

March 15, 2019 1:05 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Radio Dhun? More like Radio Done, if you ask me. I'm not convinced we'll ever actually get to hear this station. But I could be wrong. It took CKNT seven years, but they finally hit the air. (Think of how many more greatest hits there will be to play by then!)  
By the way, their Facebook page consists almost entirely of ads for immigration services. But not a single word about the coming Grapevine Radio.

On their Facebook page, this is claimed to be their website:
http://www.radiodhuntoronto.com/ 
er...WAS their website??  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 15, 2019 9:39 pm  #8

Chuck99 wrote:

If the application involved an FM frequency, there would be no extensions granted by the CRTC.  But there is little demand for available AM frequencies in small to medium markets, such as St. Catharines.

I have never considered this proposal to be viable from a business perspective for two reasons.  1) the transmitter is nearly 40 years old and likely requires expensive repairs and upgrades.  2) the original CHSC went into receivership in 1990 and under new ownership in 2008, the bank foreclosed on its Queenston St. studios and sold the equipment at auction.  The CRTC declined to renew the stations license in 2010 after repeated programming violations and the fact that the station was broadcasting from multiple undisclosed locations.

This track record does not bode well for a successful relaunch of the station.

The History of Canadian Broadcasting site indicates CHSC and a sister FM went in the air in 1967. In 1990 the FM was split and sold and the AM operation was left to stand on its own. By 1994 CHSC was seeking bankruptcy protection.

It appears things took a turn for the worse from 1990 to 1994, the point where they sought protection. Although AM radio generally continued to decline in the 90's, I'm surprised how quickly the station transitioned from a presumably profitable operation when it was sold in 1990 to potential bankruptcy in 1994. It had a fairly new transmitter and site so no major expenses there. What the heck happened?

Given that CHSC struggled through receivership and owners for the last 20 years of its existence, was the station ever really successful?

With all the challenges to return to the air, in today's broadcast environment is there any business plan / format that would comply with all the rules and generate a small profit to sustain its operation. You guys have far more expertise than I. What do you think? Possible, or is this doomed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

March 16, 2019 5:48 am  #9

Chuck99 wrote:

The mother tongue for the vast majority of Niagara residents is English, so i doubt ethnic programming would work.  The station will struggle with the classic hits format because the same music can be heard in stereo on 101.1 FM, which flipped to a similar format a year ago.

& the grand FM to also compete with on top of all that.
If only they could do a test run on the internet to show us what they intend to do to sound any different... 

March 27, 2019 12:17 am  #10

I read they should be up on the air later this year. Guess we'll see...

Just for the record, they should do oldies music.

Last edited by DOPEfm (March 27, 2019 12:18 am)

March 27, 2019 8:48 am  #11

DOPEfm wrote:

I read they should be up on the air later this year. Guess we'll see...

It would be a mockery if they did anything other ... given that a licence was revoked for this.

March 27, 2019 11:22 am  #12

DOPEfm wrote:

Years ago I would have agreed that if it was recorded in mono it belongs on AM radio. 
However, things change, times change.
With the internet, HD radio & other possible sources for AM to be heard (including a Rogers digital cable box)
I think my point has gone moot...

March 27, 2019 2:17 pm  #13

Chuck99 wrote:

If the ownership wants to distinguish itself from other stations in the area, it better go way back...like the 1960s...with their music playlist. 

Is 1440 WJJL still on the air? Aren't they already doing that? Everything seems to be covered.

March 27, 2019 5:02 pm  #14

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

There's also the new station coming to 88.5 in Grimsby/Beamsville.

Will it interfere with Jewel 88.5  Newmarket?

March 27, 2019 7:03 pm  #15

Chuck99 wrote:

Not likely!  I just read the CRTC notice of approval and the signal is only supposed to reach portions of Hamilton and St. Catharines.  The music format will be Classic Hits/Oldies to target the 25 to 64 age group.  Yikes!!!

I love that optimism/spin that there will be anyone under 45 listening. 

March 27, 2019 8:45 pm  #16

markow202 wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

There's also the new station coming to 88.5 in Grimsby/Beamsville.

Will it interfere with Jewel 88.5  Newmarket?

that grimsby signal won't even hit the western portion of hamilton.  it's limited to the west due to the Jewel and others.  It doesn't even place a 3mV anywhere close to st. kitts in the east.  but it does get a lot of fish in lake ontario....

June 25, 2019 9:07 pm  #17

1220 AM - St Catharines - assigned ISED broadcast call sign CFAJ AM.

June 25, 2019 11:17 pm  #18

DOPEfm wrote:

1220 AM - St Catharines - assigned ISED broadcast call sign CFAJ AM.

Where do they get call letters like that from?
Are they still sticking with the Grapevine 1220 name?
Why not CFGV? 

June 26, 2019 10:01 pm  #19

Good Point!

I'm just waiting to see if this station actually goes to air. I'm supportive of the format and want to see it make it on AM.

June 27, 2019 12:55 am  #20

DOPEfm wrote:

Good Point!

I'm just waiting to see if this station actually goes to air. I'm supportive of the format and want to see it make it on AM.

Sure, but they need to dig deep into the format so they don't get stuck playing the same can con songs over and over just to fill the can con regs.
It amazes me they have not launched an internet station ready to go AM at the flick of a switch. 
That would be both smart and show that they are very serious...can con regs and all. 

December 24, 2019 7:19 pm  #21

I wondering what progress has been made with the new, yet to air CFAJ 1220 AM St Catharines?

December 24, 2019 8:57 pm  #22

When I saw the title of the thread "1220 AM St Catharines, ON" I have to admit I thought it meant that 1220 was On!

I'm beginning to think this is another CKNT in the making and I wonder if we'll ever actually hear this station in 2020.

Their licence was awarded in 2016, now almost four years ago. According to the CRTC decision, they were supposed to be up and running by April 20, 2018 to start their best of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 2000s format.

I'm sure they've applied for an extension since then and normally I'd ask 'how long is too long?' But given Sauga 960's seven year plus odyssey to launch, I suppose anything is possible.