sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2019 9:40 am  #1

Ont. campus radio stations ask government to make their fees mandatory

I worked at a campus station in the middle 70s and it was a great place to learn. So I understand how important they can be for someone who plans to make a living in that industry. Others were just there for a lark.

But I'm not sure you can force already impoverished students to pay for it, just like the people at Jazz FM have to depend on listener contributions and are not able to force the money out of your wallet without your permission.

Ontario campus radio stations ask government to make their fees mandatory

March 7, 2019 1:57 pm  #2

Re: Ont. campus radio stations ask government to make their fees mandatory

I think back to the fall of Radio Waterloo (CKMS) a number of years ago when the student union held a plebiscite to ask if they should revoke the $5.50/term fee.  Only 28% of eligible voters turned out and just slightly over 50% voted in favour of removing the fee.  The rest is history.

As I see it, the low turnout suggests that at least 72% of the student body just don't care if there is a radio station and 6 bucks a term isn't worth fighting over anyway.  Besides, at least at UW, many students were too busy with their education in the sciences to bother with the frivolity of radio.  At the time it was sold to the student body as a great way to inform the students of events happening around them.

Fast forward to today and that argument just doesn't wash.  Radio (and the printed student newspaper for that matter) is totally unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.  Technology marches on and changes everything.  Do they even have landline telephones in student housing anymore?

March 7, 2019 2:11 pm  #3

Re: Ont. campus radio stations ask government to make their fees mandatory

It was a recent article in the Eye Opener student newspaper, following pretty intense investigative journalism, that alerted Rye students about financial improprieties involving student council. We're talking a drink or two at the bar a year or a low-end meal at a food court.