sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2019 10:50 am  #1

Is This Really The Greatest Single Sitcom Episode Ever?

I just noticed that at 10:30 AM this morning (Tuesday) CHCH has scheduled the Mary Tyler Moore Show episode called "Chuckles Bites The Dust." This particular show has been named by TV Guide and others as the single greatest half hour program in the history of television comedy. 

I'm not sure I'd put it that high, but it's definitely up there with some of the all time best scripts in the medium's history, delivered by a cast that was simply sensational. 

A little song,
A little dance,
A little seltzer
Down your pants. 

March 5, 2019 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Is This Really The Greatest Single Sitcom Episode Ever?

I assume you're referring to "The Contest," the Seinfeld episode about masturbation. That's a great choice. 

You might also pick the classic Sammy Davis Jr. appearance on All In The Family. 

Then there's Taxi's wonderful "Reverend Jim Gets His Licence" half hour, with the 'what does a yellow light mean?' routine.

Or how about the surreal "A Square Is Not Round," from Green Acres in the 60s, in which Oliver is driven crazy trying to figure out which hen is laying square eggs.

But for me, the funniest single episode of any show I've ever seen has to be the one below, from the Burns & Allen Show, which aired in the 50s. I dare you not to laugh at "Too Many Fathers." I've seen it hundreds of times and it always makes me laugh uncontrollably, especially the last five minutes. And as a bonus, it boasts George's magic TV set, in which he watches the show in progress and comments on it as it goes on.  

March 5, 2019 2:10 pm  #3

'Turkeys Away', natch.

The IT Crowd - 'The Work Outing' is certainly high on the list.

March 5, 2019 5:40 pm  #4

The Burns and Allen shows were a goldmine when I needed vintage material for a nightly big band nostalgia show. Gracie could always be counted on for some very funny (and out there) bits . She would have been a star in any era...With Bea B on the staircase...off the hook!  

March 5, 2019 8:18 pm  #5

All you have to do is ask.

March 5, 2019 8:20 pm  #6

Charlie wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

No.

None of these comedy classics come close to any Frank D'Angelo video?

Of course not.  Those performers didn't foot the bill for their air time.  They were actually paid because they had talent!

March 6, 2019 10:48 am  #7

it's all relative  and depends on who you ask and when you ask them,. I personally loved the old 60's sitcoms that stations such as CKVR and CHEX played back in the 1970's and 80's.

Like the Leave it to Beaver episode when the beave  has to go to court for driving a small home built racer or the episode of the Munsters where grandpa takes Herman to a hick town to get his drivers licence renewed or the episode of the Beverly Hill Billies when Jethro and Mr Drysdale cavort around the Beverly Hills greens in a tank.

and Mary Tyler Moore fans might even enjoy Jerry Van Dyke on My Mother The Car.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 6, 2019 9:50 pm  #8

If animated sitcoms are allowed, I would suggest The Simpsons "Itchy & Scratchy:  The Movie" episode.