sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2019 1:35 pm  #1

The Jazz FM Fund drive is on with some familiar voices lending a hand

The spring fund drive is on the air and there seems to be a lot of donors coming back or upping their donations...listening in a little, there seems to be a renewed spirit and some joy with the new board taking over and righting the ship as it were.

There is still some issues to sort out, but it is nice to hear Bryan Snelson, Heather Bambrick, David Baskin will be on air tomorrow with Glen Woodcock and Brad Barker the stations afternoon drive host and P.D. is hosting this morning into the early afternoon.

Ex Jazz FM host Walter Venafro is on this afternoon...

It is obvious the new board has a vision and that good things can happen.

If you want to donate, to support a station that isn't owned by a big conglomerate and plays a big part in the Toronto, arts and music scene...you can call 1 800-811-5400,,.I hope they hit their goals...

I like that an independant station can survive it in this competitive market.

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (March 2, 2019 2:47 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 3, 2019 9:52 am  #2

Re: The Jazz FM Fund drive is on with some familiar voices lending a hand

Thanks for the post Joe.  Terry Mcelligott was on as well.  The day after the Board was replaced, I restarted my monthly donation.  I intend on making a special one time donation during this campaign too.  Let's hope it is a success and the start of better things to come.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (March 3, 2019 9:53 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

March 3, 2019 10:43 am  #3

Ross Porter is still on the schedule?

March 3, 2019 11:16 am  #4

Hansa wrote:

If I were a potential donor today, that would be my first question. Porter still there in any capacity, then talk to me when he's gone.
The station Web site does not seem to be keeping pace with whatever may be going on behind the scenes.
What *is* happening? Who *is* there? Why should former/new donors reach for their credit cards?
Another question: Who are the people in the OP?

March 4, 2019 9:53 am  #5

Hansa wrote:

Yes.  I emailed a Board member about it.  It will be interesting to see whether I get a reply and if there is any action on it.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (March 4, 2019 10:01 am)

March 4, 2019 11:41 am  #6

Just curious.  Old board just got voted out.  New board just got voted in.  YAY!  So who hired some of the former on air  talent so quickly to fundraise?

Last edited by AMFM (March 4, 2019 11:43 am)

March 4, 2019 12:25 pm  #7

I think Ross, is gone...he is not involved with this fund drive, it may be tough to totally let him go, as there could be legal implications.

Many of those old voices you hear on this fund drive, helped encourage voting members to submit a Blue Proxy, to allow for the change in the boards.

My sense is that there are good things to come, however, healing, trust and any legalities need to be sorted out.

Cheers Mike, Leslieville Bill and AMFM!!!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 4, 2019 12:27 pm  #8

AMFM wrote:

Just curious. Old board just got voted out. New board just got voted in. YAY! So who hired some of the former on air talent so quickly to fundraise?

I don't know if they were hired or volunteered.  A number of them who were not fired (quit/retired) were very vocal about the old board needing to be replaced and helped with the proxy fight.  I suspect they feel vindicated and motivated.  I just think they want the new regime to be a sucess.  Terry McElligott, Heather Bambrick and Ralph Benmergui come to mind.  As an aside, Jaymz Bee will be on later this week to fundraise with Benmergui.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (March 4, 2019 12:31 pm)

March 4, 2019 1:50 pm  #9

I believe Jaymz Bee is back. Not just for fundraising. They were talking that up yesterday....that his hosted Jazz Safari things are back on.

March 4, 2019 10:33 pm  #10

Leslieville Bill wrote:

AMFM wrote:

Just curious. Old board just got voted out. New board just got voted in. YAY! So who hired some of the former on air talent so quickly to fundraise?

I don't know if they were hired or volunteered.  A number of them who were not fired (quit/retired) were very vocal about the old board needing to be replaced and helped with the proxy fight.  I suspect they feel vindicated and motivated.  I just think they want the new regime to be a sucess.  Terry McElligott, Heather Bambrick and Ralph Benmergui come to mind.  As an aside, Jaymz Bee will be on later this week to fundraise with Benmergui.

According to Terry McElligott, those returning were all asked to help out and have volunteered their services this week. In the first two days, $112,000 was raised. Terry says he has NEVER EVER seen that level of support in such a short time.
By this, Day 3, more than HALF of the target has been achieved. Same deal.
Fundraising goes to Sunday, then the former-staff volunteers all go back to their "new, moved-on lives." (Not sure about Jaymz)
Note - Fundraising normally waits until May. We can draw our own conclusions as to why it's happening now.
Also, nothing official re Ross Porter.

Last edited by mike marshall (March 4, 2019 10:50 pm)

March 4, 2019 11:57 pm  #11

New Board member and former station business reporter, Bryan Snelson said they had a "financial hill to climb" but a successful campaign would see the station on a much better footing and [my words] save the day.  Aside from Jaymz Bee, David Baskin, the former Stolen Moments host said he would like to be asked back.  

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (March 4, 2019 11:58 pm)