sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 27, 2019 5:11 pm  #1

Unbelievable! CBC Radio One Breaks Away From JWR After Just 10 Mins.

It's been the biggest story in Canada for more than four weeks. And it all culminated in one huge moment on Wednesday afternoon - the country would finally hear from former Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould on whether she felt illegal pressure on the SNC-Lavalin case. 

I was listening to the coverage on CBC Radio One, when she started speaking at around 3:48 PM. While this was not on broadcast TV, the cable news outlets were providing wall-to-wall coverage of what is probably the biggest single political story of the year and could have a huge effect on the election in October.  Unfortunately, I wasn't near a TV set, so I listened to it on the radio.  

So what did CBC Radio do? As the former A-G was giving her long awaited and stunning opening 30-minute statement, they cut away at 3:58, went to a promo and then to an hourly newscast, followed by their drive home show. And we never heard from JWR again. Instead, to add insult to injury, they went into a long explanation of ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen's testimony in Washington earlier that day.  

I could not believe what I was hearing. Or rather, wasn't hearing.

Even as Bell Media and Corus aired the whole thing commercial-free, the CBC - the broadcaster that's supposed to represent all things Canadian - decided their listeners didn't need to hear it.  

I am astounded. If anyone should have covered this from beginning to end, it's the nation's taxpayer funded network. There are a lot of people who accuse the CBC of being the Liberal government's unabashed mouthpiece. This certainly does nothing to dispel that notion. 

Wow. I'd love to hear their explanation for this.    

February 27, 2019 6:22 pm  #2

Re: Unbelievable! CBC Radio One Breaks Away From JWR After Just 10 Mins.

In the immortal words of grilled.cheese "I AM OUTRAGED"

February 27, 2019 6:44 pm  #3

Actually, you should be. You pay taxes, whether you want to or not, to support them. If they don't cover this, a story that has exploded like a bomb on Canadian politics, then what else are they leaving out?

February 27, 2019 8:58 pm  #4

Yup. I was listening. The Corpse really shit the bed on this one. 

February 27, 2019 9:07 pm  #5

If the CBC had continued to air the statement, its audience would have heard one familiar name mentioned a fair number of times - Ben Chin, the Chief of Staff of the Office of the Finance Minister.

And yes, that IS the same Ben Chin who once worked for both City TV and CBC. 

February 27, 2019 10:06 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

If the CBC had continued to air the statement, its audience would have heard one familiar name mentioned a fair number of times - Ben Chin, the Chief of Staff of the Office of the Finance Minister.

I WAS curious about that!!

February 27, 2019 10:31 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

And Toronto 1, for what five months or so?, and then a stop over with the Ontario Power Authority as a Communications Veep....  most prominent during the early stages of the "Gas Plant" fiasco... 

March 1, 2019 10:06 pm  #8

Why does this surprise anyone? Their coverage of everything is slanted to the political left.

Many years ago when George Bush 2 was the US President, I was on a road trip with a colleague who was a fan of the CBC. He felt CBC's coverage of events was non-partisan. I made a bet with the colleague. I'd turn on CBC radio and within five minutes they would criticize Bush for something. We did not get out of the parking lot before the CBC came through.

I wouldn't believe a spots score reported by this outfit.

March 1, 2019 10:48 pm  #9

darcyh wrote:

Why does this surprise anyone? Their coverage of everything is slanted to the political left.

Many years ago when George Bush 2 was the US President, I was on a road trip with a colleague who was a fan of the CBC. He felt CBC's coverage of events was non-partisan. I made a bet with the colleague. I'd turn on CBC radio and within five minutes they would criticize Bush for something. We did not get out of the parking lot before the CBC came through.

I wouldn't believe a spots score reported by this outfit.

Given that the Liberals are a relatively centrist party, a truly leftist CBC would have stayed with the story through decomposition because the story, while complex and about many things wrong, is in part about the reliance of government on large private corporations, and the consequences of privatizing government functions. No party that's held power is actually clean; and they're all vulnerable.

Furthermore, you heard what you interpreted as criticism of Bush once, at the right gotcha moment, on the CBC. Yes, that does prove bias.

Last edited by Saul (March 1, 2019 10:50 pm)

March 2, 2019 12:08 am  #10

Saul wrote:

Furthermore, you heard what you interpreted as criticism of Bush once, at the right gotcha moment, on the CBC. Yes, that does prove bias.

Agree with Saul here... GW was... at that time... an easy target.  While he wasn't Trump, Bush' "gotcha moments" were still typically weekly occurrences.

Moreover, I reject the premise that the CBC is beholden to the liberal party, as if emperor Justinian sits down with Catherine Tait on a weekly basis to dictate message.  it is true that they lean left (what media outlet doesn't beyond the toronto sun and fox "news") but i will choose the ceeb over any other news source to cover stories as fairly as possible, particularly local and international but also nationally while considering other sources as well.

People who bitch about a news service being biased or fake news... then do your homework and find out the real story.  accept that every service has an editorial slant, and learn for yourself.  I'm tired of people pointing fingers without offering an alternative or solution.

So what news sources do SOWNY readers trust as impartial and empirically unassailable? 

Sry, between the leafs falling apart last nite, the lousy brier opening draw, and an ounce or two of wine, i'm a little heated.

/rant

March 2, 2019 12:54 am  #11

=12px>> So what news sources do SOWNY readers trust as impartial and empirically unassailable? 

Good question. I view all news reporting nowadays with a skeptic's eye. Generally - as you suggest - I usually check several sources on every story in an effort to weed out the truth.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 2, 2019 12:59 am  #12

On a side note, I was watching CTV News Channel at about 8 p.m. and one of the headlines said Trudeau was planning to shuffle his cabinet today. The shuffle was announced in the morning. Doesn't anyone ever check these things?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 2, 2019 8:06 am  #13

splunge wrote:

So what news sources do SOWNY readers trust  

A poster (individual from Cobourg area, since banned) never missed an opportunity to slam Jeff McArthur who then appeared on both AM640 and Global news.     I was curious and made a point of catching Jeff McArthur on AM 640 and Global news.   

Still do.      

March 2, 2019 8:10 pm  #14

I will be very curious to see what they do when Gerald Butts testifies this week.

If Radio One airs his entire statement without the same kind of interruption as JWR's speech, that will speak volumes. 

March 2, 2019 10:35 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I will be very curious to see what they do when Gerald Butts testifies this week.

If Radio One airs his entire statement without the same kind of interruption as JWR's speech, that will speak volumes. 

no matter what cbc does with butts, someone will find a reason to question it.  if they don't play the entirety, then they're wrong.  if they do, then they're also wrong.  maybe cbc learned from their jwr mistake and will, or maybe they use the same jwr justifications and cut it off.

can't win, don't try.

March 3, 2019 1:36 am  #16

The answer is the CBC is a giant bureaucracy.  Preempting local programming in some places, regional programming in other places and national programming in other places is virtually impossible to do all at the same time with the way Radio One is laid out from an automation standpoint across the country.  CBC News Network is one feed, and is much more capable of handling live breaking news.

On 9/11 it took almost 8 full minutes to get the entire Radio One Network to sync up for national coverage of the attacks to begin.  When Swiss Air Flight 111 went down off Peggy's Cove in the late 90's CBC Radio reporters did live hits during the overnight on WCBS from New York, but couldn't get on their own network.

March 3, 2019 5:51 am  #17

Prod Guy wrote:

The answer is the CBC is a giant bureaucracy.  Preempting local programming in some places, regional programming in other places and national programming in other places is virtually impossible to do all at the same time with the way Radio One is laid out from an automation standpoint across the country.  CBC News Network is one feed, and is much more capable of handling live breaking news.

On 9/11 it took almost 8 full minutes to get the entire Radio One Network to sync up for national coverage of the attacks to begin.  When Swiss Air Flight 111 went down off Peggy's Cove in the late 90's CBC Radio reporters did live hits during the overnight on WCBS from New York, but couldn't get on their own network.

CBC News Network is a cable tv news service, not a radio service.

Radio One was initially able to take the audio feed of the Parliamentary Justice Committee hearing, but not able to stay with it.

How many press conferences start on time? all the time? How many juries return a verdict between 9 to 5 or conventional business hours?

The appearance and testimony of the former Justice Minister before the committee was anticipated as early as Tuesday, and then confirmed for Wednesday at 3:15pm. The fact that JWR did not begin to speak until 3:48pm is just part of the nature of "live".  Production teams are supposed to be able to chase, vamp and fill until such time as the Live event commences.

It was also known beforehand, that Ms. Wilson-Raybould would be granted the thirty minutes to read her statement before questions and testimony from the committee would begin.

I think that should have been sufficient time to clear other programming and sync the Radio One network to carry the live statement and deposition.

March 5, 2019 6:57 pm  #18

It will be interesting to "hear" how CBC and Radio One handle the Commons Justice Committee hearings on Wednesday.

Proceedings are scheduled to begin at 10am. Gerald Butts is scheduled to appear before the committee. Michael Wernick, Clerk of the Privy Council is scheduled to appear before the Commons Justice Committee for a second time.

March 6, 2019 11:32 am  #19

Just when I thought they couldn't sink any lower in my opinion, CBC Radio One strikes again. The last time they cut out of Jody Wilson-Raybould's address, which riveted the country, after less than ten minutes.  

This time, they didn't even bother to cover Gerald Butts' rebuttal (re-Butt-all?) at all. Instead they stuck with the execrable "q" show. What was on there that was more important than the biggest scandal to hit Canada in years? From their website: 

• Author and essayist Zadie Smith talks about her non-fiction writing and what it's taught her about the act of trying to make sense of a chaotic world. 
  • Our online columnist Elamin Abdelmahmoud helps us understand a hoax urban legend for the digital age: the Momo Challenge.
  • Artist and writer Nate Harrison breaks down the history of the Amen drum break.
  • Our fashion columnist Mosha Lundström Halbert discusses a new retrospective of French designer Thierry Mugler's work at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.

Yep, wouldn't want to interrupt that history of the Amen drum break for important Canadian news. Nothing much at stake, just the potential fate of the government, trust in the Prime Minister and the future of the next election.

I thought that was part of the CBC's mandate. I guess I was incorrect.

Whatever part of my tax money goes to support this bloated entity, I would request that they please send it back as soon as possible. 

March 6, 2019 11:36 am  #20

Except for Gerry Butts managing to insert "nine thousand jobs" at least once into each & every sentence, you didn't miss a damn thing

March 6, 2019 11:44 am  #21

Ms. C. wrote:

Except for Gerry Butts managing to insert "nine thousand jobs" at least once into each & every sentence, you didn't miss a damn thing

No I didn't miss nine thousand jobs anything, because I was tuned into nine thousand jobs the commercial stations that were foregoing paid spots nine thousand jobs to actually broadcast the nine thousand jobs thing. Shame on the CBC, which has more than nine thousand jobs but apparently chose not to employ any of them to cover the response. 

March 6, 2019 1:51 pm  #22

Glen Warren wrote:

CBC News Network is a cable tv news service, not a radio service.

Radio One was initially able to take the audio feed of the Parliamentary Justice Committee hearing, but not able to stay with it.

I know.
Explained why above.
To stay with it and pre-empt local news in Toronto, the World at Six out east and regional news out west would have been virtually impossible. The newscasts are all different lengths and rejoining the testimony cleanly would have been virtually impossible.  World At Six and As It Happens would be doing in depth analysis of the testimony anyway.

I'm aware CBC News Network is a cable news channel. It doesn't have local and regional cut aways of different lengths depending on the time of day or region.

March 6, 2019 2:15 pm  #23

I don't dispute what you say, but I have to believe that if Justin Trudeau were to make an announcement that he was resigning and calling an immediate election, somehow they'd manage to take that live for however long it lasted, and then join regular programming "already in progress."

It is inconceivable to me that their schedule is so rigid that there's no room for something of vital national interest that can't supplant it - especially given their stated mandate of being Canada's official voice.  

March 6, 2019 3:49 pm  #24

Ottawa is a huge bureaucracy, populated largely by liberals and Liberals.   
The CBC is a huge bureaucracy, comprised largely of liberals and Liberals.
Why would anyone tune in CBC radio for factual information about liberals and Liberals?

March 6, 2019 10:42 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

Just when I thought they couldn't sink any lower in my opinion, CBC Radio One strikes again. The last time they cut out of Jody Wilson-Raybould's address, which riveted the country, after less than ten minutes.  

This time, they didn't even bother to cover Gerald Butts' rebuttal (re-Butt-all?) at all. Instead they stuck with the execrable "q" show. What was on there that was more important than the biggest scandal to hit Canada in years? 

-- RA above comment edited --
RA, with all respect, you have legitimized my previous post. how much "lower" did they sink??  no matter what cbc radio did, someone will find fault.  ceeb basically treated butts as they did jwr, with no coverage.  Had they played butts in full, anti-cbc audiences would have derided them as pro-liberal and biased.

Sure I don't buy Prod Guy's assertion of network syncing difficulties, because where there's a will there's a way.  but i also doubt the position that it was a political decision.  poor programming choices maybe, or knowing audience preferences.  i dunno why cbc chose to do what they did, but hey, at least they were consistent!

Last edited by splunge (March 6, 2019 10:42 pm)

March 7, 2019 12:33 am  #26

splunge wrote:

RA, with all respect, you have legitimized my previous post. how much "lower" did they sink??  no matter what cbc radio did, someone will find fault.  ceeb basically treated butts as they did jwr, with no coverage.  Had they played butts in full, anti-cbc audiences would have derided them as pro-liberal and biased.

Sure I don't buy Prod Guy's assertion of network syncing difficulties, because where there's a will there's a way.  but i also doubt the position that it was a political decision.  poor programming choices maybe, or knowing audience preferences.  i dunno why cbc chose to do what they did, but hey, at least they were consistent!

Well, you were right about at least one thing - whatever choice they made would have irked someone. But to reiterate: if this doesn't rate as a subject of national interest, I can't imagine what does.

The next test will come at 8 AM Thursday, when Justin Trudeau addresses the nation. I'm guessing that somehow, despite all their time zone obligations, they'll figure out a way to air it in its entirety. And yes, that too will feed the feeling in some that they shill for the Liberals.

Parenthetically, I was contacted off board by someone who works in radio and never subscribed to the CBC being overly left wing. But he said after their repeated lack of live radio coverage on such an important issue, he no longer feels that way or trusts their reporting is unbiased. One example, perhaps, but it definitely says something about the way they did - or didn't - handle this unfolding mess.

And one more thing. I decided to try to get a comment from the CBC after the testimony ended so I could, in the interest of fairness, post it here. I was going to ask them why they made the decision they did to not cover Butts' statement. But after over half an hour of trying to find a number and actually get a live human being on the phone, I gave up.

Outside of email that never gets answered (I tried that, too) there is simply no way to reach anybody in the radio division unless you have access to their internal phone system, which I don't. Not exactly a great way to be responsive to the very listeners who pay for their existence!

March 7, 2019 1:27 am  #27

RadioActive wrote:

And one more thing. I decided to try to get a comment from the CBC after the testimony ended so I could, in the interest of fairness, post it here. I was going to ask them why they made the decision they did to not cover Butts' statement. But after over half an hour of trying to find a number and actually get a live human being on the phone, I gave up.

Outside of email that never gets answered (I tried that, too) there is simply no way to reach anybody in the radio division unless you have access to their internal phone system, which I don't. Not exactly a great way to be responsive to the very listeners who pay for their existence!

-- RA above comment edited--
Hmm, ya, mostly email addresses via contact info on the website
also, i would think the best place to get answers to your objectively legitimate questions would be the cbc ombudsperson/man/woman.  http://www.ombudsman.cbc.radio-canada.ca/en/ trying to get a live person anywhere these days is useless, but i've had responses from the ombud from my own grumpy old man complaints.  couldn't hurt and i'd be interested in the result.
If you do contact the ombud, it might be interesting as an aside to ask how radio 1 handled the duffy/senate scandal hearings as well.  or even the sponsorship scandal.  precedent or trend?

March 7, 2019 8:22 am  #28

I thought of the Ombudsman, but there's copy on that page that indicates he doesn't answer complaints about programming, so I didn't bother. However if you say you've received feedback from him, then maybe it's worth a try.  Also just for the record, the Trudeau presser has apparently been rescheduled for 7:45 AM now instead of 8.

March 7, 2019 9:03 am  #29

Radio One has confirmed that it will carry the Trudeau speech, interrupting their top of the hour World Report newscast to do it. So they can duck out of their schedule when it suits them. 

March 7, 2019 9:34 am  #30

Some quick reflections on the presser as far as local radio is concerned.(I'm trying hard to stay away from the politics of the thing and just stick to how it was covered.)

-CBC Radio One did take the presser live, but to their shame, cut out of the live Q&A - which in my mind was far more revealing than the speech - about 20 minutes in for analysis. If Matt Galloway had interrupted the press conference one more time during the thing to tell me who and what I was listening to, I might have thrown my radio against the wall. 

-680 News broke format to take the speech, although they didn't stay for the Q&A.

-I was somewhat surprised to brush by CJBC, the CBC's French network, to hear they left right after the speech and didn't carry the reporter scrum afterwards at all. 

-Both CFRB and CFMJ took the whole thing, to their credit, especially considering the number of people heading to work in their cars who couldn't get it any other way.

-And finally, just for the record, CKNT didn't interrupt programming to take the speech. As Justin might say in French, "quelle surprise!"