sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2019 5:47 pm  #1

Would You Want Your Teen To Get Sex Ed From The CBC?

The CBC issued a media release on Tuesday, indicating it's planning to vastly expand its kids programming. There's a host of new shows aimed at children, tweens and teenagers. (How many teens actually watch the CBC these days?) There are several scripted series and there's one that's bound to cause some controversy, given what's going on in Ontario schools. 

It's a show called "Let's Talk About Sex," (could the theme song be a George Michael tune?) and according to the release, "[it] will provide tweens with age-appropriate information on healthy sexuality. It will premiere as the first original factual series for kids on CBC Gem in 2020."

I can only wonder what kind of blowback it's going to get, considering what's happening in this province. Would you want the CBC to try to educate your kids on this topic? What exactly does "age appropriate" mean in this case? And how explicit will they get? Is this something the CBC should be doing?

I don't want this to get political, given what's already taken place on this board over the past few days, but I have a feeling there will be some parents who won't be happy no matter what the Corporation does.

CBC Doubles Down On Kids Programming

February 12, 2019 6:26 pm  #2

Re: Would You Want Your Teen To Get Sex Ed From The CBC?

Remember Sex With Sue?  Started as as a live call-in show on Q-107 and then branched out into a TV show.  It was factual, straight-forward and popular, because it wasn't judgmental and wasn't pushing any kind of moral agenda.  Sue was just there to impart information that the audience wanted.

February 12, 2019 6:30 pm  #3

"Let's Talk About Sex" was Salt -N-Pepa. George Michael was 'I Want your Sex'.

As with all things sexy-related, those most offended will be those furthest from it. The regular Corpse audience will likely be fine with it. The Premier's Office, Rebel Media, Toastmedia and talk radio Incels will rattle their sabres in protest.

Last edited by Chrisphen (February 12, 2019 6:30 pm)

February 12, 2019 6:31 pm  #4

Chrisphen wrote:

"Let's Talk About Sex" was Salt -N-Pepa. George Michael was 'I Want your Sex'.

You're right. I always confuse those titles!

February 12, 2019 7:47 pm  #5

February 12, 2019 9:32 pm  #6

sex with sue was always an interesting listen... she also did one or two cameos on the original degrassi
point taken though, a different political and moral climate.  cbc may have a good idea but it will be hard to execute.

i also remember 'street cents" as a must watch....

February 13, 2019 12:17 am  #7

This is supposed to be an adaptation of a French-language series from Quebec. Those interested in getting mad could go and consult that version to get a head's up.

Personally, they can promote otakukin as a legitimate gender identity and I wouldn't care less. This is exclusive to a CBC streaming app. If they weren't getting tax dollars, it wouldn't exist because the viewership will be microscopic. 

February 14, 2019 9:31 pm  #8

I don't believe anything I hear on the CBC so why would sex ed be any different.

February 14, 2019 10:27 pm  #9

@ retaw... "This is exclusive to a CBC streaming app. If they weren't getting tax dollars, it wouldn't exist because the viewership will be microscopic. "

Isn't that kinda the point of what is happening online now?  viewership has splintered so much that even a few thousand hits can equate... or be spun.... at success.  you gotta try before you can evaluate win/lose. just ask musique plus.