sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2019 11:07 am  #1

WGR-AM Soaring In Key Buffalo Radio Demos

Buffalo is a sports-crazy town, which can be surprising considering they never actually win anything. But the ratings suggest that WGR-AM is doing something right, with surging numbers in all the right demos. And they're doing it in the face of several competitors, including WWKB (same owner) and WHLD, the Cumulus station out of Niagara Falls at 1270. Not to mention that The Fan 590 from Toronto also comes in pretty well across the border.   

I have to admit I haven't listened to 'GR much since they abandoned talk all those years ago. But it's sometimes fun to tune in when Buffalo loses yet another key game, and hear the fans whining about firing the coach or demanding that key players immediately be traded. (Sounds like an episode of Jays Talk, so maybe I shouldn't be so smug!) 

Anyway, here's a look at what's becoming a ratings success in the Queen City. 

All-sports station WGR is on a ratings roll in key demographic   

February 6, 2019 12:39 pm  #2

Re: WGR-AM Soaring In Key Buffalo Radio Demos

According to stationratings.com, GR is doing exceedingly well against its sports competition. In the fall 2018 ratings, the station posted a 6.6 share compared to 0.5 for KB and 0.1 for WHLD. That 6.6 share also places GR fourth overall behind WBEN [8.3] WYRK [10.7] and WBLK [11.0] A few other notes about the Buffalo market. It appears WNED/WBFO have begun a subscription to Arbitron as their ratings are now published. WBFOwas tied for 9th with WEDG at 3.8. WNED registered a 2.1 just behind #13 WECK at 2.3. A few other numbers. WHTT 6.1. WGRF & WTSS 5.5 WKSE 4.6 WMSX 3.7  WBUF 2.4

February 6, 2019 12:55 pm  #3

Don't much care for the sports radio thing, but I am amazed on how well their 5KW signal gets out! Same can be said for CKWW 580 Windsor with 500 watts.

February 6, 2019 2:52 pm  #4

I still say when News broke out, WGR broke in.
The whole picture would look very different if WGR was never sold and there could be more competition among radio stations in Buffalo today.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 12, 2019 9:11 pm  #5

darcyh wrote:

Don't much care for the sports radio thing, but I am amazed on how well their 5KW signal gets out! Same can be said for CKWW 580 Windsor with 500 watts.

CBK 580 Watrous, SK is listenable from Thunder Bay and all the way to Calgary, north to PA and south to Iowa.

Just set my dad up with WGR and a proxy so he can get his Bills fix.  Rogers carries WBEN and WBFO but it would be nice if 550 and 930 were available on cable rather than another rebranded CTV Widget Channel or Stingray Franco-K-Pop.

September 12, 2019 10:40 pm  #6

Nothing beats a sal capaccio victory monday

September 12, 2019 11:07 pm  #7

Haven't listened to WGR since the days of Stan Roberts, Larry Anderson and Frank Benny:

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/wgr-composite.mp3

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram