sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 2, 2019 8:00 am  #1

Here is too a little station that not only could, it can!

What are the 3 key factors in a radio stations success? Well, to borrow and bend the phrase used in describing a businesses success...it is all based on local, local, local!

Here is a cool example of how a small town radio station near Kingston is pulling in listeners... 

https://www.tvo.org/article/current-affairs/-the-spirit-of-local-radio-how-one-tiny-ontario-station-keeps-listeners-tuning-in

What is your favourite "little station that could" story? 

Mine was Jazz FM before the staff and legal crisis hit...I thought they did a fabulous job with doing live to air concerts, supporting local musicians, music artists, youth music initiatives and also having some pretty good content each day...

But what is your fave little station that does good radio with very little resources?

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (February 2, 2019 10:51 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 2, 2019 8:41 am  #2

Re: Here is too a little station that not only could, it can!

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

February 2, 2019 10:12 am  #3

I have two stations for you that I listen to on line. Rewind 94.3 in Munroe, Mi. is run by Munroe Access Cable Television. mpactstudio.org with a link to the station. The station has some specialty programming hi-lited on their webpage. The remainder of the day, they are a giant juke box playing "Classic Hits, Classic Rock, and Everything in Between" No Commercials, no traffic, no sports, very little news. the occasional PSA. Their playlist covers early/mid 60's to early/mid 90's. First time I have ever heard Green Day and the Grassroots back to back. Station has polished professional sounding ID's but their 49 watt [78 erp] doesn't even reach Toledo, which is only 25 miles away.            The second station I enjoy is KOZT in Ft. Bragg, Ca. [kozt.com]  While they are a commercial station [35,000 watts] serving Mendocino county, the station has an extremely local feel to it. The majority of the ads are for local business. Their newscasts all deal with Mendocino County, with the exception of the odd item of national interest. Sports scores given only for SF area teams. The music is somewhat of a progressive rock format played in three song sets with only one commercial between sets. Jocks are mostly retired from the big FMer's from LA and SF. They are given ample time to chat about the music being played or things happening in the community. Here is a sample of some the artists I have heard on the station. The Ridles, Tedeschi Truck Band, Joy Of Cooking, Jesse Winchester, Santana[Leave Me Alone] Electric Flag, Taj Mahal, Subdudes, Hendrix[Georgia Blues] Jethro Tull[Serenade To A Sucker] Enjoy!

February 2, 2019 11:46 am  #4

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

what is your fave little station that does good radio with very little resources?  

CKNX 920 AM:
 - with a moo-moo here and a moo-moo there
 - and oink-oink here and an oink-oink there
 - a quack-quack here and a quack-quack there
 - a neigh-neigh here and a neigh-neigh there
 - a baa-baa here and a baa-baa there
 - a cluck-cluck here and a cluck-cluck there
 - everywhere a cluck-cluck

E-I-E-I-O

February 2, 2019 7:01 pm  #5

mace wrote:

I have two stations for you that I listen to on line. Rewind 94.3 in Munroe, Mi. is run by Munroe Access Cable Television. mpactstudio.org with a link to the station. The station has some specialty programming hi-lited on their webpage. The remainder of the day, they are a giant juke box playing "Classic Hits, Classic Rock, and Everything in Between" No Commercials, no traffic, no sports, very little news. the occasional PSA. Their playlist covers early/mid 60's to early/mid 90's. First time I have ever heard Green Day and the Grassroots back to back. Station has polished professional sounding ID's but their 49 watt [78 erp] doesn't even reach Toledo, which is only 25 miles away.            The second station I enjoy is KOZT in Ft. Bragg, Ca. [kozt.com]  While they are a commercial station [35,000 watts] serving Mendocino county, the station has an extremely local feel to it. The majority of the ads are for local business. Their newscasts all deal with Mendocino County, with the exception of the odd item of national interest. Sports scores given only for SF area teams. The music is somewhat of a progressive rock format played in three song sets with only one commercial between sets. Jocks are mostly retired from the big FMer's from LA and SF. They are given ample time to chat about the music being played or things happening in the community. Here is a sample of some the artists I have heard on the station. The Ridles, Tedeschi Truck Band, Joy Of Cooking, Jesse Winchester, Santana[Leave Me Alone] Electric Flag, Taj Mahal, Subdudes, Hendrix[Georgia Blues] Jethro Tull[Serenade To A Sucker] Enjoy!

I used to listen to KOZT FM online around 2003. Good station. Their owner Tom Yates was at a number of major market stations such as KSAN and KLOS before he started this station in the early 1990's. Their playlist skews somewhat roots and Americana like KPIG FM  from Santa Cruz but I would say that KPIG has a wider format but unfortunately they have been on a fee system for streaming for a number of years.

There are a few commercial stations left in smaller markets that are like remnants of the old free form format. KOZT and KPIG are two but there are more.  The best station I remember listening to on the internet was WRNR FM out of Baltimore around 1997-99. These days they are a more typical and much narrower formatted  triple A.

One problem is finding the time to listen and also the inferior internet streaming feeds. Would be nice to have such options in the car for free and on a high quality terrestrial signal.

Last edited by Fitz (February 2, 2019 7:04 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 2, 2019 8:35 pm  #6

Kman! Thanks for posting that video link, I just watched it and it was fabulous...CFNY was my go to station growing up...

Cheers man!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...