sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2015 12:08 am  #1

Aboriginal Voices Radio Update.

In a decision released August 21st. 2015, The Federal Court of Appeal granted leave to appeal to Aboriginal Voices Radio.  

This means that the decision CRTC-2015-282 revoking the broadcasting licenses for the stations has been stayed pending the final determination on appeal.

According to the court, the licences shall remain in effect, subject to strict compliance to all the requirements and conditions outlined therein until the final determination of the appeal.

[The Decision]

I would suspect there will be another hearing scheduled at sometime in the future, which I also imagine the original CRTC panelists will be expected to recuse themselves from.  

This is a precedent setting and very interesting development.  

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 25, 2015 2:22 am  #2

Re: Aboriginal Voices Radio Update.

Yet Rogers doesn't see it of any importance for the Digital box. (Toronto)
CKAV is now gone from there. 
Too bad too, because it was good for them to get noticed anywhere possible.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 26, 2015 1:42 pm  #3

While the CRTC has acknowledged the court decision, it doesn't appear to mean they're taking it lying down. On Wednesday, the commission issued a call for applications for radio outlets to service "Aboriginal communities" in Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver - the same cities that CKAV was licenced to serve.

It looks like they may be laying the groundwork for some quick decisions to be made in the event that CKAV screws things up in the future and the licence gets yanked for good. Frankly, I've never seen anything quite like this - the CRTC asking for applications for a replacement station before the existing ones are even gone. 

As Lewis Carroll noted in Alice In Wonderland, this thing just gets "curiouser and curiouser."

CRTC Call For Aboriginal Station Applications 

Last edited by RadioActive (August 26, 2015 1:43 pm)

August 26, 2015 5:42 pm  #4

Excellent choice of music; not too hard, not too soft and zero commercials is refreshing     
D. Andrews an excellent radio personality who never should have been dusted by AM-740
But (and I hope this isn't too pointed a question) WHO IS PAYING THE ELECTRICITY BILL?

me    

August 27, 2015 4:41 am  #5

Nice to see the CRTC finally growing a pair in dealing with recent issues of non compliance instead of simpy letting those not following the rules to continue operating while berating others for the slightes infractions of the "rules."

August 29, 2015 1:30 am  #6

Interesting. Is the motion AVR made to the Federal Court and/or the supporting affadavit available online anywhere? 

April 2, 2016 8:50 pm  #7

What's the current legal situation? Did they win their appeal? 

April 3, 2016 2:16 am  #8

Hansa wrote:

What's the current legal situation? Did they win their appeal? 

Looks like not yet (as of Feb. 2016)
Anyone know if anything  has changed from two months ago?

https://ceo.ca/@newswire/crtc-receives-12-applications-for-radio-stations-serving-urban-indigenous-communities 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.