sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2019 7:30 pm  #1

CTV YOUR MORNING’s Anne-Marie Mediwake hosts for Bell Let's Talk Day

I know Bell gets slammed on here big time, but one thing they do right is the Bell Let's Talk Day, that supports mental health and showcases key and very notable Canadian's who struggle or have struggled with Mental Health issues...

On the 30th at 7 pm, CTV's Your Morning host Anne-Marie Mediwake, hosts an informative look at who has been affected by depression, suicide, bi-polar, and many other mental health issues that directly or indirectly affect us all.

Here is the media release about the day's coverage to financially support Mental Health research and help in Canada...

https://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/ctv-your-morning-host-anne-marie-mediwake-elevates-canadas-conversation-about-mental-health-with-in-their-own-words-a-bell-lets-talk-day-special-january-30-on-ctv/

I like the genesis of how this started...TSN's Michael Landesberg did a ton of work in launching Bell Let's Talk Day in the media and used his background as a "sports" guy to highlight how mental health (depression) affect some of our fave athletes. He featured Clara Hughes, Daryl Strawberry, and talked openly about the suicide of former Leaf, Wade Belak...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 18, 2019 11:41 pm  #2

Re: CTV YOUR MORNING’s Anne-Marie Mediwake hosts for Bell Let's Talk Day

i've spoken to people who have dealt with bell when it comes to "mental health" issues. based on what i'm hearing (from these different people talking about different situations) i'm coming to the conclusion that bell doesn't practice what it preaches. to quote elvis costello: "lip service is all you'll ever get from me".

January 19, 2019 1:01 pm  #3

My mental health suffers every time I open my phone-internet bill.

January 19, 2019 8:06 pm  #4

My problem with Bell Let's Talk Day is that it's never, ever ever referred to without the word "Bell" in the title.

While the effort is commendable overall, the fact that they have to work both their name and their logo (for TV stories) into the thing cheapens it significantly for me. It leads me to believe it's not so much about mental health but material wealth. Which is something that's always been a lot more Bell's style. If it was just called "Let's Talk Day" instead of constantly having to let us know who's behind it and the corporate shilling it implies, it would be a lot more convincing - at least to me. 

Rogers is no better. Its annual Halloween "Pumpkin Patrol" is always referenced on air as "The Rogers Pumpkin Patrol." Not every good deed has to be about advertising what swell guys these otherwise odious companies are.