sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2018 12:50 am  #1

CBC launches streaming service GEM

https://watch.cbc.ca/

Last edited by cash (December 18, 2018 12:55 am)

December 18, 2018 9:43 am  #2

Re: CBC launches streaming service GEM

• $4.99 extra per month to watch CBC Newsworld? People are willing to pay that??
  • You also get on demand episodes ad free, but still...
  • Watch on Demand episodes, ad-free
  • Stream CBC News Network live 24/7

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 18, 2018 11:18 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 18, 2018 10:50 am  #3

No thanks, I'll pass....  I fell that "we" already pay enough for CBC programming and service.
(just my opinion... )

December 18, 2018 2:11 pm  #4

Glen Warren wrote:

No thanks, I'll pass....  I fell that "we" already pay enough for CBC programming and service.
(just my opinion... )

An opinion that is shared.

December 18, 2018 3:03 pm  #5

Seems to only be a change in name only.  Still the same look as the watch.cbc.ca. 

Any chance anyone out there has been successful in grabbing password-protected from the site with youtube-dl?  It used to work on everything but now it doesn't work on some of the content that requires login.  PM me if you can.   (I'm not pirating, it's just a lot more convenient than watching on-line for my wife who is a Murdoch Mysteries fan.)

But charging $4.99 just to watch newsworld?  You'll have to do better than that.  Sorry, but since CBC is publicly funded (for the most part) it seems to make sense that access should be free. 

December 18, 2018 8:56 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

• $4.99 extra per month to watch CBC Newsworld? People are willing to pay that??
  • You also get on demand episodes ad free, but still...
  • Watch on Demand episodes, ad-free
  • Stream CBC News Network live 24/7

This should be free especially if you have cable. 

December 18, 2018 9:39 pm  #7

ok but the thing is cbc news network isn't free. crtc says cbcnn has mandatory distribution rights.  about 20 cents per month per subscriber.  this is an attempt by cbc to appeal to cord cutters.  tsn offers the same type of on-line only access to its content. it does make sense to charge for this service. (and yes, the tsn service is free for those with cable subs.... should be the same for cbc)

in terms of the main network entertainment content, i agree that paying a premium for gov't funded material is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by splunge (December 18, 2018 9:40 pm)

December 18, 2018 10:45 pm  #8

splunge wrote:

ok but the thing is cbc news network isn't free. crtc says cbcnn has mandatory distribution rights.  about 20 cents per month per subscriber.  this is an attempt by cbc to appeal to cord cutters.  tsn offers the same type of on-line only access to its content. it does make sense to charge for this service. (and yes, the tsn service is free for those with cable subs.... should be the same for cbc)

in terms of the main network entertainment content, i agree that paying a premium for gov't funded material is a bit of a stretch.

I get TSN Go and Sportsnet Now with my cable subscription. 

December 18, 2018 10:48 pm  #9

@cash, yes, as i mentioned, i do too.  point is, cbcnn should work the same way.

December 18, 2018 11:38 pm  #10

It takes a mere two seconds to google "watch CBC Newsworld for free"

Here is one of many possible results: http://www.livenewschat.eu/canada/
(but does quality matter? SD? HD?)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 19, 2018 12:08 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

It takes a mere two seconds to google "watch CBC Newsworld for free"

Here is one of many possible results: http://www.livenewschat.eu/canada/
(but does quality matter? SD? HD?)

I have to ask - is that "legal?"

December 22, 2018 12:50 pm  #12

Peter the K wrote:

Sorry, but since CBC is publicly funded (for the most part) it seems to make sense that access should be free. 

CBC News Network isn't funded by tax dollars, and it hasn't been called Newsworld in about 9 years.

December 22, 2018 9:54 pm  #13

Prod Guy wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Sorry, but since CBC is publicly funded (for the most part) it seems to make sense that access should be free. 

CBC News Network isn't funded by tax dollars, and it hasn't been called Newsworld in about 9 years.

Technically, that's true. In reality, that's highly disingenuous. News Network recycles main CBC programming, with its infrastructure having no real difference from the mother ship. CBC News Net's newscasts are shot in the same building as CBC's. It heavily benefits from tax dollars, just not directly.

December 23, 2018 2:20 am  #14

Retaw wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Peter the K wrote:

Technically, that's true. In reality, that's highly disingenuous. News Network recycles main CBC programming, with its infrastructure having no real difference from the mother ship. CBC News Net's newscasts are shot in the same building as CBC's. It heavily benefits from tax dollars, just not directly.

I suppose. But the shows that air on the main network and News Network are on Gem. The shows that aren't on the main network aren't on Gem from what I can see.