sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 4, 2018 9:52 am  #1

Blue Jays Back On Free TV?

I've been trying to read between the lines of a recent announcement by Rogers that its OMNI 2 will begin carrying Blue Jays games every Saturday in Tagalog, the primary language spoken by people from the Philippines. If that includes its over-the-air station in Toronto, it would put the Jays back on free TV for the first time in years. 

Sportsnet will continue to have the games in English, but cord cutters or never-cables would be able to tune in, listen to the game on the radio and - despite the satellite delay - basically watch the entire thing. The press release states that the games will air on OMNI 2, OMNI Regional, OMNI Alberta and OMNI B.C. Whether that means just the cable feeds or if it will also include the over-the-air station remains to be seen. 

And so does the actual start date. We're already in June, but they've yet to confirm just when this actually starts, other than sometime this season. And they'd better hurry. The way the Jays have been playing this year so far, there may not be that much interest in watching them lose game after game after game. In any language.

OMNI Television Brings the Blue Jays to Canadians in its First-Ever Baseball Third-Language Broadcast

June 4, 2018 10:02 pm  #2

Re: Blue Jays Back On Free TV?

I can't imagine Rogers is going to go through the effort of doing a different feed for OTA. I'm pretty sure I've seen HNIC on Omni 2 OTA before.

Last edited by Retaw (June 4, 2018 10:02 pm)

June 5, 2018 12:42 am  #3

Re: Blue Jays Back On Free TV?

Retaw wrote:

I can't imagine Rogers is going to go through the effort of doing a different feed for OTA. I'm pretty sure I've seen HNIC on Omni 2 OTA before.

I think Rogers already has this all figured out.
Most likely a deliberate boost in the delay between what people hear on the radio (in English) and what they actually see on television. 
If I'm wrong, then it's also only Saturday games, which is hardly a full season of enjoyment.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.