sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2018 12:05 pm  #1

Billboard's Hot 100 All Time Songs Chart An Eclectic List

I can say one thing for Billboard's list of The Greatest Hot 100 Songs of All time - it certainly has variety.

From Chubby Checker and Bobby Darin to Flo Rida and Adele, they encompass almost every genre and flavour of the rock era. It's apparently based on sales, airplay and streaming, but the Beatles only appear twice and only once in the Top 10. (And how can the Four Tops version of "All In The Game" possibly be at #44 or even in the chart itself?)

I'm not sure I buy this list but Billboard has always been considered the Bible of pop music, at least when it comes to their charts. You can judge for yourself here.

May 30, 2018 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Billboard's Hot 100 All Time Songs Chart An Eclectic List

WHAT??? The Archies Sugar Sugar is only @ 78?? I was expecting it to be a top 40 song!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 30, 2018 12:39 pm  #3

according to the "how it works" tab this is supposed to be based on radio data + sales data + streaming data but I don't know the list is suspect. I love the early Steve Miller Band - stuff that were played mainly on "underground FM" pre mega success but could understand if  some of his big hits like Fly Like an Eagle or The Joker made the list but his Abracadabra ?

Last edited by Fitz (May 30, 2018 12:50 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 30, 2018 6:54 pm  #4

For sure. It's clickbait; controversial picks intentionally sprinkled throughout. 

May 30, 2018 7:35 pm  #5

Irvine wrote:

My guess is the "accuracy" of this list runs about the same level as the accuracy of the Numeris Diary System from a guy listening to a Kenwood portable radio he bought at Radio Shack.   #None. 

This Kenwood R-5000 (probably not sold at Radio Shack) would be able to pull in #12 on the list (Bruno Mars) on 1050-CHUM... if CHUM hadn't dropped Top 40 in 1986.

May 30, 2018 9:21 pm  #6

Parts of the list almost seem like a joke. Obladi Oblada would have probably been rated the top Beatles track had it originally been released as a single..

Surprising because through the years Billboard had been a useful resource I used to pick up the odd issue and remember calling the "music department" of CHUM FM in the 1970's and speaking to Benjy Karch a few times to ask for the chart progress of certain records. I called about one record  two weeks in a row and he quipped "do you have stock in the thing." Always gracious but they might have thought the kid is nuts.

Joel Whitburn's books on the hot 100 were great as were the Hot 100 singles and 200 albums charts.

In an earlier internet age I used to play Fred Bronson's weekly trivia on their web site. He usually had a tough question that was generally search engine proof. I was not the only local to play that game. You might recognize the third last name on the third scan. Never noticed that till today.

Last edited by Fitz (May 30, 2018 9:23 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 30, 2018 11:39 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

(And how can the Four Tops version of "All In The Game" possibly be at #44 or even in the chart itself?)

Almost certainly a case of them putting in the wrong artist name, especially since Tommy Edwards' version could certainly qualify for that kind of ranking.

May 31, 2018 12:05 am  #8

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

(And how can the Four Tops version of "All In The Game" possibly be at #44 or even in the chart itself?)

Almost certainly a case of them putting in the wrong artist name, especially since Tommy Edwards' version could certainly qualify for that kind of ranking.

A song actually co-written by a vice president of the USA. A bit of trivia I picked up listening to Dick Bartley's Solid Gold Saturday Night and you are right about the type of mistake since you get an error if you click on the Four Tops at that position but Tommy Edwards song was number one for six weeks.

Last edited by Fitz (May 31, 2018 6:51 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 31, 2018 10:34 am  #9

Fitz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

A song actually co-written by a vice president of the USA. A bit of trivia I picked up listening to Dick Bartley's Solid Gold Saturday Night and you are right about the type of mistake since you get an error if you click on the Four Tops at that position but Tommy Edwards song was number one for six weeks.

Here's a bit more trivia on the Edwards' hit. Make that 'hits,' because it charted twice -- 1951 and 1958.
On both occasions, the label (MGM) and the orchestra leader (Leroy Holmes), in addition to the Edwards vocals, were the same. First time around, it reached number 18.

[Edit] - It should be noted that the arrangements differed, since music was well into the "modern pop era" the second time around.

Last edited by mike marshall (May 31, 2018 10:52 am)

May 31, 2018 11:31 am  #10

Fitz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Yes, I noticed the broken link as well. Really careless on their part all the way around ... I would have let them know, but didn't readily see a way of doing so. Can only guess that someone may have selected the Four Tops from a database of charted songs because they were a bigger name. But here's a link to Edwards' Hot 100 chart history which was impressive enough in its own right (and mike marshall has added some more good info about him).
https://www.billboard.com/music/tommy-edwards/chart-history/hot-100/

June 1, 2018 8:54 am  #11

Lorne wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Yes, I noticed the broken link as well. Really careless on their part all the way around ... I would have let them know, but didn't readily see a way of doing so. Can only guess that someone may have selected the Four Tops from a database of charted songs because they were a bigger name. But here's a link to Edwards' Hot 100 chart history which was impressive enough in its own right (and mike marshall has added some more good info about him).
https://www.billboard.com/music/tommy-edwards/chart-history/hot-100/

There is a not obvious"Feedback" form at the end of the first linked page. Give it a shot and hopefully they will correct.

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 1, 2018 9:40 am  #12

Fitz wrote:

There is a not obvious"Feedback" form at the end of the first linked page. Give it a shot and hopefully they will correct.

Well done ... that's exactly the kind of thing I had looked for. When I couldn't readily find anything, it made me feel like there wasn't much point in trying to contact them ... I know from past experience that some companies just don't care about correcting wrong info. However, submitting a correction is actually one of the options for filling out this form, so I just used it to do so. Thanks very much.