sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2018 7:41 pm  #1

It's a wrap for Psychedelic Sunday!

I took this from Q-107's website...but I feel it is worth sending the best to Andy Frost...as tomorrow is the final PS show!

"Sunday May 27th is the legendary Andy Frost’s final show on Q107 as well as the finale of Psychedelic Sunday.
Psychedelic Sunday has become a staple to rock lovers across Southern Ontario and beyond – with Andy becoming an iconic voice for an iconic genre of music.We want to let Andy know how much he’s meant to the city and to this station.Use the hashtag #ThankYouAndy on social media, or leave a message for Andy at 416-479-7092."

The show has been on for years and Andy has had a great career in a changing medium.

What used to be psychedelic songs in the early days, would probably be airing on a "Music of your Life" format if it was still around.

I know, that when I am 75-80...I hope to be rocking it to AC-DC or the Who...I just hope I don't put out a hip doing so!

Here is more about tomorrow's last show on the "Q" website...

https://q107.com/show/psychedelic-sunday/

Good luck Andy! Continued success!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 27, 2018 6:06 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 26, 2018 8:09 pm  #2

Re: It's a wrap for Psychedelic Sunday!

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, listening to Q and Andy.

To get to have a farewell show is something few radio people get a chance to do. Thanks for the heads up M.Joe.

All the best to you Mr.Frost.

Last edited by betaylored (May 26, 2018 8:11 pm)

May 26, 2018 8:24 pm  #3

With respect, it’s about time they fired him. Such an outdated geyser. Radio has passed his no progressive talent hack. Sorry. It’s a fact. Radio has changed and he refused to go along. Bye.

May 26, 2018 8:35 pm  #4

Won't be able to listen but hoping he'll play the 1967 smash-aroo "Jouney to the Center of the Mind" by the Amboy Dukes -- and "Psychotic  Reaction" another 60's chart buster from Count Five. Playing both of them over & over in my head right now.  Humming them & occasionally busting out into some lyrics too.

Sounds fucking awful

Good luck and good night Mr. Frost

May 26, 2018 10:14 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

With respect, it’s about time they fired him. Such an outdated geyser. Radio has passed his no progressive talent hack. Sorry. It’s a fact. Radio has changed and he refused to go along. Bye.

That's quite rich calling a guy who's been gainfully employed & entertaining folks for decades a talentless hack.  

Your cynical, jealous, bitter, "oh, aren't I so edgy" blather got real old, real quick.

Let us know when you get a real job so we can provide you with some much needed critique.

Cheers to Mr. Frost for a job well done.

May 26, 2018 10:43 pm  #6

Psych Sunday shone in many ways ... some of the music Frost played was outside the usual playlist mentality - he knows how to mix that kind of stuff in. He has a voice that nicely combines 'broadcasting school' with personal and engaging. He made the show feel somewhat like a special event.

Some people have broadcast careers that transmit positivity. Others excel at spitting on graves.

May 26, 2018 10:55 pm  #7

g121 wrote:

cGrant wrote:

That's quite rich calling a guy who's been gainfully employed & entertaining folks for decades a talentless hack.  

Your cynical, jealous, bitter, "oh, aren't I so edgy" blather got real old, real quick.

Let us know when you get a real job so we can provide you with some much needed critique.

Cheers to Mr. Frost for a job well done.

You're right. It takes a LOT of talent to play the same 25 songs from the same period over and over. My bad. Zzzzzzz... seriously. C'mon. The REAL talent is keeping up with the times and adapting to ever-changing new playlists. They did him a favour. Like shooting an aged horse out of his misery. Let's be blunt. He could not alter his voice to do other "characters". We was comfortable. Admit it. A stable job, kept out of some semblance of history. But, in the end, the Leaf's were tired of his onenote act and now, so was Corus. I apologize for being blunt, but if you actually admit it instead of trolling my every word, you'll agree. If I am wrong, he'd still have a job. Blissfully, new management is clear-cutting the dead wood and moving on.

May 27, 2018 7:47 am  #8

I have put together a Psychedelic Sunday compilation. My daughter could care less but perhaps over time she may appreciate why some do. Just as I now understand why there was once a "music of your life" format on the radio.

Psychedelic Sunday Comp 

Last edited by Fitz (May 27, 2018 7:48 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

May 27, 2018 7:50 am  #9

Most of the content on the comp is new to the site.

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 27, 2018 11:02 am  #10

Your a good man Andy Frost.  cGrant is apparently a poor man's Ziggy; if indeed he is not the same person.  You can tell that if cGrant is in the business he is young and has been doing it for a short time.  If cGrant stays with Broadcasting we may see a very different post one day.  I will admit there was a time; when I was wishing the over 40's would disappear.  
Then like Magic you become over 40.  Things then seem different.  Just an observation.

May 27, 2018 2:33 pm  #11

2pm I've had the show on, looking forward to hearing what the last album side would be for the Sideshow. Apparently it's now an interactive Sideshow. They just should have changed the name. Because it's not the landmark feature, just a bunch of listener requests.

An interactive Sideshow... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (and not the Genesis kind) Andy, I'm enjoying your last show, but man, I think you're getting out just in time.

May 27, 2018 3:00 pm  #12

betaylored wrote:

2pm I've had the show on, looking forward to hearing what the last album side would be for the Sideshow. Apparently it's now an interactive Sideshow. They just should have changed the name. Because it's not the landmark feature, just a bunch of listener requests.

An interactive Sideshow... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot (and not the Genesis kind) Andy, I'm enjoying your last show, but man, I think you're getting out just in time.

Has not been an actual album side for a while now I think. Usually a theme and I think it's requests today as a thank you to 33 years of listening. Not always with Andy but he held down the host spot for the longest and I don't think there's many shows from the rock era that can beat that for longevity. Nothing to sneeze at. Paul Morris would be proud !

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 27, 2018 5:12 pm  #13

I am tuned in to Q107 online and am liking the music and how Andy is doing his show today...I don't think he's out of date at all, he is doing his thing and not letting ego or personality be the focal point of the show, he is putting the listener first, with a great mix of music and some tickets to see the Monkees...

It is perfect in my books...

Job well done Andy!

May 27, 2018 9:04 pm  #14

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

some tickets to see the Monkees.

Q107? "The Monkees"?! Seriously? The Monkees are "classic rock"? R.I.P. to the Q.

May 27, 2018 9:11 pm  #15

cGrant wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Q107? "The Monkees"?! Seriously? The Monkees are "classic rock"? R.I.P. to the Q.

It is a freakin' contest,. easy up cGrant...they need to promote this and Q107 is a bit of a throwback, nostalgia format station...but ease up! Wow...it is not necessary to pick everything apart and need to be right about what people post on here...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 27, 2018 9:12 pm)

May 27, 2018 9:33 pm  #16

Nice.little tribute in the Toronto Star, which so rarely does anything about radio:

Toronto radio station Q107’s Psychedelic Sunday signs off, and it’s a bummer for loyal listeners, man

Perhaps the most interesting part of the article is this sentence:

"Sunday’s show was the genial Frost’s last, as Q107 pursues a corporate plan to expand from its Baby Boomer base towards a more youthful audience." 

If that's true, it sounds like a major rebranding is coming to Q in the near future. 

May 27, 2018 10:00 pm  #17

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

cGrant wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

It is a freakin' contest,. easy up cGrant...they need to promote this and Q107 is a bit of a throwback, nostalgia format station...but ease up! Wow...it is not necessary to pick everything apart and need to be right about what people post on here...

With respect, why don't YOU relax? I simply found the juxtaposition of the history of Q107, it's branding as "classic rock" as odd to sponsor and give out tickets to the Monkees. If you can't see that as strange, that's fine. I suppose I also wouldn't be allowed to "pick apart" if CHFI gave tickets to Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC or some screamo punk band.

Plus, if the Star has it right, "Q107 pursues a corporate plan to expand from its Baby Boomer base towards a more youthful audience." I can totally see a youthful audience going Lady Ga-Ga for the Monkees.

May 27, 2018 10:22 pm  #18

I don't understand why you would take the best show on Toronto radio off the air. Any idea who or what will replace it. 

May 27, 2018 10:50 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

Nice.little tribute in the Toronto Star, which so rarely does anything about radio:

Toronto radio station Q107’s Psychedelic Sunday signs off, and it’s a bummer for loyal listeners, man

Perhaps the most interesting part of the article is this sentence:

"Sunday’s show was the genial Frost’s last, as Q107 pursues a corporate plan to expand from its Baby Boomer base towards a more youthful audience." 

If that's true, it sounds like a major rebranding is coming to Q in the near future. 

"with a voice that sounds like God's cooler brother" was the line from this article that I thought was pretty clever, and accurate too. I also caught the "dazed and confused" wink as well, thanks RA good story, and thanks again for telling us about Andy's last show Muffaraw Joe, I only listen to Q occasionally, and I would have hated to miss it.

The article wasn't kidding about all the tweets. I kept on coming across them all day. Julie Adam tweeted a great tribute, as did a lot of other radio people, many from rival companies, and it's proof in writing of just how much Mr.Frost meant, and still means to radio listeners, and his peers.

Last edited by betaylored (May 27, 2018 11:31 pm)

May 27, 2018 11:50 pm  #20

Snagged a pic of our "aren't I so edgy" SOWNY poster who's blather is less engaging than Ron Popeil "Pocket Fisherman" infomercials.

May 28, 2018 7:07 am  #21

I will admit to becoming a rock snob against the bubblegum of the Monkees and actually putting scratches on my original copy of I'm A Believer around 1972. An antic repated about a year later when I bought the New York Dolls great debut album. The world was not ready for the cover which had the band in drag. Played a prank on a friend and who was very particular about his records. Tore the cover to bits and broke an album by Chad Allan and spread the pieces on the floor when I knew my friend was coming to see his reaction. Still have that NY Dolls album in the Chad Allan cover jacket. I think I won that as part of David Marsden's "brown paper bag."  ( what  stupid things to do).

In Retrospect the Monkees have been redeemed mainly because of a great reissue and remastering by Rhino Records. Plus the reruns of the TV show. Some very hip guests such as the eclectic folkie Tim Buckley and also this appearance by Frank Zappa. Not to mention a number of tracks on their albums which have become well regarded by fans of psychedelia:

Last edited by Fitz (May 28, 2018 8:53 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 28, 2018 12:51 pm  #22

Question for Mr. Grant - is there an ignore function on this board? I searched and could not find one. But I would really, really like one in order to weed out the inane drivel spouted by cGrant.

May 28, 2018 10:27 pm  #23

A lot of the comments on Toronto Mike speak to the fact that Q 107 is now playing Duran Duran and has never done so before . Well today I happened to find a Q 107 chart from 1984 from the Toronto Sun and look at who is at number three:

Last edited by Fitz (May 28, 2018 10:28 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

May 29, 2018 11:26 pm  #24

Fitz wrote:

A lot of the comments on Toronto Mike speak to the fact that Q 107 is now playing Duran Duran and has never done so before . Well today I happened to find a Q 107 chart from 1984 from the Toronto Sun and look at who is at number three:

Let's hear it for 'can con'...coming in here at a whopping 5%.  The 'people' have [had]] spoken.  So what did they do in recognition of REALITY at the crtc 'think' tank?  They upped the numbers.  And 'we' pay their salaries?  Even after all these years?  35% isn't the 'number'...it's our collective I.Q.

By the way...THIS is one of the times when I absolutely do NOT agree with cGrant.  His comtemptable yet weaselly comment regarding Andy is just so typical of this bottom feeder.  His being here precludes my attendance almost constantly.  To have to just ignore him...given his never ending parade of 'putridity' renders the site almost entirely invalid... ... ...A to Z-iggy.

Best wishes Andy.  And...thank you.  Well done.

May 30, 2018 10:12 am  #25

I still have the albums I won from Mr. Frost in 1987.

It was a good show - but demos for it (65 to death, of which I joined a few months ago) do not exactly excite advertisers.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 30, 2018 11:50 am  #26

Dale's post made me think of something (never a good thing, in my case.)

If, in fact, Q107 does decide to contemporize as the Star article seems to imply, that could mean Toronto will become one of the few major markets without a full time oldies station or a classic album rock outlet in the city itself. I don't really consider AM740 an "oldies" station, per se, since there's so much other programming (talk shows, Big Band retrospectives,  conspiracy shows, old time radio etc.)  it can hardly be considered a consistent format.

It seems to me there might be a niche audience there for a station that's doing a 1 or a 2 - or less - and is looking to claim a unique audience. After all, how many stations in one market do you need playing the same Drake record over and over and over and over, no matter where you turn? 

Still, while it speaks to exactly Dale's point - that aging Boomers are out of the prime advertising demos - it also reveals a kind of bizarre irony. Many on this board have noted that some Millennials don't even own a radio, let alone ever listen to one. Boomers, having grown up with a transistor radio glued to their ears and under their pillows (and most definitely not a My Pillow!) at night, are still fairly big consumers on both sides of the dial. 

It seems strange then, that sponsors would not covet this demographic, who - presumably having worked most of their lives - now have a nest egg they can actually spend all that saved cash on. Yet this admittedly dying-off cohort is largely ignored by sales departments everywhere. I'm guessing it's one reason Moses Znaimer's minor fiefdom is making a go of it - he's smart enough to know who those with the money are. (Although I have to admit that, as a Baby Boomer, I have very little money. After all, I worked in Canadian TV and radio all these years, which certainly explains that!) 

Still, I hate to see both those formats go away entirely. I think there's still an audience for them somewhere, if it's done properly.

May 30, 2018 12:03 pm  #27

RadioActive wrote:

Toronto will become one of the few major markets without a full time oldies station

It depends on what you consider "oldies". Look at Boom 97.3's numbers. True, they play 70s, 80s, 90s, but those are oldies, are they not?

Q's issue is they never have done a branding refresh. Yes, they've updated their positioner and toyed with their music catalogue, but for the majority of onlookers, as far as they are concerned, it's still Q107, the station their fathers and grandfathers listened to whilst pretending to fix their car in the garage, but really were toking some good bud. Because of this, it wasn't attracting younger ears, as it's never cool to like what the old folks like.

May 30, 2018 1:56 pm  #28

Sounds like Q is becoming another Boom.

May 30, 2018 4:16 pm  #29

cash wrote:

Sounds like Q is becoming another Boom.

If Toronto didn't already have a boom FM they could do just that, since they already own some Boom FM's in other markets. 
Given that they are already using the Big FM playlist, why not change the name to Big FM and take it from there?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 30, 2018 4:33 pm  #30

Radiowiz wrote:

why not change the name to Big FM and take it from there?

Not sure body-shaming obese people is a good idea. Harvey Brooker R.I.P. Perhaps, "Plus 107" would be better? Although, statistically, many Torontonians are both morbidly obese and walmart shoppers, maybe "PhatAss107".