sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 20, 2018 3:14 pm  #1

Zelda Young

Does anyone listen to the Zelda Young Show which is on CHIN-FM at 9 am? It seems to be a mixture of brokered segments, including some belonging to "medical practitioners" of questionable merit and far right political views.  

Last edited by Hansa (February 21, 2018 7:06 am)

February 20, 2018 3:41 pm  #2

Re: Zelda Young

Ok. So?

She's been doing the show for over 30 years on CHIN.  I thought CHIN basically was entirely brokered anyway.

So basically, she's paying for the time, she can do what she wants.

February 20, 2018 4:28 pm  #3

Peter the K wrote:

Ok. So?
She's been doing the show for over 30 years on CHIN. I thought CHIN basically was entirely brokered anyway.
So basically, she's paying for the time, she can do what she wants.

Somewhere @1236 is laughing but here I go .

With all due respect, that's not true.  There are _many_ who believe that is the case, and my first few months at AM640 was all about making lifetime enemies with a few bartered time hosts who figured whatever funds they could generate to cover the cost of their broadcast should be great.  This tends to be a fight that comes from all sides, from the sales department who can't believe you're telling a client to piss up a rope, to the client and their 'supporters' who are usually quite the vocal minority.  I believe many of these hosts truly believe in the holistic / alternative offerings they put forward on their shows.  Just as strongly as I believe they're glorified horticulturalists selling very dangerous pith.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010427003840/http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2000-11-02/news.html

Nothing makes my blood boil faster than these quacks who quickly find out which shows they can buy airtime on to push their vitamins and oil of oregano shit, selling hope to people who will quickly part with their money (and usually a lot of it) in order to fix what they believe ails them.  

I've never listened to Zelda's show, and have no comments on the quality of her program or her guests, but the second people mention 'medical practitioners' who pay to play, my spidey senses slam into overdrive.    

Generally there are measures in place, mainly CBSC to address these issues, where they fall short though is when the programming is in a language other than English, and especially when discussions occur between polar opposed groups of beliefs.  I feel confident to talk about that part, since 2 (two!) east Indian producers who I used to act as technical producer on for their Weekend morning shows on City were shot dead.  Though no cause was ever officially announced, it was pretty well understood that the 'my god(s) are better than your god(s)' broadcasts were at the heart of it.   One of the strangest calls you'll ever get is 'don't come in to work today, your client was shot dead last night'.  

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/39/1991

http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/missingperson.asp?ID=136

Since the show started a zillion years ago by her father, Sam Yuchtman, and through Zelda's stewardship of it, it's been dragged through the wringer more than once, accused of being 'anti-Arab',   I don't know if she still carries daily newscasts from Arutz Sheva, but they went a long way in igniting issues.   Having said that, I also know of a few Islamic shows which could easily be considered 'anti-Jewish' based on their content.  I wish I could say it all evens out, but it doesn't, and unfortunately never will. 

Having grown up in Scotland in the late 60's and early 70's, where the Irish 'troubles' were the daily news lead, then coming to Canada and being amazed how little it was ever mentioned, it's not difficult to understand why people are so passionately affected by issues in their homeland, eager to ensure that others in their new world know what's taking place, and subsequently accused of 'taking sides' in that reporting.

BTW,  I admire the hell out of her stamina and drive.  Doing an hour a day, and 2 on a weekend is a full time job in itself if done properly, and her list of sponsors seems as respectable as any other brokered show, and believe me, a hell of a lot more respectable than others.  http://www.zeldayoung.com/category/sponsors/

I was approached by a sales person once who wanted to approach Zelda and see if she'd be interested in moving stations.  I shot it down fast, for a few reasons; least of which was not wanting to move an established program to a frequency that was far from stable.  I also knew I wasn't smart, mature, educated, or whatever the correct words are to navigate the political discourse that the show would inevitably bring to the frequency.  Plus I don't believe she would have moved anyway.  It would have been a silly step for all involved. 

When I suggested to Gary Bell he do a weekend show for us, to talk about all the conspiracy theories rolling around in his head, my only caveat to him was 'don't say anything stupid and don't get us sued'   During my time there, he may have done the first, but he didn't do the second, and it was pretty smooth sailing... at least till last year.    Admittedly, there were a few cease and desist orders from the Habsburg dynasty lawyers, but they never left contact information.

It's no secret I host the Ask the Expert shows on NT1010 as well as others, and I've never done a show with a client I didn't believe in.  There have been a couple that I've asked the sales department to find others at the station to represent because I personally wasn't comfortable with the pitch or the product.  Not that it was wrong, just that it felt wrong to me.  And the station, nor sales has ever had an issue with that.  

Anyway, yak away, but please don't let this denigrate into a discussion about the pros and cons of MEMRi, Al-Jazeera, CHIN, The national enquirer or whatever.  

Last edited by ig (February 20, 2018 4:31 pm)

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

February 20, 2018 4:54 pm  #4

ig wrote:

It's no secret I host the Ask the Expert shows on NT1010 as well as others, and I've never done a show with a client I didn't believe in.

No offence and with respect, aren't all the shows you do on NT1010 infomercials? Be they financial, legal or other (sorry, I can't name them as I automatically tune away), they all are shilled.  Again, no offence.  It seems rather incongruous to flog these types of programs. Surely, NT1010 could hire actual hosts to front a real show? Is BellMedia so hard up that they need to resort to such basement-dwelling programming? And, don't think we see through the "experts" that the station gets when needing an "opinion". Whether it's that ferrari-driving employment lawyer, medical doctor or other, it's a shame the medium has come to this.

Again, I am NOT trolling, only presenting an opinion, brought to you by.... absolutely nobody.   

February 20, 2018 5:09 pm  #5

My problem with all of these "Ask the Experts" type of program and yes, infomercials, is the amount of fraud being perpetrated during the broadcasts.
My only experience with this type of "programming" was at CFRA and CKNW. 
Both stations continued to run infomercials from the US which had already been banned in the states and the perpetrators were heavily fined and banned from the airwaves.
And the "Ask the Experts" programs were heavily stocked with calls from employees and friends of the sponsor, posing as regular listeners asking questions or praising the product or service.  CFRA continued to run commercials and an infomercial for one of those stupid gas saver add on thingies for your car that both the EPA and the Canada Research Council had declared worthless.   Just a couple of examples and I'm sure these fraudulent practices still continue.

February 20, 2018 5:28 pm  #6

Mike Cleaver wrote:

My problem with all of these "Ask the Experts" type of program and yes, infomercials, is the amount of fraud being perpetrated during the broadcasts.

It speaks to the credibility of the station. Why should I trust a station that supports shilled snake-oil salesmen, paranormal crap and plain-out scams? You can't be "Ontario's Authoritative Voice" with so-called Breaking News and then sell me outright verbose garbage.

February 20, 2018 5:36 pm  #7

do these stations... NT1010 and others running obviously brokered commercial segments or infomercials, carry a regular liner notifying listeners that "these opinions are solely those of the participants", or, more to the point, "this segment is paid time on behalf of xxx"?

February 20, 2018 5:40 pm  #8

No offence at all, I like what I do and it's a fair question

Anyway, not all of them, but almost.   The logic, to me, is sound.  It's a bit of a firewall role, It keeps the line clear between the 'talk show hosts' on the station, who get paid for their opinions, and 'ask the expert' hosts who get paid to listen to the opinions of others.  I'm completely okay with that.  Mostly because I never truly know what my opinion is, till someone else gives it to me.

NT1010 is really good, and more so recently about running a breaker at the top and bottom of the hours detailing that they are paid shows.  They make sure there's no room for doubt, and that's not including the financial or whatever disclaimers that also run.

https://www.cbsc.ca/paid-spots-voiced-radio-host-sufficiently-distinct-programming-says-canadian-broadcast-standards-council/

I think there used to be more of a stigma to the paid programming stuff, and therefore more of an attempt by some of the stations to cover it up, or just not address it.   Again, going back to some of the dreck snake-oil shite that represented the 'paid programming'.  I've never subscribed to that belief though, for a couple of reasons.  As long as the product is honest and good, there's nothing wrong with buying time to promote it.  Whether it's 30/60/90/120/180 seconds or 45 minutes.  And as long as the station doesn't pass of that show as editorial or opinion.   

For me, it's a win win.  I get to have fun on radio, find out about stuff I had no idea existed (boilers are better than furnaces and flat roofs are better than pitched).  I enjoy being the class clown, have fun with people and making them comfortable in a strange environment, and last but certainly not least, I bring in more $$$ than I cost .  I honestly have never done a show that I felt ashamed of afterward.  I wouldn't do it if I didn't believe in the product or message in the first place.  As I said in the post above, the situation has come up a couple of times, and there's never been any push back to me saying thanks but maybe there's someone else who can do this.

I've also never really aspired to be 'a talk show host'.  The favorite mantra of the talk show consultant is 'pick a topic and stick to it'.  I don't have the attention span to do that,  I can lose track of what I'm talking about in the first 45 seconds of the show.  Half way through the intro I notice it's raining or a bird flies past the window and I'm done.  I'll change my opinion if the first caller on the topic can talk me out of it and I've always believed that first hosts, (by a long long shot), and secondly guests are what make great talk radio, (should have been called listen radio, but anyway..)   that third ingredient, unless you're a brilliant host with a great producer/screener, can sink your show in seconds and your listener has already hit the button to go somewhere else.  I equate callers with the front line at a comedy club.  They don't generally represent the audience behind them, they're aware that by sitting there they're going to be part of a 'show', no matter what that means, and they may end up being cannon fodder if a good bit presents itself.

As a producer, I've worked with some of the best hosts in the industry, on the continent, and I'm amazed by how good they can be.   My strength by a long shot is producing and research, and when I get a tidbit or a newspaper article on something and hand it to the host, and on the fly, they use their own background and experience to make it something great, I'm consistently amazed and impressed.  In the control room I'll sit there listening thinking 'that was a great question' or 'how did he come up with that'.    When 'breaking news' hits, that's when you see who the truly incredible hosts are.  They're the ones who don't skip a beat, and it's like watching a symphony conductor make incredible music. 

For me though, I subscribe to "The best ad-lib is the one written in front of me" school of thought.  

February 20, 2018 5:41 pm  #9

Don't know about others, but @NT1010 they now have liners that run regularly during the show that make it absolutely clear that this is paid programming.  Not just a quick mention in the middle of a financial disclaimer, but a liner on it's own clarifying it..

splunge wrote:

do these stations... NT1010 and others running obviously brokered commercial segments or infomercials, carry a regular liner notifying listeners that "these opinions are solely those of the participants", or, more to the point, "this segment is paid time on behalf of xxx"?

February 20, 2018 5:49 pm  #10

I agree, and you can still hear those shows on other stations.  I may someday eat my words, but CFRB hasn't ever that I know of, and certainly currently doesn't go near them.

When I got to 640 years ago, I tried to get rid of as many as I could while attempting to maintain my job.  The medical ones are absolutely the worst, though (and yes, I'm being a shit) the Worldwide church of god ones aren't far off.   Those are the ones that have truly hurt the paid programming concept.  Originally it was getting the local jeweler in to talk about their store for a bit, or the undertaker to talk about coffins, or whatever.  They were poisoned by these medical shows which judge their success on a per inquiry basis and are just magnets for people running low on hope.  

Kinda the same thing happened with community channels.  They used to be about coin and stamp collecting and the local kids theatre group, but when 'sponsorships' were allowed, it all went to shit.

For some stations though, these shows are the only real means of income, so they get buried on weekend mornings and station management hold their noses knowing that this is what pays their morning and afternoon drive people.  Especially the religious shows.  Though I was no fan of them, I knew that giving up that 11pm hour at night allowed me a budget I wouldn't otherwise have come close to for the rest of the daytime programming.  I can only imagine how much more magnified that is in a smaller market.

Mike Cleaver wrote:

My only experience with this type of "programming" was at CFRA and CKNW. 
Both stations continued to run infomercials from the US which had already been banned in the states and the perpetrators were heavily fined and banned from the airwaves.
And the "Ask the Experts" programs were heavily stocked with calls from employees and friends of the sponsor, posing as regular listeners asking questions or praising the product or service.  CFRA continued to run commercials and an infomercial for one of those stupid gas saver add on thingies for your car that both the EPA and the Canada Research Council had declared worthless.   Just a couple of examples and I'm sure these fraudulent practices still continue.

February 20, 2018 6:24 pm  #11

thanks for the info IG.
I suppose one could say... "well at least there is a warm body in the building" in the event real news happens.

February 20, 2018 6:59 pm  #12

splunge wrote:

thanks for the info IG.
I suppose one could say... "well at least there is a warm body in the building" in the event real news happens.

Seriously? And the audience is supposed to believe the very person that just tried to sell us lotions, potions, precious metals, miracle cures, paranormal crap, etc, etc, etc?! 🤔

February 20, 2018 7:15 pm  #13

Hansa wrote:

Does anyone listen to the Zelda Young Show which is on CHIN-FM at 9 am? It seems to be a mixture of brokered segments, including some belonging to "medical practitioners" of questionable authority and far right political views.  

Funny this would come up. I’ve been thinking about posting something about this show for a very, very long time. But I thought no one besides me ever listened to it and because she does almost the whole thing on her own, it wouldn’t entirely be fair to comment on it.

But since you asked, and with apologies for the length, here comes years of thinking about Ms. Young’s show.

First of all, the fact she’s been able to keep it running all these decades is a testimony to her stamina, so I’ll give her that. And she gets her news from something called “Israel National News,” which is still associated with Arutz Sheva. So that hasn’t changed. And she's so pro-Trump she audibly bristles at anyone who disagrees with him.  

Some of her frequent guests, like the Houseman brothers, Pulitzer Prize winner Edwin Black and former CIA operative Clare Lopez are all very well informed on Middle East issues and they’re the primary reason I tune in. The show is decidedly pro-Israel but that’s a given for something that was once known as The Jewish Hour.   

Still, I can’t help but note how terribly produced this show often is and I sometimes listen to it just to see how far off the rails it can go. And it regularly does.

Some examples:

-Her guests are frequent no-shows. It happens so many times that she has to vamp while her operators are desperately trying to get hold of them. And she tells her audience the guest “hasn’t called in yet.” Look, I’m all for saving on long distance charges, but how cheap can you be? You phone them well ahead of time and get the guy or gal on hold so that doesn’t happen several times a week. Other times, the guest just forgets and is doing something else. It takes place so often, it’s laughable.

-She constantly gets names, countries, positions and worse yet, facts wrong. The breadth of the host’s ignorance – all the while insisting on how smart she is and how important her show is  – is astounding. A few weeks ago, she noted that the parents of Otto Warmbeir – the kid who came back from North Korea in a coma and died soon after – were at Trump’s State of the Union address. But she not only got his name wrong, none of it was even close. She said something like “William Cornhouser” or a similar fictional moniker on air when she referenced his name.

During the debate about pulling down Confederate statues in the U.S., she interjected into a guest expert by telling him that George Washington was also in that group. What???  Clueless.

-She frequently reads headlines right out of the newspaper. You can always tell when she’s doing this, because she starts the sentence with “Well, apparently,” then reads the non-sentence verbatim on air. How bad does it get? One time, I actually heard her read this on air: “The Israeli General, pictured, denies the charges.” Yes, she said the word “pictured” as she read the copy off a website. And it appeared she had no idea of what she did. Incredible.

-She seems unable or unwilling to turn off her mic. She constantly has it on and you can hear her clearing her throat, rattling her papers and other noise, even though they’re going into a pre-recorded spot that means her mic has no reason to be on. Strange.

-Even her intro is screwed up, with the late Harvey Atkin intoning, “Heeeere’s Zelda!” only to have them launch into an El Al spot every single morning (except Sunday) that most certainly ISN’T Zelda.

-There are also constant technical snafus. On Sunday, she started the show complaining on air that her headphones weren’t working. Instead of going to music or a spot, she delayed the program live, wasting two minutes of valuable air time insisting it be fixed.

-This one’s incredible. I once heard her start the program over her cell phone. Why? She apparently forgot her show prep at home and had to go back to get it. By the time she got on the road, traffic was terrible and she was late for her show. Still, she gamely intro’d her guest and did a back and forth until she boldly announced she was pulling into the station’s parking lot and was on her way up to the studio in the elevator.

But her cell wouldn’t work there, so she asked the guest – who was plugging an event and was not a broadcaster – to just keep talking until she got there. Well, you can guess what happened next. The guy ran out of things to say and began asking for her on air. “Zelda? Zelda? Are you there?” Dead silence. So he kept rambling on about nothing until she finally arrived. I have to admit I’ve never heard anything quite like it.

-There’s a rabbi who’s on five times a week. A more arrogant man you’ve never heard. I met him just once. He was counseling a man who had just lost his father less than a week before. When the man mentioned he would drive to synagogue that Saturday to honour him, this so-called “learned man” responded, “Of course you know that’s a sin!” Nice way to comfort a grieving son. I’ve hated him ever since then and that same know-it-all attitude surfaces every day on air.

-Her experts are fine. But her paid sponsors, none of whom are I.D.'d as such, are another story. She has a paid naturopathic “doctor” on several times a week who puts forth stuff that in my mind equates to quackery. Apparently you can cure anything with the right herbs and vitamins. Good to know.

-This sponsor’s husband is also on the show and has been for decades. (He goes back so far, his intro is voiced by Carl Redhead, a former CHIN exec/announcer who’s been dead since 2002.) He’s a financial advisor. Is he any good? I have no idea but I would never give him a dime of my money after something he pulled many years ago.

His segment came on several minutes late that day and he was absolutely fuming. As Zelda tried to calm him down, he launched into a tirade about her producer, insisting some people should “not have their job,” he hated incompetence and he wanted that person fired. She tried to change the subject but he wouldn’t let it go, railing on and on – all on air – about how this producer should be terminated immediately.

As someone who’s both hosted and produced talk shows over the years, one of the Golden Rules is that you don’t publicly shame or blame your behind-the-scenes personnel, who after all, are the ones whose job it is to make you sound good. This was decades ago, but I’ve never forgiven this idiot for that outrageous temper tantrum.  

And that’s just a small list! Sorry it was so lengthy, but I’ve been thinking about this particular show for a very long time. I just can’t believe I’m not the only one who listens to it. Although sometimes I wonder why I bother at all.  

February 20, 2018 7:28 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

-There’s a rabbi who’s on five times a week. A more arrogant man you’ve never heard. 

Really? Does he own a jewellry store with multiple locations that are perpetually going out of business? Does he have a current ad on that, in one breath, slams Valentine's Day for the commercialism of it, then, in another, promptly goes to whine about his current Valentine's sale? Does he have ridiculous discounts that even an award-winning mathematician can't figure out? (75% off then take another 75% off, then take off the HST, then take off another 50%)  Does he also own a restaurant that specializes in seniors lounging around nursing a 1/4 cup of tepid tea ad infinitum?  Is he that guy?

February 20, 2018 8:03 pm  #15

No, but the rabbi is not a businessman and he should know better. (You might say he's more concerned with Jewry than jewelry.)

By the way, the guy you're talking about was also on the air this month with a spot claiming a "survey" showed his store was voted the favourite jewelry outlet in all of Toronto. 

Oh really? By who? What survey? What were the numbers? Who took the survey and what questions were asked to which people?

And oh yeah, whatever happened to truth in advertising? 

February 20, 2018 8:40 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

the guy you're talking about was also on the air this month with a spot claiming a "survey" showed his store was voted the favourite jewelry outlet in all of Toronto. Oh really? By who? What survey? What were the numbers? Who took the survey and what questions were asked to which people? And oh yeah, whatever happened to truth in advertising? 

C'mon, we both know Jack is VERY prone to hyperbole and rhetoric. The amount of half-truths he spouts speaks to his character and, by extension, business acumen. He routinely uses the death of his mother as guilt-based fodder to sell his Mama's Day cubic zirconium.  That's low. ("Listen, I can't give my Mother some jewellry because she's dead in the ground, so you shouldn't take the woman that spawn you for granted and why not go into hawk by buying her some rock?")

When he had a show on-air, (which, he undoubtedly paid for) he routinely lied and said the "phone lines are jammed". Yet, he didn't place any of those calls on air. Hmmm....

Maybe it's time he take on nap on My Pillow and then sell his hobble via Leo the Agent and take a slumber at the Britton House. Heck, have a snack of some of Halinda's deli meats.

February 21, 2018 12:53 pm  #17

Wow, I never thought one-hour of radio on a brokered station would generate such a reaction.  I had no idea.

Then again, maybe I should have.  In the 80s I was doing some work with Angelo Cremisio at CIAO and I remember him making a quip about having to keep a couple of shows far apart from each other on the schedule otherwise the hosts would probably kill each other.  He may not have been exaggerating.

February 21, 2018 4:51 pm  #18

One more thing - if anyone from this show ever reads this, can you please raise the damn levels on your phone interviews? It drives me crazy when you can't hear the guest, then Zelda comes on or you change the station and you almost blow your eardrums out because you've had to turn the volume up so loud.

Is anyone monitoring the VU's or the PPMs or whatever they're using over there?  

February 21, 2018 5:44 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

One more thing - if anyone from this show ever reads this, can you please raise the damn levels on your phone interviews? It drives me crazy when you can't hear the guest, then Zelda comes on or you change the station and you almost blow your eardrums out because you've had to turn the volume up so loud.

Is anyone monitoring the VU's or the PPMs or whatever they're using over there?  

SERIOUSLY? You listen to this crap? I'd expect this kind of trolling comment from Geo or that sandwich that I blocked a long time ago, but not you.