sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2018 6:03 pm  #31

Re: The One FM Format Toronto Has Never Tried

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that another important reason why True oldies works (or doesn't) in the States is because of their freedom to own up to 60% of a market there.
The whole idea behind the True oldies format doesn't have to be about making large amounts of money (if at all)
Instead, the True oldies format can easily be a tax write off, existing simply to compliment a cluster so it's a station that is not a direct threat to other stations in the same cluster. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 31, 2018 6:39 pm  #32

geo wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

And now you're in bed by 9 PM!

The other difference is that in '58, Little Richard and Jerry Lee were enjoyed on AM radio whereas in 2018 a cassette or CD player provides the tunes

Spotify provides Little Richard and Jerry Lee in remastered crisp quality via your phone 

January 31, 2018 6:44 pm  #33

markow202 wrote:

Spotify provides Little Richard and Jerry Lee in remastered crisp quality via your phone 

all I get is a dial tone

January 31, 2018 9:30 pm  #34

geo wrote:

markow202 wrote:

all I get is a dial tone

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 31, 2018 10:04 pm  #35

I gotta question, how does G98.7 and Indie 88.1, make a living via selling advertising with ratings and shares so so low?
Who's buying them and why?
Do advertisers get results when they do?

I would love to hear from the board members...thanks

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 31, 2018 10:41 pm  #36

Don't look at the 12+ numbers.

In the monthly ratings released today, Indie88 is ahead of FAN, 640, The MOVE, and Radio 2 25-54, likely with lower costs than all of them.

G98.7 makes good money through non-traditional on-air opportunities and Indie makes more online than 680 News. 

Last edited by Don (January 31, 2018 10:45 pm)

January 31, 2018 11:03 pm  #37

The only numbers that matter -- AMA 25-54.

January 31, 2018 11:44 pm  #38

Given those numbers, let's see how Mike spins it tomorrow. Oh, he'll say something snarky about "there hasn't been enough time" and his Bored Bunnies will chime in with their usual faux laughter. 🤔🚽

February 3, 2018 1:45 pm  #39

Jody Thornton wrote:

geo wrote:

The other difference is that in '58, Little Richard and Jerry Lee were enjoyed on AM radio whereas in 2018 a cassette or CD player provides the tunes

.   Uh Geo?  I think you meant 1998 for the cassette deck and CD player       

In his regular column in today's Tor Star Wheels, Jim Kenzie says the age of vehicles on the road has never been older, and goes on to state that any new car bought today will be better than the one it replaces.   Who in their right mind would replace an older vehicle that runs fine, with one not equipped with essential equipment like a cassette deck and CD player?    Priorities, baby.

Last edited by Jonny (February 3, 2018 2:07 pm)