sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2017 2:00 am  #1

CHCH and City

Tonight on the CHCH weekend news, they were using streeter interviews from City. The City mic was clearly in the shot. I've noticed City footage before on CHCH, but usually on the weekend news only. Do they have some deal together?

December 3, 2017 3:55 am  #2

Re: CHCH and City

Brad wrote:

Tonight on the CHCH weekend news, they were using streeter interviews from City. The City mic was clearly in the shot. I've noticed City footage before on CHCH, but usually on the weekend news only. Do they have some deal together?

What was the news issue? Was it a local Hamilton issue? Or something that crosses over between Toronto and Hamilton?
Here's an example of CHCH keeping it local, without any Toronto coverage of anything (and no City mic):

http://www.chch.com/affordable-banking/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 4, 2017 8:01 pm  #3

It was the #MeToo rally/protest in Toronto.

December 5, 2017 4:21 am  #4

Brad wrote:

It was the #MeToo rally/protest in Toronto.

I figured as much.
As I've said, maybe it's just for the Toronto related news coverage. 
Perhaps as a polite way of saying they're in the business of informing Hamilton of what's going on in both Toronto and Hamilton, but not really in the Toronto news business.

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 5, 2017 4:25 am)

December 5, 2017 2:15 pm  #5

Aren't they all doing that 'tits for tats' thing?  Sometimes CITY has the same Saturday night prime-time NHL game on as the Canadian Broadcorping Casteration.  Sometimes it's one of the Sportnet channels...you know...the girls who fired Greg Zaun...ya...THOSE 'guys'...sharing the same broadcast as the CBC.

Rogers paid exceptionally LARGE dollars to do THAT?  I retract.  They ARE NOT 'girls'.  They're stupid girls...and poorly dressed.

So CHCH's [who fired almost everybody a year ago] using someone else's 'street poop' is 'small potatoes'.  [rather like the current and re-current Rogers hierarchy are 'small potatoes'.]  Watch your step.

December 5, 2017 4:00 pm  #6

CBC's deal with Rogers regarding the NHL was an exceptionally stupid one. IIRC they basically forfeited the ability to earn any ad revenue during those broadcasts with Rogers only giving them a show promo per break.

December 5, 2017 4:41 pm  #7

Old Codger wrote:

Aren't they all doing that 'tits for tats' thing?  Sometimes CITY has the same Saturday night prime-time NHL
game on as the Canadian Broadcorping Casteration.  

Nothing to do with it. Rogers paid top dollar for Hockey rights and that is public knowledge.

The news content on CHCH is licenced to be something that serves Hamilton as a reliable local news source.
It is understandable when they borrow from other news sources for content outside of Hamilton.
Thankfully, (so far) it looks like their goal is to keep the Hamilton stories local with local Hamilton reporters that are best known to the Hamilton viewer. 
(That, or if not a regular, at least some unknown face with a CHCH mic reporting local CHCH news.)

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 5, 2017 5:12 pm)

December 5, 2017 5:26 pm  #8

Ya Wiz...I know it has absolutely nothing to do with it...yet...it does.  'Hamilton' is just small time stupid.  Rogers' stupidity is one of a kind.  Z'how ya go belly up.