sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2017 9:44 am  #1

CHFI Officially Jumps To All-Christmas-All-The-Time

As regular as a laxative taker, CHFI started its annual all-Christmas-all-the-time sked on Monday, the day after the Santa Claus Parade. The endless debates about this format will likely be ignited here again, but even those of us who despise this yearly Yule-ery foolery have to admit it brings in good numbers. 

I can't remember the last time I listened to 98.1, but it certainly won't happen between now and January!

Still, as this article from the Chicago Tribune shows, the non-stop ho ho ho-ing has a proven lasting impact.

So what are the top songs played, at least down south? According to the Trib article, the most spins nationally in 2016 came from the following, proving if nothing else, that when it comes to Christmas, "oldies" is not a dirty word. 

Song                                                               Artist                                           2016 spins                         Year 
"Feliz Navidad"                                               Jose Feliciano                              35,223                                1970
"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"             Brenda Lee                                   33,342                                1962
"A Holly Jolly Christmas"                                Burl Ives                                        32,629                                1965
"Jingle Bell Rock"                                           Bobby Helms                                 32,245                                1962
"All I Want For Christmas"                              Mariah Carey                                 31,377                                1994
"The Christmas Song"                                    Nat King Cole                                 29,772                               1949
"Christmas Eve Sarajevo"                              Trans-Siberian Orchestra               28,293                                1995
"It's the Most Wonderful Time"                       Andy Williams                                 27,086                                1963
"White Christmas"                                          Bing Crosby                                    24,113                                1944
"It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Xmas"       Johnny Mathis                                23,911                                1986

Last edited by RadioActive (November 20, 2017 9:58 am)

November 20, 2017 10:15 am  #2

Re: CHFI Officially Jumps To All-Christmas-All-The-Time

Well, the ageist sarcasm aside, the list above proves that it's actually the older stuff that gets the most airplay. Apparently Christmas music is immune to the "just play the new stuff" mentality.   

November 20, 2017 10:17 am  #3

I also like "The Little Drummer Boy" Harry Simmeon Chorale- 1958 and "The Christmas Song" Chestnuts Roasting etc. Nat King Cole-1947?? I am not against Christmas music. 2 or 3 songs an hour mixed into the regular format is fine. 24/7 Christmas tunes send me on spin cycle and definitely gets me out of the holiday spirit. Unfortunately, I am in the minority as most people do like it. The ratings explode on A/C stations that make the switch. Interestingly, on the few country formatted stations that flip, the ratings are a disaster. Country music fans don't like their format messed with and will not hesitate to switch stations.

November 20, 2017 11:04 am  #4

You can argue the merits 'till you're blue in the face, but it is a proven ratings booster. I still think they start it too early, and the playlists are too narrow. It's generally a tune-out factor for me, but I will listen from time-to-time.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (November 20, 2017 11:05 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 20, 2017 2:31 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I can't stand the "pop" Christmas music.  I prefer the old classical type stuff.  I feel old.  Time to  yell at a cloud.

That's where Jewel 88five would come in handy...whenever they decide to go all Christmas.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 20, 2017 5:30 pm  #6

I'm reminded of the time, a few years ago, when I stopped into a Walmart on a Sunday evening on my home to pick up a few things.  They were playing christmas music but whatever system they were using was having issues.

They were playing Alison Moyet's Coventry Carol on continuous repeat.  I was hearing it over and over and to make matters worse, it was a sunday evening so there wasn't really much noise in the store to cover the music.  It's not a bad song, but once is more than enough.

I was in and out of there in 15 minutes.  I felt sorry for the staff who had to endure it for who knows how long.

Last edited by Peter the K (November 20, 2017 5:30 pm)

November 20, 2017 9:24 pm  #7

Here in Buffalo, once WTSS(Star 102.5)pulls the trigger on going all-Christmas(this year, they did it on November 7th...I think), I pull the trigger on removing it from my car's pre-sets. 

Let me make this clear: I have NOTHING against Christmas music. Just a station starting it THAT early.

November 24, 2017 5:08 pm  #8

CHAY at 93.1 in Barrie becomes the latest to convert to all Christmas. They flipped the switch on Friday.

Never has the New Year seemed so far away!