Offline
This is a well regarded multi-band radio that has been extensively reviewed and generally receives high marks for its sensitivity / adjacent channel selectivity. I would purchase it if I did not already have many radios. It is on sale on Amazon Prime for $109.44 which is a $50 savings. Not sure how long the sale price is good for. Several reviews on YouTube. Probably a good radio for DX work.
Offline
I'm beyond thrilled with my TEF 6866 portable. There's also a small tabletop version. It works wonders for DX, hooked to a good relatively small portable antenna like the Arrow. It's less than stellar with just the whip. What I like best is its capacity for RDS data, including PI codes that are meant to be unique for each station (a small number of stations and networks have RDS codes badly configured, so there's some interesting f-ckups). During intense Es or Tr DX openings, where I behave like I'm on a 'fill the supermarket basket free for 30 second' spree, I blast through the band, noting down calls letters and PI codes. These codes are better than call letters when a network is involved so long as the network doesn't just use the same call letters and PI code for every one of its outlets (hello CBC, Radio Kansas, and others). I can often ID a station which I've only heard running an ad for O'Reilly Auto Parts or McDonalds ad, so for any DXers drawn more by the content than the ID itself this might be like sitting in front of a calculator and watching the pretty numbers. But the TEF is very good at what it does.
Offline

darcyh wrote:
This is a well regarded multi-band radio that has been extensively reviewed and generally receives high marks for its sensitivity / adjacent channel selectivity. I would purchase it if I did not already have many radios. It is on sale on Amazon Prime for $109.44 which is a $50 savings. Not sure how long the sale price is good for. Several reviews on YouTube. Probably a good radio for DX work.
Why did you have to go and post this? I've never heard of this one and now I have to add it to my collection of more than 40 radios.
Offline
turkeytop wrote:
darcyh wrote:
This is a well regarded multi-band radio that has been extensively reviewed and generally receives high marks for its sensitivity / adjacent channel selectivity. I would purchase it if I did not already have many radios. It is on sale on Amazon Prime for $109.44 which is a $50 savings. Not sure how long the sale price is good for. Several reviews on YouTube. Probably a good radio for DX work.
Why did you have to go and post this? I've never heard of this one and now I have to add it to my collection of more than 40 radios.
Me to.
Is it just am and fm or does it have scanner bands, shortwave, and SCMO?
And how good is it at getting distent fm signals from places from brantford?
Offline
I suspect buzz-marketing. It's an unsolicited recommendation.
Offline
These radios have come a long way since I bought my Realistic / Sangean DX 398 and paid about $300 for it. The radio was my faithful travel companion for 15 or more years reliably entertaining and waking me. It was quite sensitive and had RDS too. Often I traveled to Windsor and really enjoyed the stations from Detroit.
New chips have been developed enabling the radios to be more sensitive and selective at a lower cost. Most of the newer models operate on an 18650 battery which I am comfortable using. I don't own the XHData D808 but would buy it if I did not have so many radios. Again there are many reviews on YouTube. Todderburt does a good one.
Saul mentions the TEF 6866 which is actually a bit cheaper on Amazon at around $95. It looks interesting too. I was really hoping the Qudosen DX286 was on sale and probably bought it as it appears to slightly outperform the D808. It is about $165 on Amazon. Again well reviewed and rated.
Offline

darcyh wrote:
These radios have come a long way since I bought my Realistic / Sangean DX 398 and paid about $300 for it. The radio was my faithful travel companion for 15 or more years reliably entertaining and waking me. It was quite sensitive and had RDS too. Often I traveled to Windsor and really enjoyed the stations from Detroit.
You too? In 1994 my wife gave me a DX 370 for Christmas. We were dirt poor back then. She must have really saved up her pennies for that. It was about a $100 radio.
Shortly after that I started a new job. The job involved a lot of travel and a lot of nights away from home. My normal territory was south-west Ontario, from London to Windsor and north to Stratford and Goderich. Also, regular trips to Toronto, Hamilton, Pittsburgh Ottawa and Montreal. The radio became my travel companion. I took it everywhere. It even survived a fall from my second floor balcony in Mexico.
I still have the radio. It's old and beat up looking, just like its owner, but I still use it every day.
Offline
RadioActive wrote:
How big or small is this thing?
The bottom right of your graphic has the measurements.
Offline
AspectRatio wrote:
RadioActive wrote:
How big or small is this thing?
The bottom right of your graphic has the measurements.
Yes I saw that. But I was wondering about the sound out of something so small. No graphic can illustrate that.