Offline
I realize it's a U.S. court ruling, but I'm willing to bet it would have been of intense interest to many Canadians. It was one of the top stories on the U.S. newscasts on Wednesday. Yet it never made the 6 PM newscasts I watched here.
A jury in a case brought by attorneys in 22 states has found Ticketmaster and Live Nation essentially acted as de facto monopolies and bullies who deliberately tried to rip off concertgoers in the U.S. - and if the ruling holds, it could not only cost the company millions of dollars, but potentially break up the entity altogether.
I think that's pretty significant and anyone who has ever bought tickets to a major event in the past few years will be emminently familiar with the way this company operates and the extra charges they manage to pull out of your wallet.
For its part, the firm denies that it's doing anything wrong, saying 'success is not illegal' and vows to appeal. But internal tweets from its own employees helped seal their fate with the jury.
"Jurors also got to see a Live Nation employee’s internal messages to another employee declaring some prices “outrageous,” calling customers “so stupid” and boasting that the company was “robbing them blind, baby.” The employee, Benjamin Baker, who has since been promoted to a position as a ticketing executive, apologetically testified that the messages were “very immature and unacceptable.”
I know the ruling does not apply here, but it would certainly be of interest to Canadian viewers who have strongly believed this is the case here, too. We'll see if any of the local media picks this up on Thursday. It will certainly be great talk show fodder.
Jury finds that Ticketmaster and Live Nation had an anticompetitive monopoly over big concert venues
Offline
Binson Echorec wrote:
Global National had it in their rundown.
Thanks. It was not on any of the local newscasts I watched, but I'm glad to hear at least someone in Canada noted it. I think it's a great story.
Offline
Haven't been watching much TV news today but it is on CTV News Channel on their headlines and CBC News Network both with a story and headlines.
Offline
John Moore just discussed this on his show. It’s pretty bad as I recently wanted to get tickets to a gig that were listed as $66 on Ticketmaster. I waited a day for my buddy to decide and when I returned to make the purchase, I was left with their resale rate, which was $120, almost doubled. The thing that bugs me is that Ticketmaster lists those resale tickets so are obviously in on it. And while we’re at it, concerts are way over priced in general, like most things today! (Sad trombone sfx).
Offline
Cbc and CBC radio covered it quite thoroughly,
Offline
Shorty Wave wrote:
John Moore just discussed this on his show. It’s pretty bad as I recently wanted to get tickets to a gig that were listed as $66 on Ticketmaster. I waited a day for my buddy to decide and when I returned to make the purchase, I was left with their resale rate, which was $120, almost doubled. The thing that bugs me is that Ticketmaster lists those resale tickets so are obviously in on it. And while we’re at it, concerts are way over priced in general, like most things today! (Sad trombone sfx).
And most professional sports teams get a cut from those inflated secondary market prices.