Offline
It still has an "Edge," but it now has an additional title.
CFNY Goes "Iconic Alternative"
Offline
That should be good for Indie 88, depending on their future direction...
Offline
CFNY was probably the only station I listened to when I first moved to Toronto in the 80s, they were unique and had decent programmers. Also, at that age, I didn’t pay too much attention to the news or talk radio, how we change!
Offline
The kids in the meat department at the grocery store where I work all listen to CFNY. I have never been a fan of Alternative music. Recently I have heard some tunes I recognize and a few I can actually tolerate. So they must have made some adjustments to their format.
Offline
Basically they are going to be playing the hits of CFNY of the 90s. Not a bad move, its a throwback genre at this point and nostalgic.
Offline
markow202 wrote:
Basically they are going to be playing the hits of CFNY of the 90s. Not a bad move, its a throwback genre at this point and nostalgic.
I remember being part of a thread a few years ago where the discussion was about the then non-existent classic alternative format. The general consensus was it would be a natural part of the station's evolution but it sounds like they had to test drive elsewhere before bringing it to the the "iconic" frequency. This move should help give them a new lease on life for a few more years, especially as Indie appears to have picked up the audience for the newer stuff.
Offline
The best station for alternative rock in Ontario is Max FM 89.1 out of Orillia.
Offline
mic'em wrote:
The best station for alternative rock in Ontario is Max FM 89.1 out of Orillia.
Agreed. It's hard to find a good alternative station. Even 89X plays non alternative songs that are still rock based. So for me I usually listen to The Peak Vancouver, Alt 94.3 Winnipeg (both former Now branded stations), or I listen to Max FM or FREQ Peterborough which is still leaps and bounds better than Power 97 and the 2 Edge branded stations.
I know Corus is like the Titanic, and slowly sinking, but I wonder why a lot of there stations have such a narrow playlist. It was the same with Bell. Once Whiteoaks took over in Hamilton and Niagara region the playlists expanded. Legend and HTZ have amazing playlists. Indie also has a much better playlist than Edge has had for years. I know it might be to late for Corus but they should find a way to expand the playlist and give a much better music selection on all stations, Fresh, Jump, Energy, The Beat, Magic, Q, Boom, Big, Edge, Dave, FM96, Y108 and Country. As well as CFOX and Rock 101, and Chuck. They need to do something to get listeners back and if they can't afford to hire people to host maybe improve playlists, get some of the US syndicated shows or something to bring entertainment back to radio