sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2017 6:20 pm  #1

FM 108 revived

Any former FM 108 listeners here? Russ Horton has in my opinion done an excellent job of bringing back the Burlington, Ont., oldies station on the Internet as fm108.ca. Many of the former CING-FM jocks are back including the man who was there at the beginning, Glenn "The Godfather" Darling. The music is very close to what FM 108 played during its era as an oldies station (1978-1990) - a wide variety of tunes from the '50s, '60s and '70s. Russ and his team deserve a lot of credit for taking on this task and bringing it to fruition. Bravo!

http://fm108.ca

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 12, 2017 2:14 am  #2

Re: FM 108 revived

I'm guessing FM 108 on the internet sounds a lot better today than it did years ago as an FM station.
CRTC can't cut in and dictate the music.
No 35-40% Can Con (was 30% back then)
and no 49% non hit rule.  (gone for many years now, but it was a major staple for FM in Canada
during the FM 108 years)

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 12, 2017 2:16 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 12, 2017 6:29 am  #3

That 49% non-hit rule is the main reason Top 40 remained on AM in Canada well in to the 80's and early 90's. South of the border, AM Top 40's saw the writing on the wall in the early to mid 70's and most, but not all, moved the format to FM. I believe CKLW, with all the competition from Detroit FM rockers, had concrete plans to move the "BIG 8" format to their sister FM in the very early 80's. At the last minute word came down from, I assume, upper management saying don't do it. Fear that the CRTC would impose the "Wrath of God" on them perhaps? Those in this forum who worked at the station or in the market back then would probably know the "rest of the story" as the late Paul Harvey would say many times.

August 12, 2017 8:36 am  #4

Congratulations to the team at FM108.  Especially my old friend Dale Patterson.  How easy it is to listen to it.  Just hit "Listen Live" and up comes the player.  How about a little background information Dale.  Where are the broadcasts originating from?

August 12, 2017 9:23 am  #5

The station is based in Georgetown. However, everybody does their voice-tracks from their own location. We send our voice-tracks to Russ, he edits them and puts them in the system. Russ is responsible for the music and he has some tech people on board to help him with technical issues. I've offered a few suggestions and Russ has implemented them. Hoping to get over to Georgetown sometime to do a live show!

August 12, 2017 10:39 am  #6

I too wish to express my heart felt thanks to Russ Horton for his dedication in bringing the Golden Great Revival back to life after almost 40 years. It is a labour of love for those of us who have been given a new broadcast life, so to speak. As Co-Owner of fm108.ca I look forward to taking our brand of 50's 60's and 70's music around the world, one pair of ears at a time. With internet, the world is indeed our oyster. Russ and I intend to pursue getting fm108.ca into homes and businesses all over the globe. The contributions in the past of people I hired, like Julius (Jay Brown) Banfai, Larry Smith, Rockin Robin, Dave Terryberry, and a host of others are brought to life again for me, when I hear their favorite songs, the ones they used as signatures... just like I did with I Love How You Love by the Paris Sisters and Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago. And now that the juices are flowing again I intend to start coming back here again and again to share some of the stories behind the little Burlington radio station that could... and did... become a legend in its own mind, on a diet of oldies music and the flogging of anything I could get my hands on to sell on air. Like Reindeer Dust and Mystery Boxes, and Trojan Ends condoms, CB radios and tons of records from Neil Patty at Continental Records, and then there were the wonderful dinner dances at Leisure Lodge in Cambridge where Julius Banfai and I got Frank Zalnai (sp) to take a chance on us and proceed to fill the join with acts like Chubby Checker, and Bobby Vee. Believe it or not Jan and Dean were a no show for a full house and I thought I was going to be hung and quartered. So I am looking forward to speaking up here from time to time with a story or two.

August 12, 2017 11:54 am  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

The station is based in Georgetown.  
Hoping to get over to Georgetown sometime to do a live show!

We'll be glad to see you.    You can't go wrong visiting Georgetown.

geo town

August 12, 2017 11:56 am  #8

Its nice to hear FM108 Back. I was a fun place to work back in the day and I sure learned lots about music.

August 13, 2017 6:48 am  #9

Took a listen. Heard "Blue Collar Man" by Styx, then some BTO... Just added 108 to my home page. Funny how these days some of the best radio is online. Thanks to Dale and the whole gang for the good sounds.😎

August 13, 2017 10:49 am  #10

betaylored wrote:

Took a listen. Heard "Blue Collar Man" by Styx, then some BTO... Just added 108 to my home page. Funny how these days some of the best radio is online. Thanks to Dale and the whole gang for the good sounds.😎

I compare online radio to the free-form FM radio of the late '60s, or the U.K. pirate broadcasters of the '60s. It's programmed from the heart, and there are no consultants or corporations to answer to. Creativity is encouraged, not stifled. I like fm108.ca because while there is a structure, there is plenty of room for creativity. Glad I got to experience the free-form radio of the late '60s and many, many years later, the online radio of today.

August 14, 2017 7:50 am  #11

I think Russ is on to a good concept here. That is, take all the elements from a radio station from the past and attempt to recreate that station. Another station doing it is oWOW, which is recreating Cleveland rocker WWMS. If I had the resources, I would attempt to recreate CKFH, or maybe WGR or CKOC. Wouldn't it be fun!

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/07/cleveland-based_internet_radio.html.

August 14, 2017 10:26 pm  #12

GlennDarling wrote:

I too wish to express my heart felt thanks to Russ Horton for his dedication in bringing the Golden Great Revival back to life after almost 40 years. It is a labour of love for those of us who have been given a new broadcast life, so to speak. As Co-Owner of fm108.ca I look forward to taking our brand of 50's 60's and 70's music around the world, one pair of ears at a time. With internet, the world is indeed our oyster. Russ and I intend to pursue getting fm108.ca into homes and businesses all over the globe. The contributions in the past of people I hired, like Julius (Jay Brown) Banfai, Larry Smith, Rockin Robin, Dave Terryberry, and a host of others are brought to life again for me, when I hear their favorite songs, the ones they used as signatures... just like I did with I Love How You Love by the Paris Sisters and Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago. And now that the juices are flowing again I intend to start coming back here again and again to share some of the stories behind the little Burlington radio station that could... and did... become a legend in its own mind, on a diet of oldies music and the flogging of anything I could get my hands on to sell on air. Like Reindeer Dust and Mystery Boxes, and Trojan Ends condoms, CB radios and tons of records from Neil Patty at Continental Records, and then there were the wonderful dinner dances at Leisure Lodge in Cambridge where Julius Banfai and I got Frank Zalnai (sp) to take a chance on us and proceed to fill the join with acts like Chubby Checker, and Bobby Vee. Believe it or not Jan and Dean were a no show for a full house and I thought I was going to be hung and quartered. So I am looking forward to speaking up here from time to time with a story or two.

Off topic but...I grew up 1 block away from Glendarling Rd. in Etobicoke.  Bob Pulford married a woman...last name McIlroy who lived at 10 Glendarling.  He drove a Hearn Pontiac back then and we always knew when he was there.  I went over one time, circa 1960, while he was there and rang the doorbell asking if I could have his autograph.  He came to the door, signed my official Toronto Maple leaf/Maple Leaf Gardens hockey program and off I trundled...happy as a lamb.

So?  You GO Glenn!!!  I also used to deliver the Toronto Star on the street they named after you.  -)  Ah the memories!!!

August 16, 2017 3:25 pm  #13

Tried several times this afternoon to tune in, there's a "service is currently disabled!" announcement up. Hope everything returns to business as usual by midnight. Falling asleep listening to "The Shadow" on FM108 is way more fun than the offerings on other stations, like "Toast to Toast" and american overnight sports shows.😎

August 16, 2017 5:08 pm  #14

Congratulations to Dale Patterson & Glenn Darling and the whole gang for reviving FM108.ca on the Net.  As mentioned in an earlier post, no worries about CRTC dictates - just go with the oldies.  I'll listen as much as possible.

​(Not in the business - just very interested in the workings of radio!!!)

August 16, 2017 9:17 pm  #15

lhpalter77 wrote:

Congratulations to Dale Patterson & Glenn Darling and the whole gang for reviving FM108.ca on the Net.  As mentioned in an earlier post, no worries about CRTC dictates - just go with the oldies.  I'll listen as much as possible.

​(Not in the business - just very interested in the workings of radio!!!)

Thanks for the kudos, but the real credit should go to the co-owners of the station, Russ Horton and Glenn Darling. I do a weekend show but am not involved with the operation of the station.

August 17, 2017 8:01 pm  #16

AMFM wrote:

Congratulations to the team at FM108.  Especially my old friend Dale Patterson.  How easy it is to listen to it.  Just hit "Listen Live" and up comes the player.  How about a little background information Dale.  Where are the broadcasts originating from?

Maybe, but the listen live does not work at the moment     17-aug-2017 1759h
This is problem, as I only listen online with web-radio or smart phone with b/t to portable speaker.

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs... 
~ John McClane

August 17, 2017 8:34 pm  #17

You can also listen at this link:

http://gemini.shoutca.st/start/fm108ca/

August 23, 2017 11:50 am  #18

How are the producers dealing with the issue of paying royalties for the music they play? Is there some kind of license for online stations? I have been away from following the intricacies of licensing and music rights use for quite some time.

August 23, 2017 2:14 pm  #19

Andyp wrote:

How are the producers dealing with the issue of paying royalties for the music they play?

S-h-h-h-h-h-h-h

August 23, 2017 2:35 pm  #20

Dale Patterson wrote:

I think Russ is on to a good concept here. That is, take all the elements from a radio station from the past and attempt to recreate that station. Another station doing it is oWOW, which is recreating Cleveland rocker WWMS. If I had the resources, I would attempt to recreate CKFH, or maybe WGR or CKOC. Wouldn't it be fun!

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/07/cleveland-based_internet_radio.html.

>>>hmmmm...CKOC? listened to the CHTG Grand at 92.9 lately ? Peter Jaycock, Ted Yates, Rockin Ray, Shelly...and lots of other oldies!

August 24, 2017 12:25 pm  #21

Bristol wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

>>>hmmmm...CKOC? listened to the CHTG Grand at 92.9 lately ? Peter Jaycock, Ted Yates, Rockin Ray, Shelly...and lots of other oldies!

Correct you are. The Grand has done a great job of bringing back the CKOC gang. The only other local example I can think of is WWKB, which attempted to recreate the legendary WKBW from 2003 to 2006. For a time, the lineup included Dan Neaverth and Tom Donahue in mornings, Sandy Beach late mornings, Hank Nevins afternoon drive and Jack Armstrong (in North Carolina) in evenings. Ratings were poor and the format died in February '06.

August 24, 2017 8:49 pm  #22

The fm108.ca stream is working again. Wild Bill is on right now!

http://fm108.ca

August 29, 2017 4:32 am  #23

Dale Patterson wrote:

Bristol wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Correct you are. The Grand has done a great job of bringing back the CKOC gang. The only other local example I can think of is WWKB, which attempted to recreate the legendary WKBW from 2003 to 2006. For a time, the lineup included Dan Neaverth and Tom Donahue in mornings, Sandy Beach late mornings, Hank Nevins afternoon drive and Jack Armstrong (in North Carolina) in evenings. Ratings were poor and the format died in February '06.

Note, please, that WECK/1230 in the Buffalo market now has Donahue(still doing mornings after all these years)and Neaverth(doing Friday afternoons); Jon Summers, Harv Moore & Mike Jacobs(all Buffalo radio vets)are on staff.

August 29, 2017 9:12 am  #24

ckg927 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Bristol wrote:

Note, please, that WECK/1230 in the Buffalo market now has Donahue(still doing mornings after all these years)and Neaverth(doing Friday afternoons); Jon Summers, Harv Moore & Mike Jacobs(all Buffalo radio vets)are on staff.

Kind of a mix of personalities from different stations over the years, rather than a tribute to just one station, but they have the right idea. Additionally, they have news veteran John Zach in the mornings and Gail Ann Huber co-hosting with Donahue.

September 23, 2017 10:26 am  #25

I noticed that the link from the Rock Radio Scrapbook is working now. Listening now and even heard some ads. Good luck to all as running an online station is not easy and getting listeners even harder.
http://www.fm108.ca/

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 23, 2017 6:19 pm  #26

Fitz wrote:

running an online station is not easy and getting listeners even harder.

There's another side to that coin.
Having too many listeners leads to (much) higher streaming costs, which creeps upon you when you least expect it.

September 23, 2017 11:00 pm  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Having too many listeners leads to (much) higher streaming costs, which creeps upon you when you least expect it.

Not sure how the business model works for an online station that sells adverts but I would think that if they can show higher number of listeners to the advertisers they would generate more revenue.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 24, 2017 12:17 am  #28

Fitz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Not sure how the business model works for an online station that sells adverts but I would think that if they can show higher number of listeners to the advertisers they would generate more revenue.

Internet radio is a whole new animal.
The missing information is how much the stream cost climbs and how much businesses are willing to pay to advertise if the stream only climbs slightly over the bandwidth line vs. a larger listening base.

It is to my understanding that when an internet station breaks bandwidth, the owner of that station has to pay more money no matter what, (to keep the stream running) while the advertiser just might have the right to declare that there are not enough listeners to pay a higher rate to advertise.

September 24, 2017 10:20 am  #29

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

The streaming service my company offers isn't priced around number of viewers or listeners "tuned in". We can stream to hundreds of thousands of devices around the world without added cost.

I'm intrigued, how do you do that?  Admittedly you can pretty much promise the vast majority of online stations 50,000 streams, since they'll never exceed 30, but I 'd love to know how you can support that claim without reverting to fromage like peer casting.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 3, 2017 8:26 am  #30

Julius Banfai put me on to FM 108 back in the day. Glad to hear it's back up and running.